Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

I just listened to Apple's amazing co-founder and leader, Steve Jobs, in his recent commencement speech (at Stanford University, I believe...). His down-to-earth perspective on life and death was hearteningly serene and a calming outlook indeed. This was the forthright commentary of a true realist and atheist, from a man of unbelievable insight and inspiration, and of course, a man of significant accomplishment.

His relentless curiosity, inquisitiveness, scientist's perspective and ingenuity allowed him to transcend the limits that so many of us seem OK with burdening ourselves with, especially if we choose to depend on others for their perspective.

He noted that even those who know they are bound for heaven do not want to die. However, he chose, in his life, to "get on with it", to get up each morning and test his own perspectives and ideas. He was, in fact, strongly motivated by the imminence of his mortality, and he wanted to leave a legacy of inventiveness, entrepreneurial success and individualism.

His creativity and courage will be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
rip>> we will all bite the dust..

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I still have my functioning 12 year old iMac and an 8 year old Mac G4 on which I am working now. It's a great machine.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
I really admired him.:cryin g:

Last edited by Sizzly Friddle; 10-05-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: overdid the emoticons!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Rifleman: An excellent eulogy.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
I'am so glad he is not suffering any longer but dang. Thanks for the technology Steve, and you too Wozniak.

Of course Steve Jobs was adopted early in life, he was certainly a genius but I wanted to give thanks to his adoptive parents who allowed him to be himself starting in their garage.
Thanks to all of you (adoptive) parents who do not stifle the spirits of innovation.

Apple family we are going to be okay.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
It seems even the people who hate him and want him to go to hell use his products! That says a lot I feel.

Then again that particular group of people are not exactly known for intellectual honesty, consistency or.... well anything good at all.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I LOVE MY MACS!!!! I am a systems engineer and design Windows networks. I think it was precisely this work that turned me to the Mac. I hope Gates isn't montoring as I wouldn't want him to pull my certs in retribution.

RIP Steve Jobs. Thanks for making a computer we can count on!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It seems even the people who hate him and want him to go to hell use his products! That says a lot I feel.

Then again that particular group of people are not exactly known for intellectual honesty, consistency or.... well anything good at all.
Hilarious. Also worth considering that if not for Steve and Woz, the Internet would likely still just be the domain of nerdy engineering majors and the military, and practically nobody outside of Topeka would have ever even heard of WBC.

Come to think of it, that's maybe not the most rousing endorsement of the man...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
I'm not a fan of Apple, the company, for I disagree with them on several levels.

However I recognize that the vision of Steve Jobs drastically changed what our technology is, encompassing both the good and the bad. I'm sure his technical skills are up there, more more important was his vision. He didn't have to be able to design and build an iPhone or iPad, he just had to have the vision, then tell the engineers to go make one.

Perhaps because he didn't feel the need to stifle his mind by talking to invisible friends it allow his vision to soar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality