U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2011, 09:06 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,399,212 times
Default Thessalonians vs. Today's Politics:

I am studying 2 Thessalonians and am thinking of the 99% mob:
Pay particular attention to 2 Thessalonians 3:10. "If a man will not work, he shall not eat".
So, the 99% mob wants government to give them everything so they don't have to work. They then become a burden on society. Then read 2 Thessalonians 3:8. "Nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden on any of you".
How relevant that is today!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Pay particular attention to 2 Thessalonians 3:10. "If a man will not work, he shall not eat".
So, the 99% mob wants government to give them everything so they don't have to work. They then become a burden on society. Then read 2 Thessalonians 3:8. "Nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden on any of you".
kill them with hunger? that's a great plan!!! we shall surely purge their genes, and work on for eternity... eat to work and work to eat to work to eat to work to eat to replicate an offspring before you die, to make it work to eat and eat to work and then replicate an offspring and keep the cycle going, this is the only way for biological organism to survive. Surely, if a dog will not work, he shall not eat! If the lotus will not work, then it shall not EAT! Or is it perhaps that if the lotus does not eat... it cannot possibly work. No, that couldn't possibly be.

It a child will not work, it shall not eat.
If a baby will not work, it shall not eat.
If a lame man will not work, it shall not eat.

If a man cannot find work, we shall allow him to die. What an ethical philosophy!

A genius this Jew called Paul was, truly a misunderstood genius. A scholar of economic thought. A luminary for political understanding. *end sarcasm*

The reason Thessalonians is not the only book the Christians worship is because it is a horrible letter, when taken by itself.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:15 PM

3,199 posts, read 1,494,016 times
I'm sure the bible says things about greed. I'm also sure it has something to say about charity.

The 99% protesters don't want everything handed to them they just want corporations and the super wealthy to pay their fair share.

Doesn't it bother you that corporations own our elected officials? Don't fool yourself the people don't run this country. We're run by corporations and special interests.

Vinylly you may want to watch something other than Fox News.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM

31,385 posts, read 17,783,007 times
Quote:
Not very much since you've completely blown the reason that Paul spoke to the Thessalonians in this manner. If you actually knew your book you would know that the Thessalonians had abandoned their fields and work in anticipation of Jesus's return. Why work if judgment was at hand, get it??? So Paul was instructing them to get back to work because their was no telling when Jesus would return.

As for the rest... if you can't get your citation right what would be the point of trying explain anything else to you.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 3,823,902 times
Leviticus 23-22
"And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God. "

I believe this verse speaks more the effort of the 99%. They are protesting the lack of jobs and corporate greed that is destroying the world by eliminating any means of the common man to survive.

We should be following the teachings of Jesus and I doubt you will find any reference in his words that justify excessive profit and greed at the expense of the least of our society.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM

617 posts, read 483,114 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to keep this post short because if I really go all out to address this ignorance the way I should, I'll earn myself several infractions. So let's just leave it at this: stop getting all your news from Fox and make an effort to educate yourself on the movement you're judging, not to mention the book you're quoting to pass judgment on it.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,344,791 times
The 99%ers should take a bath and get a logical message together.

I agree that the Wall Street-Washington connection is a major problem.

What does that have to do with you taking out a bunch of credit card debt? Did you not know that the $100K Bachelor of Fine Arts degree you got wouldn't command much of a salary when you took that major?

The people who should be protesting are the lunch-pale carrying blue collar workers who had all their jobs shipped overseas, except those jobs that could be replaced by cheap illegal labor.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 PM

617 posts, read 483,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The 99%ers should take a bath and get a logical message together.
No argument there. My main complaint about the movement is that right now it's taking an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to progressive concerns, which is nice but won't get as far (or resonate with the actual 99% of Americans they're supposed to be speaking for) as focusing on a particular issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I agree that the Wall Street-Washington connection is a major problem.

What does that have to do with you taking out a bunch of credit card debt? Did you not know that the $100K Bachelor of Fine Arts degree you got wouldn't command much of a salary when you took that major?

The people who should be protesting are the lunch-pale carrying blue collar workers who had all their jobs shipped overseas, except those jobs that could be replaced by cheap illegal labor.
There are more and more of those folks getting involved every day, as much as corporate-owned media would like to convince you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality