U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,838,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If true evil existed, as in the supposed case of Ted Bundy, mind altering drugs/treatments should not prevent them from acting out.
Mind altering drugs/treatments do not work all of the time, though. We like to think that they do, but that is not always the case.

Greed, hate, the need to control others will still exist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,655,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Mind altering drugs/treatments do not work all of the time, though. We like to think that they do, but that is not always the case.

Greed, hate, the need to control others will still exist...
You have some examples, of course?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,838,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You have some examples, of course?
Ted Bundy for one.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,655,446 times
Quote:
Ted Bundy for one.

Interesting.
What treatments were applied to Mr Bundy that failed?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,447,460 times
Quote:
Ted Bundy for one.

Ted Bundy is no more evil than the Mcdonald's idea for justifying that a vain man cannot be interested in using a credit card; it all is for the suffering insincere. Incidentally, the sincere majority can stuff it for pretending they have no political responsibility to Vote. And last but not least the European Mayonnaise for french fries sucks.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 4,041,924 times
I believe that "evil" as a force on its own does not exist, if it did we would see it reflected in nature, it doesn't exist there either. Evil is nothing more than choices we make that go counter to the norms of society, it only exist in the mind of man.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,233,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Ted Bundy is no more evil than the Mcdonald's idea for justifying that a vain man cannot be interested in using a credit card; it all is for the suffering insincere. Incidentally, the sincere majority can stuff it for pretending they have no political responsibility to Vote. And last but not least the European Mayonnaise for french fries sucks.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,513,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And yet for some reason your all powerful, all knowing, and all loving God created these things and has instilled the ability to do such things into each of us.

Discussing the semantics is what gets people to see the truth
It's also a form of mental masturbation.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM

13,732 posts, read 21,585,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leytonthom View Post
Most acts labelled "evil" will occur. Our nature is to lend to malevolence on occasion. So where does the distinction of good and evil come from?

And as morals are relative, then how can good and evil be objectively defined?
Oh. I regret that I'm responding to an OP who may not be with us any longer. But the question is one I have much passion about.

I am of the belief that the concept of evil is very real and very simple. The OP correctly observed that there's an evil of nature... and I argue that there is one for the realm of humanity as well.

It's obvious that Christians believe in evil as being from something "out there" and not of us... but it gets a hold of us... under our own permission, and it does harm to the host as well as those who come into contact with this host of evil.

Evil itself as a word is obviously the opposite of live. So, logically, evil is that which needlessly seeks to end life. This can be literally, as to kill, or figuratively, as in to kill one's spirit, hopes, dreams, etc.

Buddhists and other religions out there see what some might call evil as merely the other side of a coin... life/death, black/white, growth/decay... that sort of thing.

Some believe that evil comes from St Lucifer. Unfortunately, religion and man in general have blurred the lines of its source. Satan for example. Where does this word really come from? The unfortunate thing about religion, mythology, etc. is the fact that the Gods or [g]ods of the past become the devils of the present.

I believe that there is an evil force and it's only a force... it has no power... but what the host human gives it. Evil has no source... is no source..., so it has to use trickery, lies, half-truths, etc. Evil is a spirit. It has no widow's peak, no horns, and no pointy tail, no red face, no "body".

I look at evil as a choice I can take... usually a matter of choosing to do what's right for the good of all or another... or to take the easy way out so as to avoid perceived pain or a fear or an inconvenience to me.

My brother blew a handful of pepper into my eyes when I was about 5 years old. Right when I rounded the corner, poof! Pepper in my eyes. Now... that isn't so much evil. But for him to laugh at me and lie to my parents that he didn't do it... and get away with it and gloat. What is that? It's not very nice to say the least. To put an employee in a position to be away on work duty during his birthdays, his favorite times of the year like during the Super Bowl, New Years, etc. And to say he did this to his employee to stir him up, stir his wife up, etc. He said he enjoyed doing it. Oh, but now he's a born-again Southern Baptist now and that he's sorry. So who did the evil? The evil doer, or the Evil One? I don't really care. The employer is at very least, guilty of being a not-too-nice person. But did he show any shame for what he had done? Does he have the capacity for true love and kindness and good will toward another?

What is more evil? Senselessly harming a child or harming a child out of selfishness or out of neglect to get to the next crack pipe?

I think it all comes down to that fork in the road. I see people drive and am looking to see if there's a lane I can get in where I can be in the middle and drive through town... not to be stuck in the turn off lanes to the right and not to be stuck in the jammed up passing lanes on the left... to have a few car lengths in front of me and to not have someone cutting in on me and not to have someone on my bumper. The way people drive is evil. They are so selfish and willing to risk the lives of others, themselves, and their children... for what? Is this human nature, stupidity, vanity, what? Pride says, "I deserve an open road. You need to get out of my way." Where does this come from? Is this what we talk about at church on Sunday? Oh, wait a minute.

I'm sorry. We don't need to go to church on Sunday. That's all man-made. We don't talk about tailgaiting at church. All we talk about is singing praises to Jesus Christ and our personal righteousness.

The needless taking of life for non-biological reasons or the killing of spirit, hopes, and dreams. I do believe that evil exists.

But then this begs the questions... does good exist? Does good exist and if so, why do people truly do good? I'm not talking about doing kind acts with motive... like donating $1000.00 to the local church whilst they send their abled bodies over to help you move your home from here to there one weekend. I'm talking about doing something good and/or kind for another and not getting caught. Have you done that before? What's your experience of it?

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-11-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,513,226 times
St. Lucifer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or