Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipso View Post
That's not a result of evil. That's a result of lack of opportunity created by an inherently unfair, classist, racist social caste system in the United States.

If you're so desperate to characterize something as "evil", you're more likely to find what you're looking for near the top floor of a skyscraper, where CEOs and Bank presidents pilfer from the middle class and hoard wealth to the detriment of greater society.
So the CEO and bank preside are evil? They must be. You've described as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
due to the nature of survival its impossible not to have extremes in everything...evil is the word for extreme fear in survival and a determination to fix it at someone elses expence....so could a so called evil person express evil on a deserted island with no animals or anything....no, i don't think he or she could unless harm to self....so evil in opinion is an emotional problem which is only relative to social hang ups and acceptence idea's...not a voodoo ghost or something...
Yea right. How many crack dealers are stranded on an island somewhere in a make believe world.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Res Ipso
Quote:
Why is it that there's always about 5-10% of the City Data forum who still think strawman attacks are the way to go? This is a prime example. Someone tell me how this clown hasn't been banned.
Now that is pure evil.
You call my question a strawman attack, while I just call it a legitimate question.
Which btw you still haven't answered.
Acording to you evil is relative so there should be no reason for you to not give me your answer.

Quote:
So is the cheetah acting with "malice" against the gazelle when she gets food for her cubs?

This is why the concept of evil is ridiculous.
No, a cheetah only kills her prey in order to survive.
While, for example, a rapist rapes because he enjoys hurting others.
In short: the difference between a cheetah and a rapist (read: evil person) is that a cheetah acts out of need while the rapist only acts out of want.
With the exception of carrion eaters carnivores, like the cheetah, only kill in order to survive, while a rapist is perfectly able to survive without raping others.

Last edited by Tricky D; 10-10-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Why is it that there's always about 5-10% of the City Data forum who still think strawman attacks are the way to go? This is a prime example. Someone tell me how this clown hasn't been banned.
What was that you said about personal attacks?
You can either answer the question or refrain. But the name calling and the attempt at censure? No, no, no!

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-10-2011, 02:19 PM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Rape in war was often allowed.

In several tribal areas of the Pacific it was allowable to rape members of other villages.
In connection with what - warfare? With no repercussions? Your word is not enough. You'll have to prove that.
Quote:
The Mohave Indians had not concept of rape,
I bet their women did.
Quote:
as the women were required to allow sex with anyone in the tribe.
But your statement is contradictory. "Required to allow?" Then how is it rape? Sounds consensual to me.
Quote:
Prison society allows rape, even if it technically is illegal.
"Prison society?' You mean like high-school society or sweatshop "society?" Joke - right?
Quote:
In Paupa New Guinie, in some of the societies there, almost anything goes.
Another contradiction. Sounds consensual to me. Maybe you don't know the difference. Find out!
Quote:
In biblical times, it was quite all right to rape slaves.
Not true. I the feeling that you can't point to a single case where that happened. See the harm you could have done if I didn't know better?
Quote:
There was no such thing as raping your wife in the U.S. until relatively recently.
Even now, in many societies there is no prohibition from raping ones wife.
Etc.
It is a very difficult charge to prove. How would YOU go about proving it?

In any case, you're avoiding the question - which society allows rape?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

NEWS ITEM:
BOMBARDED BY BRUTALITY
"The Association of Teachers in Germany is urging parents and educators to counteract children’s exposure to brutality displayed by the media. “The alarming glorification of Satanism, drugs, death, and brutality†in hard rock music and on videos can make adolescents insensitive to violence and emotionally impair them, claims the president of the association. Teachers and parents seem to know very little about what videos and hard rock music contain. It is reported that one out of every two young persons does a great amount of horror-video viewing. Young ones rate the films as either good or very good."

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Okay, you can continue to use the word "evil" to your liking, but it carries no definition whatsoever, and has no practical application to the real world. That's the only point here. Ted Bundy had mental problems and compulsions that contributed to him killing people. No one on the planet ever had the exact same brain and mental makeup as Ted Bundy, so we can't know exactly what went on in his head.

That said, when you write someone off as "evil", it's lazy and superstitious, and does nothing to help further society. That's my problem with this artificial construct of yours.
You are saying that Ted Bundy's actions can be attributed to his mental problems and compulsions - the way his brain was formed. And I say that he could have had all of those mental problems/compulsions and not committed the crimes that he committed. He made choices over and over again to do evil things to other people.

I may see "evil choices" where you just see "mental makeup". In my view, Bundy was accountable for all of the evil choices that he made, because 1) he knew what he was doing was wrong/victims were totally innocent and 2) he had the capacity not to do those things - he had full control over where, when, how and therefore if his actions were carried out and 3) he understood the consequences that his actions would have on others. I don't think that's a lazy view at all.

I think people like Ted Bundy define evil more than mere words could ever do.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-10-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Evil is indeed real. What is good and evil. It is defined by God and written in men's hearts. It is in written form also in the Bible. The 10 Commandments are an outline for what defineing what is good and evil. Its not hard to figure out, lying, greed, theft, murder, rebellion against authorities, adultery, and lust all we clearly see outlined in the Bible as evil, and in most cases, societies throughout the world historically have also condemned these.

Yes, children are born this way with evil in their hearts. Christians refer to this as Original Sin.
And yet for some reason your all powerful, all knowing, and all loving God created these things and has instilled the ability to do such things into each of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
As I suspected, this entire thread turned out to be a semantics game.
Discussing the semantics is what gets people to see the truth

Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times
If Bundy or whatever freak is responcible for his actions, then rationally there is no such identity or entity as........evil You guys can't have it both ways, make up your mind.

A bent individual is dimented for social reasons, thats why the crime is always socially related.

a guy climbs up a building and starts shooting everybody....a drug dealer...a raper...killer whatever....its a REMARK to the social....a death sentence which represents the felt death sentence the social has one way or another imposed on the freak...no evil pointy ears required...

rape is basically an invitation to "share" the loss of innosense and control in destiny felt by the rapist...again , no red pointy ears required

the rapist shares and pass's on what is felt in a self victimized ...self understood comprehension....basically a dimented bully. Bullies are created out of experience and go about
sharing the learned experience....theres also a few interesting studies going on with respects to an area in the brain which has been found to be non-active in the conscience free mental case's.
this is not a straight forward ...the devil did it subject...plus I believe consciousness is found in man at varying different levels which has nothing to do with raw intelligence...again awareness and self place or effect on others comes into play...indifference

Last edited by Blue Hue; 10-10-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
If Bundy or whatever freak is responcible for his actions, then rationally there is no such identity or entity as........evil You guys can't have it both ways, make up your mind.

A bent individual is dimented for social reasons, thats why the crime is always socially related.

a guy climbs up a building and starts shooting everybody....a drug dealer...a raper...killer whatever....its a REMARK to the social....a death sentence which represents the felt death sentence the social has one way or another imposed on the freak...no evil pointy ears required...

rape is basically an invitation to "share" the loss of innosense and control in destiny felt by the rapist...again , no red pointy ears required

the rapist shares and pass's on what is felt in a self victimized ...self understood comprehension....basically a dimented bully. Bullies are created out of experience and go about
sharing the learned experience....theres also a few interesting studies going on with respects to an area in the brain which has been found to be non-active in the conscience free mental case's.
this is not a straight forward ...the devil did it subject...plus I believe consciousness is found in man at varying different levels which has nothing to do with raw intelligence...again awareness and self place or effect on others comes into play...indifference
There is a growing tendency to blame wrong/bad/evil acts on society. But blaming an outside force such as "society" for one's behavior is no different, no less superstitious than labeling an outside source such as a "demon" for one's behavior. In both cases we view our own actions as being somehow out of our own control - a product of some other force, not our fault.

The rapist is not designed to rape any more than Steve Jobs was designed to create the Iphone or Einstein the theory of relativity. Their own individual actions made those things true.

Even though we are very much a product of nature and nurture - we are more in control of our experiences than we think. Through our actions we create our own experiences and we nurture ourselves as well (in good, great, bad, evil, neutral ways).

People like Ted Bundy actually create themselves as much as Steve Jobs defined himself. It is possible to make an evil choice but it is just as possible to make a good choice.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-11-2011 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
If true evil existed, as in the supposed case of Ted Bundy, mind altering drugs/treatments should not prevent them from acting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality