U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM

21,292 posts, read 20,946,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Those nice clean-cut men are not Elders in the LDS Church but are on a multiyear task as Missionaries and at some point when they have done their time they will be voted in as full church members and with the fullness of time with lifes lessons and trials under their belts become Elders.
What on earth are you talking about? And where on earth did you come up with this information?

Every male member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds the priesthood office of "Elder" in the Melchizedek Priesthood. Typically, an LDS man is ordained to be an Elder at the age of nineteen. This is generally the age at which he will leave to serve a mission for the Church. Although a young may wait until about age 26 or 27 before serving a mission, this is not very common (except in cases where a man converts to the Church after the age of 19). Nobody is "voted in a full church member" at any time. Children are typically baptized and confirmed members of the Church at the age of eight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 PM

26,378 posts, read 13,989,692 times
Your recent inquiry concerning the Smithsonian Institution's alleged use of the Book of Mormon as a scientific guide has been received in the Smithsonian's Department of Anthropology. The Book of Mormon is a religious document and not a scientific guide. .
Smithsonian Statement on the Book of Mormon

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-21-2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: a snippet is two sentences and the link OK?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:51 PM

21,292 posts, read 20,946,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Book of Mormon is a religious document and not a scientific guide.
Let me see if I've got this right... Mormons should not be considered Christians because the Smithsonian considers the Book of Mormon to be "a religious document and not a scientific guide"? You're going to have to help me out with that logic you've got going there, Richard, because it's way over my head.

And those guys at the Smithsonian... To have been able to figure out that the Book of Mormon is a religious document and not a scientific guide -- boy, I bet they had a real team of geniuses on that one. Incidentally, I can guarantee you they'd say exactly the same thing about the Bible: It's a religious document and not a scientific guide. Hmmm. If that's the case, why are Christians considered to be Christians? Nice try, Einstein.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-21-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,563,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If that's the case, why are Christians considered to be Christians? Nice try, Einstein.
Katz, while I consider Mormons to be Christian. I do see why some people would not consider you guys to be. I can think of Christians things, you guys have not done that the "Good" Christians have done.

1. You have never sent crusades into the Holy Lands to kill Jews and Muslims.

2. You have not engaged in an Inquisition nor witch Hunts.

3. You are not invading the Islamic Nations en masse to save us.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,896,488 times
Because they believe in Jesus.
Because many of them have "fruits of the Spirit" while many other Christians lack these fruits.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,702,309 times
I think Mormons are Christian as they believe in Christ, they believe he atoned for their sins, they believe he is the head of their religion, they follow his example, they study his life from the Bible. He is the center of their religion.

That sounds pretty Christian to me!

The disconnect comes from definition really. For example...God and Jesus are separate personages in the LDS faith. The LDS faith does not believe in "immaculate conception" They believe that Jesus is the literal son of God the Father and Mary.

The LDS faith believes the church Jesus set up on the earth fell into apostasy. Much of the doctrine concerning the attributes of God (Nicene Creed) was "decided" in a council headed by Constantine (the emperor of Rome.) Mormons believe God the Father "and" Jesus Christ appeared to Jospeh Smith...and the true doctrine was restored...from God.

For those of you who think the LDS faith doesn't follow the Bible you are wrong. Every Sunday the third hour is dedicated to scripture study and this year the New Testament of the King James Bible is being studied.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
For orthodox christians it's the trinity and his death on the cross. For mormons it's the belief that he came to America after his death to preach to the native americans.

Of course, mormons are wonderful people, but their teachings are not accepted by any other christian based group. Protestants and Catholics have much more in common with each other than either group does with Mormons.
No Mormons believe that Christs death is essential to their salvation. His death. He died for all mankind and suffered for their sins. Without his suffering for our sins all man would be lost.

They also believe in something similar to the "Trinity" God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. They call that the Godhead. (Thress separate personages.)

The only major difference is that Mormons believe Jesus is not God incarnate...that Jesus is the literal son of God.

Last edited by lyra33; 10-29-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not sure about the Mormon religion, but I think it might be more uniform.
That is true. You can literally walk into any LDS church anywhere in the world and it will be set up the same way. A Bishop leads the congregation and every worthy male holds the priesthood. It is a volunteer organization and all the members work together to run that individual congregation.

Going up from the Bishop you have leaders who overlook larger and larger areas and they all report to the Prophet and his 12 appostles. The LDS church runs like clockwork and is extremely organized and well run. Bishops are chosen from that congregation and usually only serve 5 years.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
No where in the Holy Bible does it say God had celestial sex to birth Jesus the Christ.

We are told to not add or take away from His written Word. Mormons hold the BoM in higher regard than the Bible.
Also consider much of what the Christian world believes was decided in a council headed by a newly converted emperor of Rome.

So you can argue doctrine until you are blue in the face the fact remains that Mormons believe in Christ, believe he died for their sins and they study his life from a Christian accepted source- The King James Bible.

Every week Mormons take the sacrament and repeat a similar prayer in their heart (I read the prayer that born again Christians commit to, to be saved)...remember the blood and body of Christ- and renew their covenants to take on the name of Christ.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,035,557 times
It has always astonished me that people do not think mormons are christians. They are either very ignorant about the religion or just don't want to let them into the christian club. Mormons believe in Jesus Christ as their savior and redeemer and place this belief as their foundation, everything else builds from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality