U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,725,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Personally I've never heard anyone with any sense say that Mormons were christians(they are not btw)....I've always called them a cult and stand firm in that belief.

CULTWATCH - Mormonism
That is an absolutely absurd website. They believe that everything except their narrow version of Christianity is a cult.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, you're on the right track, but you're not exactly right. We do believe in the apostasy or "falling away" that Paul prophesied of, and we do believe that after the death of the last of Christ's Apostles, the authority they held to preside over the Church Christ created and to receive further revelation from Heaven pertaining to that Church was lost. Clearly, all of the Protestant Churches in the world would agree with us to some extent. Protestantism, after all, was established in "protest" of certain aspects of Catholicism that the early Reformers believe had changed over the years. Consequently, they set about to "reform" the existing Church. Most of them saw the "falling away" from the truth as having taken place much later than the Latter-day Saints do, but they obviously saw things in Roman Catholicism they believed had evolved over the years, making that church significantly different from the one Christ had established. Mormons just believe that "reform" was insufficient to correct the problems existing in Christianity. We believe that Joseph Smith was called by God to "re-establish" or "restore" the ancient church from the ground up. I'm not proselytizing here; I'm simply stating what the basis behind our Church is.

Thank you. I want you to know, though, that we would never say that any professing Christian, someone who worships Jesus Christ and looks to Him for salvation is not a "true Christian." We do believe that our Church contains all of the re-established doctrines of the 1st century Church and that it is therefore the only Christian Church that contains the "fulness of the gospel." In that regard, we would say that it is the only (100%) "true" church. We would say that other Christian churches teach a great deal of truth, along with some error, but a person does not need to belong to the "true Church" to be a "true Christian." Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks for the clarifications, too. I grew up in the Reformed Church and so we celebrated the reformation, but now I am Episcopalian. We do not believe that there is one "true" version of a church that is superior over all others, but that being human, none of us have it exactly right.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM

32,624 posts, read 17,699,140 times
Default Why are mormons considered to be Christians?"

Hint:

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Of course, Jesus wasn't a Christian.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,915,745 times
A person is a Christian if he believes that Jesus lived and died on the cross for mankinds sins.

That's all. Everything else that anyone wants to believe was added later. They are also Christians, because they call themselves Christian. It's no one else's concern. Each person will be judged as to what is written on their hearts, not by what someone else thinks of them.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 PM

51,371 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
A person is a Christian if he believes that Jesus lived and died on the cross for mankinds sins.

That's all. Everything else that anyone wants to believe was added later. They are also Christians, because they call themselves Christian. It's no one else's concern. Each person will be judged as to what is written on their hearts, not by what someone else thinks of them.
Stop making it so simple, dammit. If it's not complicated with offshoots and interpretations and opinions, why, we wouldn't have any reasons to argue at all!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,211,334 times
I always thought most Christians didn't consider Mormons to be Christians.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,991,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Stop making it so simple, dammit. If it's not complicated with offshoots and interpretations and opinions, why, we wouldn't have any reasons to argue at all!
Or beat or kill because someone is the wrong kind or Christian.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,991,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always thought most Christians didn't consider Mormons to be Christians.
Catholics are taught anyone that isn't Catholic isn't a real Christian either.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
They believe in Christ, and anyone who believes in Christ is a Christian in my book, hence the word Christian.
I agree, Christian simply applies to anyone who worships Jesus as the son of God. That's it. Doesn't take much else. If you have an issue with the Mormons then I would hate to see what you think of Jehovah's Witnesses or New Aggers.
Now if you are Jewish, you're excused from the Christian blanket.
Christians are believers in Christ. That's it. Catholics look the same as Mormons to me.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha ha ha, I know right!! Funny how when one looks into the religious mirror they get startled. lol
All Christians look pretty much the same to me. Silly with a touch of scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality