U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM

24,757 posts, read 26,832,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yes, I'm 100% positive about that, I used to be a Mormon. They consider the Book of Mormon to be a 3rd Testament in essence in addition to the Old and New Testaments. Mormons generally don't make such a big deal about separating the "Bible" with the BoM, it's usually non-Mormon's who do that. I don't care if people consider Mormons to be Christians or not, I left the whole insanity of organized religion, but it's false to say Mormons don't follow the Bible.
I am an ex Mormon as well who also left the insanity of organized religion...but everything you say here is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:36 PM

37,546 posts, read 25,261,889 times
Default Why are mormons considered to be Christians?"

::Sigh:: Because they believe on and follow Christ. How many more threads like this are the anti-Mormons going to post? If we follow Christ and His commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . we are Christians, period. ALL else is human vanity and hubris.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,550,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Catholics are taught anyone that isn't Catholic isn't a real Christian either.
Not true. Maybe when I had idiotic nuns and depressing spinsters teaching me in grammar school, this feeling was conveyed but never actually disseminated. By the time I got to HS, this was definitely not the case, since we had Greek Orthodox/Eastern Orthodox/Episcopalian students who gladly came to our school.

My belief is that any religion composed ONLY of an Old Testament and a New Testament, with Jesus's death and resurrection occurring in the Holy Land, and with no other "cast of characters" is a Christian religion. That includes MANY denominations, some of which I do not care for. The reason there is so much bickering is that, in these 2 holy books alone, there is no much disparity in their interpretation among the sects. One case in point is Westboro Baptist Church. Sure, they're Christians in a legalistic sense, but their doctrinal interpretation spews more hatred than a zoo full of fire-breathing dragons. I would venture to say that more enlightened Christians prefer to ignore them. However, Christians with only an Old Testament and a New Testament range from those who worship in elaborate cathedrals to those who worship in rented community rooms. I am fully willing to accept the Catholic-hating fundamentalist as a Christian brother or sister, though I certainly don't like their style and experience has taught me that I have little in common with them with which to glue rapport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality