U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,917,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
But it's only "mainline" because they took over an entire US state and are strongly influential in several others.
Uh... they didn't actually "take over an entire state." In spite of the fact that they were law-abiding American citizens, they were driven from their homes in mid-winter and forced to flee what was then the United States for their lives. (Yes, you can take that last statement literally. The Governor of Missouri issued an "Extermination Order" that made it legal to kill any Mormon in Missouri. That law was on the books until 1976. Not 1876.) They hauled their meager possessions across the Great Plains of America, losing hundreds to starvation, illness and the elements, and finally settled in a desolate wilderness nobody else wanted. That desolate wilderness eventually became the "state" you believe they "took over."

Today, there are 14.1 million Mormons in 132 countries. Only 14% of them live in Utah, and fewer than half even live in the United States. 800 individuals convert to the Church every single day worldwide and over two-thirds of the Church's membership today is comprised of first-generation converts. A new chapel is completed (and paid for in full by the time it is dedicated for use) somewhere in the world every 16 hours. I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but we're definitely here to stay and have an influence in many places throughout the world.

Quote:
Their incredible monetary wealth has also bought them legitimacy in this country. If not for all of those things, I believe that they would still be considered a kooky cult.
And yet you probably haven't got the foggiest idea just how rich the Church is, since you obviously don't get any of your information from reliable sources.

Quote:
Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

Quote:
...and does unspeakable sexual acts in the secrecy of their temples?
Good grief. I'm just going to assume you're kidding about this. Honestly, though, the more you run off at the mouth concerning things you know absolutely nothing about, the stupider you look. Absolutely nothing of a sexual nature goes on in the temples.

Quote:
Living the afterlife as a "sex machine" is an aspect that is often found in muslimism, as is believed in mormonism. I would never connect muslimism with christianity.
A sex machine, huh? You know, I've got to give you an A+ for creativity. When it comes to accuracy, however, you fail miserably.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Personally I've never heard anyone with any sense say that Mormons were christians(they are not btw)....I've always called them a cult and stand firm in that belief.

CULTWATCH
Moderator cut: edit I don't know what makes you think your particular brand of it is any better than anybody else's.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2011 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,028,920 times
Quote:
But it's only "mainline" because they took over an entire US state and are strongly influential in several others. Their incredible monetary wealth has also bought them legitimacy in this country. If not for all of those things, I believe that they would still be considered a kooky cult. Which other religion wears magic underwear and does unspeakable sexual acts in the secrecy of their temples? Living the afterlife as a "sex machine" is an aspect that is often found in muslimism, as is believed in mormonism. I would never connect muslimism with christianity.
Magic underwear? Temple conspiracy? Trust me there's no sex going on in temples and I never owned any magical underwear.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've known a few Mormons over the years. I prefer them to the Southern Baptists I have known. I don't consider them Christains though. Or, they are more like Christains with an asterix. There are enough things that are different about them from other Christain sects for them to be their own category.
Since you seem like a rational sort of person, WestCobb, what would you personally say a person must believe in order to be a Christian? If I told you Mormons believe every single solitary word the Bible says about Jesus Christ, would you be surprised? In formulating your answer, make sure your criteria would not eliminate any of Jesus Christ's Apostles or His earliest disciples.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,643,694 times
Quote:
I agree that it is being politically correct to call Mormons Christains and pretend they are like any other denomination. When a denomination has its own testament that is not recognized by any other sect it has morphed into something else. That said, I don't think it's fair to call Mormons cultists. The Church started out as a cult, but what it is today is no more kooky or ominous than any other mainline church.

The Catholic church has several more chapters to their Bible than other Protestant religions also called the second canon. That is not unique to the Mormons.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't consider them to be part of the historic, orthodox Christian faith.
That's fine with me. We don't consider ourselves to be part of "the historic, orthodox Christian faith" either. We would describe ourselves as "restorationist Christianity." Our Church was founded on the following premise: We believe that as part of His ministry, Jesus Christ established His Church. We believe that following His death and the deaths of His Apostles, men changed that Church (both the doctrines and the organizational structure). We believe that it -- the ancient Church -- has been re-established today by revelation to a latter-day prophet appointed by God, and is known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The bottom line, though, is that we worship Jesus Christ every bit as much as any other Christians do, and look to Him as the source of our redemption and salvation. Muslims don't. Jews don't. Baha'is don't.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,619,204 times
Do Mormons believe that based on how good they are on Earth, they will perhaps ascend to a higher level on Heaven or something along those lines?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,643,694 times
Quote:
Every religion has kooky beliefs. As a Catholic, I'm not going to start pointing fingers when it comes to strange ideas. What dictates whether or not a group is a cult is the behavior of its members. On the "cult scale", Mormons score no higher than Southern Baptists. Here is a checklist of what constitutes a cult.

Cults 101: Checklist of Cult Characteristics

lol...Southern Baptists do not operate as a cult. It is a very autonomous religion actually. Some of the members might give the religion itself a bad name (like Dallas's Pastor Jeffress) but it is not cult like. Of course I also don't consider Mormonism a cult.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,872,417 times
Quote:
Rick Perry's pastor friend Robert Jeffress recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
I don't claim to be a religious person, but how do mormons claim to be Christians when they don't follow the Holy Bible like the Christian religions do? Instead, they follow the Book of mormon and have completely different saints and historical figures than the Christian religions. I'm not even beginning to talk about the strange customs that they follow among each other. Isn't it being a tad "politically correct" to refer to them as christian?

The problem is that your premise that the LDS does not follow the Bible is false. They do and accept Christ as their Savior just like all Christians do. The only difference is they add the book of Mormon as an additional chapter and verse to their Bible. Mormons sincerely believe that God and Christ didn't only appear to a select chosen people in the Near East but simultaneously appeared to their children in the New World and lands far beyond the confinds of the Western Judeo-Christian-Muslim world. Godly men recieved these messages in their own way and one such man was a Mr Smith who found golden tablets buried in Upstate New York which became the basis of the Book of Mormon named after the Angel who gave them to Mr Smith. The idea that God had a loving embrace for all his children was contriversial in the early 19th century where some Christians believed that colored races bore the Mark of Cain and didn't have souls that could be saved.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,028,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
lol...Southern Baptists do not operate as a cult. It is a very autonomous religion actually. Some of the members might give the religion itself a bad name (like Dallas's Pastor Jeffress) but it is not cult like. Of course I also don't consider Mormonism a cult.
This is true. Moving to the south I found out very quickly that that Southern Baptists are fiercely independent and just because two churches share the title "Southern Baptist" doesn't mean they are all that similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality