U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,654,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And all Jesus based faiths would say that you not only have to "believe in Christ," (which is actually a very vague thing) but you have to believe in certain teachings about Christ to be considered one of the group. For orthodox christians it's the trinity and his death on the cross. For mormons it's the belief that he came to America after his death to preach to the native americans.

Of course, mormons are wonderful people, but their teachings are not accepted by any other christian based group. Protestants and Catholics have much more in common with each other than either group does with Mormons.

Protestants and Catholics have some really big differences also. There are protestants that think Catholicism is also cult like...probably the same that think Mormons are a cult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,274,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Protestants and Catholics have some really big differences also. There are protestants that think Catholicism is also cult like...probably the same that think Mormons are a cult.
And you're absolutely right. I have a lot of protestant friends that consider catholicism a cult. I too see a lot of differences, but in my view, the differences between catholics and protestants aren't nearly as wide as those with mormons. Catholics don't believe in eternal progression, that god lived on his own planet before becoming God, extra scripture (except the apocrypha, which protestants still esteem) and both groups hold to the trinity and Jesus' substitution for our sins. As far as I know, Mormons don't believe in the trinity.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM

21,300 posts, read 20,988,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Why are mormons considered to be Christians?

For the same reason that the Adventists, Catholics, and Southern Baptists are ...

They are all condescending, holier-than-thou, and watch football on Sunday afternoons ..

They don't really have much to do with Christ at all .. they just like to be called Christians
How many Mormons have you known personally, bigskydude?

I'm sorry you think Mormonism has little to do with Christ. Maybe this article in the Washington Post will cause you to reconsider. From that article...

•The World Health Organization estimates that 884 million people worldwide don’t have access to clean water. This is a huge problem in Africa, not only because of water-borne diseases but because kids who spend hours each day walking to and from the nearest well to fill old gasoline cans with water cannot attend school. According to church records, in the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through Mormon humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes.

•More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Mormon-sponsored humanitarian program. To see a legless child whose knuckles have become calloused through walking on his hands lifted into a wheelchair may be the best way to fully understand the liberation this brings.

•Millions of children, meanwhile, have now been vaccinated against killer diseases like measles as the church has sponsored or assisted with projects in 22 African countries.

•More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through Mormon partnership with African eye care professionals in providing training, equipment and supplies.

•Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for Mormons in Africa.

All of these humanitarian efforts were done with no strings attached. None of the recipients were required to convert to Mormonism or even listen to the Mormon missionaries share their message. Mormonism strikes me as having quite a bit in common with what Jesus Christ taught about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick, etc.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And all Jesus based faiths would say that you not only have to "believe in Christ," (which is actually a very vague thing) but you have to believe in certain teachings about Christ to be considered one of the group. For orthodox christians it's the trinity and his death on the cross. For mormons it's the belief that he came to America after his death to preach to the native americans.
Well, Mormons believe every single solitary thing the Bible has to say about Jesus Christ, so I'd say we're on pretty solid ground there. Mormons don't accept the doctrine of the Trinity, but then neither did anyone else prior to 325 A.D. We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe they may all be legitimately addressed and referred to as "God," and that they are "one in will and purpose" as opposed to "one in substance." We do believe that Jesus Christ suffered for our sins and died to make eternal life in the presence of God a possibility for all of us. We believe that every bit as much as any other Christians. The Bible is silent about what Jesus may or may not have done after His ascension. If we believe He eventually taught people outside of the Holy Land His gospel, I fail to see how that cancels out everything else we believe in common with other Christians.

Quote:
Of course, mormons are wonderful people, but their teachings are not accepted by any other christian based group. Protestants and Catholics have much more in common with each other than either group does with Mormons.
Actually, Catholic teachings aren't accepted by Baptists. Lutheran teachings aren't accepted by Pentacostals. So what? And you may be surprised at how many things Mormons do have in common with members of other Christian denominations. I could name quite a few beliefs we have in common with Catholicism, including the rejection of the doctrines of sola fide and sola scriptura. Those are not inconsequential beliefs either.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
More like the book of mormon
Did you completely ignore my Post #22 on this thread? It's okay to be uninformed about something, but posting inaccurate information just calls attention to your ignorance. Trust me. As a lifelong Mormon, I am infinitely more qualified than you to speak on what Mormons do and do not believe.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
I think Mormons only say they're Christians because it makes them sound les weird to the public.
I'll tell you the real reason why Mormons say they're Christians. It's because they believe Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God and the only means by which we can be forgiven of our sins and reconciled to God. Sounds kind of "Christian," wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-10-2011 at 12:02 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I am not sure about the Mormon religion, but I think it might be more uniform.
Considerably so. You could attend an LDS worship service in Salt Lake City, Moscow, Mexico City, Tokyo, or Jerusalem, and aside from the language you heard the service conducted in, you wouldn't be able to distinguish one from another.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Which according to everything I have ever been taught make Mormon's Christians.
Thank you, dixiegirl. (Tried to rep you, but couldn't.)

Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
More importantly (to me at least) is whether or not the Mormon Church is a cult from a sociological perspective. Cults are harmful to their members and their communities. I think that Mormonism is definitely not a cult. Mormons behave like other mainline religious people. I don't think they brainwash their members, surpress any important truths, engage in any scary conspiratorial practices, etc.
To me, the word "cult" has some very intentionally negative connotations, among them mind control, fear, and isolationism. Mormonism does not qualify under any of those things. Basically, a cult is "the religion down the street from yours that you don't like." The word has little legitimate use outside of religious mud-slinging. I'm not saying there are no groups to which the label can be legitimately applied, but I am saying that the word is thrown around far too cavalierly, and generally says more about the person who is using it than it does about the group he is attempting to demean.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 AM

With respect to a definition of a Christian, an Episcopal poster on another forum I participate on posted the following:

A Christian is someone who believes that the clearest understanding we have of God was found in the person of Jesus Christ.

I told her I couldn't recall having ever seen a definition I liked better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality