U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:47 PM

18,574 posts, read 13,699,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly . . . neither did God. Inspiration is not dictation and men did the interpreting of the inspirations in ignorance and superstition.
Right on brother Mystic. These books were all written and re-written by man. When I actually see the hand of God physically write I will believe otherwise.

Back to the OP. The Mormons believe in Christ as the cornerstone of their Church so they are Christians. I grew up in a competing religion that looked at Mormons as just being confused Christians, but probably closer to the Way Sunni Muslims look at Shia Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM

8,250 posts, read 10,013,904 times
Default God inspired the Bible and keeps it inspired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly . . . neither did God. Inspiration is not dictation and men did the interpreting of the inspirations in ignorance and superstition.
Mystic, You are generally a pretty bright guy/gal, as evidenced by many of your posts, but, you keep spouting the above nonsensical mantre as if you had some evidence to support it ... which you do not.

Different translations are totally different than different interpretations. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that all 'inspirations' are inspired by God. What/where is your proof that "men have changed the Word of God based on ignorance and superstition."

One thing the Bible does say (Rom 1:18-20) is that "Those who suppress the truth of God ...... are without excuse"

Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM

21,282 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints "do not believe in the traditional Christ. No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He, together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages."

LDS Church News - `Crown of gospel is upon our heads'
In fairness to President Hinckley, I think some clarification is in order. The fact that he said we don't believe in the "traditional" Christ does not mean that we do not believe in the "Biblical" Christ. We don't accept the 4th and 5th century creeds which attempted to define God and explain the relationship between the Father and the Son, because we don't believe them to be inspired of God, but the work of men. We do, however, believe every word the Bible has to say about Jesus Christ. Every last word. What President Hinckley was saying was that we don't believe that Jesus Christ was part of the same indivisible substance as His Father. We don't believe in a three-in-one God who is manifest as three divine Beings. We don't insist that the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Ghost is God and then turn around and say that there aren't three of them. We believe in a divine Father and a divine Son who are physically distinct from one another but who absolutely united as "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart. So traditional Christ? No. Biblical Christ? Yes.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-10-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,617,524 times
No one answered my question. I will ask it again.

Do Mormons believe that based on how good they are on Earth, they will perhaps ascend to a higher level on Heaven or something along those lines?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
No one answered my question. I will ask it again.
Sorry. I must have missed it.

Quote:
Do Mormons believe that based on how good they are on Earth, they will perhaps ascend to a higher level on Heaven or something along those lines?
Mormons believe in a Heaven comprised of varying "degrees of glory." (I can provide scriptural support for this doctrine if you'd like.) We believe that when each of us (not just Mormons but everyone) stands before God to be judged, we will be given a heavenly reward commensurate with our faithfulness and obedience to God's commandments here on earth. We really don't believe in the traditional Christian concept of an eternal Hell, where unbelievers are tormented forever. Instead, we believe that virtually everyone will ultimately end up in Heaven, but that it's not a "one size fits all" kind of place. Being a Mormon does not assure a person of a higher status in Heaven than that of a non-Mormon.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,617,524 times
What verse in the Bible supports this please?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
What verse in the Bible supports this please?
The entire 15th chapter of 1 Corinthians is a discussion of the ultimate resurrection of mankind. We believe that verses 40-42 shed some light on the subject of the life after this one. They read:

There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead...

In understanding our doctrine, however, you need to realize that Joseph Smith didn't just sit down with his Bible and try to interpret what he read so that he could formulate LDS doctrine. We believe the verses above describe a heaven divided into three degrees of glory, one like that of the sun, another like that of the moon, and another like that of the stars, but it is not just these verses we base our belief on. We believe that God revealed the truth about the afterlife to Joseph Smith and subsequent latter-day prophets. It is this revelation that we base our doctrine on.

We further believe that this was what the earliest Christians believed. Origen, for example, said: "Our understanding of the passage indeed is, that the Apostle, wishing to describe the great difference among those who rise again in glory, i.e., of the saints, borrowed a comparison from the heavenly bodies, saying, "One is the glory of the sun, antoher the slory of the moon, another the glory of the stars." Clement of Alexandra made a similar statement. This is not, in other words, a doctrine the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints invented.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-10-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,554,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
...we are talking about a group that follows a FALSE prophet.

When the LEADER of a religious movement says he or she was imparted with special knowledge,gifts,powers etc that nobody else has upon earth and only HIS teaching to a select group is the right way...that ol' buddy IS a cult.

Well some would argue,and have argued on this forum that the apostle Paul meets your description of a 'cult leader'.I don't personally agree with that perspective but some people do....

To a non-christian, Jesus,could be seen as a 'cult leader' and false prophet using your definition..

Depending on how broadly you choose to apply the 'cult leader definition' catholics could be a cult because they follow their pope,congregations of 'mega-churches' follow their 'cultleader' er I mean pastor,I suppose an argument could be made that all christians follow a 'gospel other than what had been given them' since the entire contents of what became the 'new testament' was non-existent in the time of Jesus and was mostly written decades after he died.....

'Who' is a 'false prophet' is a matter individuals must decide for themselves,and all such matters in the end come down to 'religious belief' rather than provable,verifiable 'religious truth'.......at least in this life

Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,807,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well some would argue,and have argued on this forum that the apostle Paul meets your description of a 'cult leader'.I don't personally agree with that perspective but some people do....

To a non-christian, Jesus,could be seen as a 'cult leader' and false prophet using your definition..

Depending on how broadly you choose to apply the 'cult leader definition' catholics could be a cult because they follow their pope,congregations of 'mega-churches' follow their 'cultleader' er I mean pastor,I suppose an argument could be made that all christians follow a 'gospel other than what had been given them' since the entire contents of what became the 'new testament' was non-existent in the time of Jesus and was mostly written decades after he died.....

'Who' is a 'false prophet' is a matter individuals must decide for themselves,and all such matters in the end come down to 'religious belief' rather than provable,verifiable 'religious truth'.......at least in this life
I agree with you....that's why I said the other poster hopes/believes he is right and I hope/believe that I am right.

Much more intelligent people than anyone who has ever graced THIS site have struggled throughout the ages trying to answer these same questions only arrive at the same answers that we have in this thread...it comes down to faith in what YOU believe.

Each of us has faith in something that is not tangible (hence the FAITH part).

As for the mega Churches,the pope etc...I agree also...they very well can be and in some instances ARE a cult...if you follow a man(according to my Bible) then you are wrong.

We can debate this till the end of time,but the answers will never change...you have to have faith in something...even atheists have faith in the fact that no God or Gods exist and all is just randomness.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM

The thing we all need to remember is that God loves us all and wants all of us to return to His presence someday. I have no doubt but that muleskinner and I both are sincere in what we believe and would not intentionally choose the wrong path. While he may believe that if I am on the wrong path, God will subject me to an eternity of torment, I believe that if he is on the wrong path, God will be far less inclined to torture him forever. Both of us will just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality