Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
1) Its Islam not Muslimism, Muhamoodism, or anything else

2) that is pretty much how every religion becomes mainstream. A small jewish sect that believes that a zombie is a god and came back from the dead and every week they get to drink his blood and eat his flesh seems very kooky and crazy, but now we call them Christians.
Because he was the CHRIST,Einstein....hence the name CHRISTIANS

Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
a southern baptist calling mormonism a cult is not only the height of irony but likely the only theologically consistent thing an evangelical christian has ever said

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
North, do you consider Mormons to be Christains?
Well like I said I'm an atheist now so I'm not sure my opinion really matters, but yeah I do. When I became a Mormon I never felt like I was leaving Christianity, I mean they believe Jesus is their "savior" just as much as any other denomination I've encountered. I left the LDS Church on pretty good terms, most of the stereotypes you hear about them are true. They are really family oriented and they really are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They also walk the walk and live out their beliefs and put their words into action. That said I don't believe in a god and I can't reconcile the many absurd claims put forth not just by the LDS, but every other religious group with rational living.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well like I said I'm an atheist now so I'm not sure my opinion really matters, but yeah I do. When I became a Mormon I never felt like I was leaving Christianity, I mean they believe Jesus is their "savior" just as much as any other denomination I've encountered. I left the LDS Church on pretty good terms, most of the stereotypes you hear about them are true. They are really family oriented and they really are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They also walk the walk and live out their beliefs and put their words into action. That said I don't believe in a god and I can't reconcile the many absurd claims put forth not just by the LDS, but every other religious group with rational living.
I've known a few Mormons over the years. I prefer them to the Southern Baptists I have known. I don't consider them Christains though. Or, they are more like Christains with an asterix. There are enough things that are different about them from other Christain sects for them to be their own category.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Rick Perry's pator friend recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
I don't claim to be a religious person, but how do mormons claim to be Christians when they don't follow the Holy Bible like the Christian religions do? Instead, they follow the Book of mormon and have completely different saints and historical figures than the Christian religions. I'm not even beginning to talk about the strange customs that they follow among each other. Isn't it being a tad "politically correct" to refer to them as christian?
Moderator cut: Orphaned

In spite of the fact that I think you're just trying to stir things up, I'm going to take the opportunity to comment on your misconceptions of my faith. For starters, we definitely follow the Holy Bible. If you're sincere in wanting to see the high regard in which we hold it, read this article. It should leave no doubt in your mind about how important the Bible is to us.

With respect to our having "completely different historical saints" than other Christian denominations, we don't have "saints" at all -- at least not in the Catholic context. We don't hold certain human being to be holier than others and to be in a position to intercede with God on our behalf. We are much like the many Protestant denominations in that regard. We call ourselves "Latter-day Saints" because in the Bible (at least in the KJV), Christ's followers were referred to as "saints." We see ourselves as His followers, too, but living in the "latter days" as opposed to anciently.

With respect to our having "different historical figures," I'm not even sure exactly what you mean by that. We believe in all of the figures whose lives are described in the scriptures. We don't accept the Catholic popes, but neither do the Protestants (and I'm presuming you believe them to be Christians). We see Martin Luther and the other Reformers as having been at least to some degree inspired to make the reforms in the Church they did.

Since you're not going to "even begin to talk about our strange customs," I won't bother addressing them. I don't know that they're any stranger than the customs of most other religions, though. Unlike you, I am a religious person and know quite a bit about most Christian denominations.

I'm sorry you think it's just being "politically correct" to apply the word "Christian," to a group of 14 million people who believe in Jesus Christ, worship Him as their Savior and try to live by the example He set. I can't think of a much better word to describe them.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Rick Perry's pator friend recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
I don't claim to be a religious person, but how do mormons claim to be Christians when they don't follow the Holy Bible like the Christian religions do? Instead, they follow the Book of mormon and have completely different saints and historical figures than the Christian religions. I'm not even beginning to talk about the strange customs that they follow among each other. Isn't it being a tad "politically correct" to refer to them as christian?
Mormon doctrine differs greatly from the historic teachings of the Catholic and Protestant churches, including their use of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine of Covenants and the Book of Abraham. Don't get me wrong. They're fantastic people, but I don't consider them to be part of the historic, orthodox Christian faith.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I agree that it is being politically correct to call Mormons Christains and pretend they are like any other denomination.
I don't know of any Mormons who are trying to pretend that they are "like any other denomination." We're unique and we have no problem with that. But if you think that we have any less in common with other Christian denominations than say, Catholics have with Pentacostals or Presbyterians do with Southern Baptists, you've got another think coming.

We believe in Jesus Christ. The name of our Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Why would we even want His name as part of the name of our Church if we did not worship Him? We believe that He is the Only Begotten Son of God, that He was the Creator (under His Father's direction) of our universe, that He was born to a virgin, lived a perfect life, had a three-year ministry in which He taught a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness, took upon Himself our sins, that we might be forgiven of them and reconciled to God, died for us, rose again on the third day and ultimately ascended into Heaven where He sits on the right hand of His Father. How on earth can people say we're anything other than Christians?

Quote:
When a denomination has its own testament that is not recognized by any other sect it has morphed into something else.
Actually, I believe Christianity "morphed into something else" long before we came along. Paul prophesied of an apostasy that would take place after his death in the Church Christ had established. He continually warned that this "falling away" was already starting to take place in his lifetime. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is another witness to His divinity and His power to save humanity. It testifies of Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Savior of mankind even more extensively than the Bible does. How can this be a bad thing?

Quote:
That said, I don't think it's fair to call Mormons cultists. The Church started out as a cult, but what it is today is no more kooky or ominous than any other mainline church.
Well, thanks for that, at least.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
I've known a few Mormons over the years. I prefer them to the Southern Baptists I have known. I don't consider them Christains though. Or, they are more like Christains with an asterix. There are enough things that are different about them from other Christain sects for them to be their own category.
Well like I said it makes no difference to me anyway. I can see how some would consider them to be some sort of "other" because they have beliefs that are very different from "mainstream" Christianity. But hell, Catholics and Orthodox Christians have vastly different beliefs than many protestants so whose to say who is actually a "Christian" and who is not? For what it's worth if a law was passed that you had to attend church I would pick an Orthodox Divine Liturgy, simply beautiful.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Are you sure about that? then what is the "book of mormon"? It is a religion unlike any other xian religion that I've ever heard of. The founder Jos Smith was a grifter who created these golden book fables that he was given by the angel moroni.
We definitely do accept the Holy Bible as the word of God. It ranks as foremost among our Church’s “Standard Works”, or four books which comprise the LDS canon. On the other hand, we do not believe that the Bible is the sole word of God. We believe that God has said much more than has been assembled in that single volume and that He is still not through speaking to us. The Bible, of course, contains both the Old Testament and the New Testament, the New Testament being a witness to the divine mission of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is yet another testament of Jesus Christ. It is the history, both religious and secular of several groups of people whom we believe we led by God to the American continent in ancient times. By far the largest portion of the book describes two civilizations, the Nephites and the Lamanites, who were both descendents of the House of Israel, and who lived on this continent between about 600 B.C. and 400 A.D.

When Jesus Christ spoke to his followers in the Holy Land, He is recorded in the Gospel of John as having said, “Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.” He also said that His own personal mission was only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. So who were the “other sheep” of whom He spoke, people who were evidently not living in the Holy Land but who were, at the same time, of the house of Israel? We believe they were the people whose story is told in the Book of Mormon. After Christ’s resurrection, he stayed among his Apostles and others for a time. But, according to the Book of Mormon, before He returned to heaven where He now awaits the time of His Second Coming, He visited the people of ancient America. He established His Church here, teaching exactly the same gospel He had taught in the Holy Land.

The Book of Mormon is an account of a 1000-year history of some of the people of ancient America, and includes a number of chapters which describe in some detail Jesus Christ’s ministry among those people. It does not contradict or supplant anything in the Bible. Rather it complements and clarifies many of the doctrines to which the Bible alludes but is not entirely clear. Its purpose is literally to prove the Bible to be true, and, as stated on the title page of the book is “to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ.”

Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Q: Why are mormons considered to be Christians?
A: Because they don't lop off the heads of infidels, don't kill dogs because they don't believe they're unclean, they don't do "honor killings" of their womenfolk, they don't encourage sex with boys, they don't butcher their animals in a cruel fashion, and can make graven images of their founder and other religious figures without being executed for heresy.

They're the "other infidel" non-Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality