U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times

Advertisements

Rick Perry's pastor friend Robert Jeffress recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
I don't claim to be a religious person, but how do mormons claim to be Christians when they don't follow the Holy Bible like the Christian religions do? Instead, they follow the Book of mormon and have completely different saints and historical figures than the Christian religions. I'm not even beginning to talk about the strange customs that they follow among each other. Isn't it being a tad "politically correct" to refer to them as christian?

Last edited by wehotex; 10-09-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,022,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Rick Perry's pator friend recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
I don't claim to be a religious person, but how do mormons claim to be Christians when they don't follow the Holy Bible like the Christian religions do? Instead, they follow the Book of mormon and have completely different saints and historical figures than the Christian religions. I'm not even beginning to talk about the strange customs that they follow among each other. Isn't it being a tad "politically correct" to refer to them as christian?
They also follow the Bible.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,680,497 times
I agree that it is being politically correct to call Mormons Christains and pretend they are like any other denomination. When a denomination has its own testament that is not recognized by any other sect it has morphed into something else. That said, I don't think it's fair to call Mormons cultists. The Church started out as a cult, but what it is today is no more kooky or ominous than any other mainline church.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,943,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
They also follow the Bible.
Are you sure about that? then what is the "book of mormon"? It is a religion unlike any other Moderator cut: Christian religion that I've ever heard of. The founder Jos Smith was a grifter who created these golden book fables that he was given by the angel moroni.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 06:43 PM

498 posts, read 1,195,896 times
They're considered Christians because they consider Christ to be their savior and redeemer. You've been misinformed.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:47 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,799,363 times
Quote:
Rick Perry's pator friend recently referred to mormonism as a "cult" and that they are not true christians.
Personally I've never heard anyone with any sense say that Mormons were christians(they are not btw)....I've always called them a cult and stand firm in that belief.

http://www.cultwatch.com/mormon.html

Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
Many christian sects (and there are plenty of them) view members of other sects with suspicion if not hostility. When a child at catholic school, my wife was told by a nun that her father would go to hell because he was a protestant.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
But it's only "mainline" because they took over an entire US state and are strongly influential in several others. Their incredible monetary wealth has also bought them legitimacy in this country. If not for all of those things, I believe that they would still be considered a kooky cult. Which other religion wears magic underwear and does unspeakable sexual acts in the secrecy of their temples? Living the afterlife as a "sex machine" is an aspect that is often found in muslimism, as is believed in mormonism. I would never connect muslimism with christianity.
Every religion has kooky beliefs. As a Catholic, I'm not going to start pointing fingers when it comes to strange ideas. What dictates whether or not a group is a cult is the behavior of its members. On the "cult scale", Mormons score no higher than Southern Baptists. Here is a checklist of what constitutes a cult.

Cults 101: Checklist of Cult Characteristics

Old 10-09-2011, 06:54 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,022,754 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? then what is the "book of mormon"? It is a religion unlike any other xian religion that I've ever heard of. The founder Jos Smith was a grifter who created these golden book fables that he was given by the angel moroni.
Yes, I'm 100% positive about that, I used to be a Mormon. They consider the Book of Mormon to be a 3rd Testament in essence in addition to the Old and New Testaments. Mormons generally don't make such a big deal about separating the "Bible" with the BoM, it's usually non-Mormon's who do that. I don't care if people consider Mormons to be Christians or not, I left the whole insanity of organized religion, but it's false to say Mormons don't follwo the Bible.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yes, I'm 100% positive about that, I used to be a Mormon. They consider the Book of Mormon to be a 3rd Testament in essence in addition to the Old and New Testaments. Mormons generally don't make such a big deal about separating the "Bible" with the BoM, it's usually non-Mormon's who do that. I don't care if people consider Mormons to be Christians or not, I left the whole insanity of organized religion, but it's false to say Mormons don't follwo the Bible.
North, do you consider Mormons to be Christains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality