U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,224,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...cemeteries?

^^^^^^^ that is the first post in this thread, perhaps you should read what a thread is about before firmly inserting your foot in your mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Who cares about graveyards? please do make a new thread, we here are talking about a pagan descended need to broadcast religion with symbols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 4,294,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
^^^^^^^ that is the first post in this thread, perhaps you should read what a thread is about before firmly inserting your foot in your mouth.
I did read the O.P.

I had completely forgotten he said that because I couldn't care less about his rhetorical question. I thought we were talking about the story he linked to, not about how and why people go to cemeteries...

Seems to me that even if your focus was the rhetorical question posted by the O.P. there was no need to go into the tangent of the reasons people shouldn't go to cemeteries... and family... and community and whatever else. I thought the topic was propaganda in public and private publicly visible places, not graveyard sociology.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:28 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
My take on this is that engraving a cross or a Star of David or another religious symbol on a veteran is simply a respect for what he believed. It is not imposing religion and to me does not violate the Constitution. It is not imposing religion on anyone. It simply reflects the wishes of that individual that considered religion dear to his heart. I have "no religious preference" in my dog tags because I believe in God but have not religious afiliation. In my case I suppose no religous symbols will be there and that is just fine with me. Take care.
I think that is correct. The veteran had to have his preference on record first. It is an expression of the preference of the veteran, not an attempt to convince the living. If I choose to have the Square and Compasses placed on my headstone, that is in no way at attempt to convince any living person to become a Freemason.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

971 posts, read 1,502,105 times
Seems to me that advertising for a loving god on a grave is rather counter-productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers
Don't worry, Mr. 150 - if there was any legal ground for them to ban the crosses - you would already be hearing about it. Give it time- they'll figure out a loophole to complain about them. I can see it now: "The thought of burying my wife next to some christian's cross just offends me! Harumphhh!"

I mentioned this in the other thread as a definate future agenda. Mark my words....
I have no interest in debating the legality of crosses in graveyards because I don't mind their presence there, and neither does any atheist organisation I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality