U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,946,392 times
Reputation: 441

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
... somebody explain to me why there are 10 bazillion different gods/religions all with competing dogmas that almost always tend to mirror the cultures which spawn them...
Think of this... Did all humans just spawn up to where the are now? No! Science suggests that we migrated from a central point. There is even some evidence to prove this. I don't know many who would argue with this. Has anyone ever thought that when our ancestors all lived in that central point, that they all shared a religion? Then as they grew, as any group that gets too big, they started to have quarrels with each other. Finally they began to migrate away from this point. Each group altered their beliefs and traditions little by little.

This division took place several times, and still does happen. All evidence points out that over time and several divisions we would alter our lifestyle. However, we would keep some similarities in our cultures. We see this today in religion and throughout several other areas.

I bet if you took the religion of the very beginning, it would have several similarities to the religions we have today. I bet it would ring true in other areas of society as well.

Stories travel from group to group changing over time. Two cultures could be describing the same event, but with different details. Just look at how fast stories of today alter from their original point.

Tell ten people something with detail, tell them to tell ten more, so on and so on. Eventually, the original story might be herd by some, but most will have twisted the story.

There is your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM
 
912 posts, read 701,083 times
Reputation: 115
[quote=Nozzferrahhtoo;21227336]False. I am willing to accept any argument, evidence, data OR Reasons to think there is a god if only there were some on offer that I could discuss, explore and evaluate. Nothing to do with just "labs". The issue is not what I am willing to accept. The issue is what is on OFFER. Which is, alas: Nothing.



if there was evidence of a God it would be in every newspaper , every TV station, every radio station everywhere.

people today want to be served and entertained as though theres a show or something....its very seldom to find a creative, brilliant , rare , daring,
unbelievable individual who can at least try to add to mankinds knowledge /rather
then just sit back in a high chair pushing what is served onto the floor like a big baby..
theres no creative ability in man in these times due to easy access to everything...no doubt about it. theres obviously something going on and basically nobody REALLy knows exactly.. so...man is going to have to pull up his socks and try to piece something general together, which at least has some quality . I think that airysha rai girl is a knock out. Thats my contribution to what you guys are talking about...http://www.aishwaryarai-videos.com/w...ya-Rai-013.jpg

Last edited by Blue Hue; 10-10-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,000 posts, read 18,593,034 times
Reputation: 13838
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Think of this... Did all humans just spawn up to where the are now? No! Science suggests that we migrated from a central point. There is even some evidence to prove this. I don't know many who would argue with this. Has anyone ever thought that when our ancestors all lived in that central point, that they all shared a religion? Then as they grew, as any group that gets too big, they started to have quarrels with each other. Finally they began to migrate away from this point. Each group altered their beliefs and traditions little by little.

This division took place several times, and still does happen. All evidence points out that over time and several divisions we would alter our lifestyle. However, we would keep some similarities in our cultures. We see this today in religion and throughout several other areas.

I bet if you took the religion of the very beginning, it would have several similarities to the religions we have today. I bet it would ring true in other areas of society as well.

Stories travel from group to group changing over time. Two cultures could be describing the same event, but with different details. Just look at how fast stories of today alter from their original point.

Tell ten people something with detail, tell them to tell ten more, so on and so on. Eventually, the original story might be herd by some, but most will have twisted the story.

There is your answer.
Okeeeey...... but the "root religion" is long gone, which reinforces my point.

Either there is no god or god doesn't support any religion, is "hand's off" and must want us to go it on our own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,083 posts, read 4,989,279 times
Reputation: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
agnostic soldier: Astronomers are scientists, and they haven't yet succeeded in dragging a star into a lab and weighing it. Not everything can be weighed and measured in a lab, even though its existence is obvious (unlike that of a god).
Perhaps I should have phrased that statement in a different way. By being weighed and measured in a lab I just meant things that can be empirically tested. Example, while astronomers haven't physically taken a star and moved it into a laboratory, they can use telescopes in which someone can conclude stars exist based on actually observing them.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 10-10-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,940 posts, read 9,740,644 times
Reputation: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
. I was hoping some other theists would post their evidence for the existence of God(swt).
Perhaps other theists haven't posted their evidence because....well...they don't have any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,946,392 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Okeeeey...... but the "root religion" is long gone, which reinforces my point.

Either there is no god or god doesn't support any religion, is "hand's off" and must want us to go it on our own...
The root religion is not long gone. It is here mixed into the modern religions. And we don't know what the root religion was, so there is a chance that it is still in existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,460,891 times
Reputation: 5059
Perhapa the "root religion", if there was one, is something like animism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,265,749 times
Reputation: 14879
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The root religion is not long gone. It is here mixed into the modern religions. And we don't know what the root religion was, so there is a chance that it is still in existence.
Well if we should want to explore he origins of religion, I would suggest that we should look towards the oldest living group of humans, the San people of Africa.

The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 AM
 
5,463 posts, read 5,808,216 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It presents mostly a problem for us theist in terms of explaining to a non-believer why we believe in the existence of God(swt) Non believers always demand solid, measurable physical proof or a preponderance of irrefutable evidence. For us theists no physical proof is needed.
Just to be clear, you don't need physical proof before you believe anything, or do you apply that standard only to some things? It seems like there's lots of gods which have no physical proof but lots of spiritual or personal experiences as truth, and yet you only believe in one of them. Why not believe all of them if that sort of evidence is reasonable?

Quote:
God(swt) has no need of mankind, it is we who have need of him. First we need to find reason to believe in Him. Then we need to learn how we can make ourselves worthy of eternal life in heaven.

Depends. For us Muslims it is perfectly logical God(swt) would not make his existence physically measurable. We see earth and life on it, as a test, a challenge and an obstacle course, along with being a time of learning.

This time of being in the Dun'ya(Life on earth) is some thing we need to find our way through if we are to be rewarded in Heaven.
This just reads as a list of excuses for why something so huge and omnipresent isn't showing up when we look for it.

Quote:
My reasons for having this opinion is based only on personal experience. It is a long story and can be read
Unless you're willing to accept the personal experience of atheists as evidence that there's no god, there's really not much point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 1,946,392 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Unless you're willing to accept the personal experience of atheists as evidence that there's no god, there's really not much point.
I am willing to accept the personal experience of an atheist as personal truth of whatever they want. As long as they do the same for any theist, spiritualist, and religious person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top