U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

91 posts, read 80,620 times

Advertisements

Mark Driscoll is the best thing to happen to Christianity and I regret I cant personally attend his church. For years, the masculine soul has been unable to express itself in the church. We have been forced to worship a wimpy Jesus but no more. I want a masculine Jesus that is rough and tough and doesnt take crap from anyone. This meek and mild Jesus doesnt cut it for me. Mark Driscoll shows us that Jesus was all man and God has blessed his ministry. He truly is an upstanding man of God and a shining beacon of righteousness for all preachers to aspire to. Finally, it is no longer a sin to be masculine.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,223,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
Mark Driscoll is the best thing to happen to Christianity and I regret I cant personally attend his church. For years, the masculine soul has been unable to express itself in the church. We have been forced to worship a wimpy Jesus but no more. I want a masculine Jesus that is rough and tough and doesnt take crap from anyone. This meek and mild Jesus doesnt cut it for me. Mark Driscoll shows us that Jesus was all man and God has blessed his ministry. He truly is an upstanding man of God and a shining beacon of righteousness for all preachers to aspire to. Finally, it is no longer a sin to be masculine.
Once again, man creates god in his own image.

This "Masculine Jesus" certainly isn't the one preached in the Bible. Jesus said "love your enemies," not "destroy them in a hail of bullets." Jesus said "turn the other cheek," not, "punch the b&stard in the face." Jesus was meek and mild . . . that was the whole point of his message!

Driscoll is also an outspoken sexist. In my opinion, a real man recognizes the equality between men and women. As a man, male chauvinism and anti-feminism are deeply offensive to me. When you objectify and dehumanize women, you degrade men as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Once again, man creates god in his own image.

This "Masculine Jesus" certainly isn't the one preached in the Bible. Jesus said "love your enemies," not "destroy them in a hail of bullets." Jesus said "turn the other cheek," not, "punch the b&stard in the face." Jesus was meek and mild . . . that was the whole point of his message!

Driscoll is also an outspoken sexist. In my opinion, a real man recognizes the equality between men and women. As a man, male chauvinism and anti-feminism are deeply offensive to me. When you objectify and dehumanize women, you degrade men as well.

Jesus was masculine and he did preach forgiveness but he was still a man and struggled with things like being tempted to punch someone in the face. He was no wimp. Driscoll is no sexist. You don't understand the masculine heart. Men love sex but they should love their wives as well. Sex is a beautiful thing and I think it needs to be talked about openly. Today's church acts as if sex is dirty and thats not what God intended. I am against feminism because the man is the head of the house and the woman must be in subjection but that doesnt mean the man can abuse his wife. It simply means he is the final decision maker in that house.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Jesus was masculine and he did preach forgiveness but he was still a man and struggled with things like being tempted to punch someone in the face. He was no wimp. Driscoll is no sexist. You don't understand the masculine heart.
I've been a (straight) male my whole life. Of course I understand the masculine heart.

Quote:
Driscoll is no sexist.
Really? I won't say anything, I'll just let Driscoll do the talking (all of these are direct quotes from Mark Driscoll, they have not been altered):

"Examples include referring to God as a chick . . . "

"A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband's sin, but she may not be helping him either."

Driscoll subscribes to the "complementarian" view of Scripture which despite the innocent-sounding name, is deeply misogynistic and degrading. Here's the Wiki article on "complementarianism," if you're interested:
Complementarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Men love sex but they should love their wives as well. Sex is a beautiful thing and I think it needs to be talked about openly.
I agree that sex is beautiful, and I don't think the Christian right has the market cornered on men loving their wives.

Quote:
I am against feminism because the man is the head of the house and the woman must be in subjection
Why? What about women makes them inferior to men? I find that deeply offensive.

Quote:
but that doesnt mean the man can abuse his wife. It simply means he is the final decision maker in that house.
This attitude comes from antiquated, socially-constructed Western values. This is not the 1930s. Women are equal today, and any successful marriage will allow both the husband and wife to make decisions.

In my opinion, any household in which a woman has no power to make her own decisions is abusive.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,580,698 times
Quote:
Jesus died thousands of years ago. Mark Driscoll doesn't know anything grand or special that no one else can't find out by reading the same material he did.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I've been a (straight) male my whole life. Of course I understand the masculine heart.

Really? I won't say anything, I'll just let Driscoll do the talking (all of these are direct quotes from Mark Driscoll, they have not been altered):

"Examples include referring to God as a chick . . . "

"A wife who lets herself go and is not sexually available to her husband in the ways that the Song of Songs is so frank about is not responsible for her husband's sin, but she may not be helping him either."

Driscoll subscribes to the "complementarian" view of Scripture which despite the innocent-sounding name, is deeply misogynistic and degrading. Here's the Wiki article on "complementarianism," if you're interested:
Complementarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that sex is beautiful, and I don't think the Christian right has the market cornered on men loving their wives.

Why? What about women makes them inferior to men? I find that deeply offensive.

This attitude comes from antiquated, socially-constructed Western values. This is not the 1930s. Women are equal today, and any successful marriage will allow both the husband and wife to make decisions.

In my opinion, any household in which a woman has no power to make her own decisions is abusive.

If you are a man, start acting like it. A man has needs.A man's wife needs to be mature enough to meet those needs if she wants to keep her man. That doesnt mean he should see her as a sex object but marriage without sex is like a car without an engine. I never said women were inferior to men. They are just different. While the woman is to be in subjection, dont forget the husband has obligations too. He is the protector of his family and must be brave and strong for them. Thats not sexist. I thank God that I have a Proverbs 31 wife. She is my best friend and I love her as Christ loved the church.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
If you are a man, start acting like it. A man has needs.A man's wife needs to be mature enough to meet those needs if she wants to keep her man. That doesnt mean he should see her as a sex object but marriage without sex is like a car without an engine. I never said women were inferior to men. They are just different. While the woman is to be in subjection, dont forget the husband has obligations too. He is the protector of his family and must be brave and strong for them. Thats not sexist. I thank God that I have a Proverbs 31 wife. She is my best friend and I love her as Christ loved the church.
This is not the 19th century.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
This is not the 19th century.

I know it's not the 19th century. Mark Driscoll is culturally relevant.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Jesus died thousands of years ago. Mark Driscoll doesn't know anything grand or special that no one else can't find out by reading the same material he did.
If you read the scriptures and pray in the spirit, all well become clear

Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 PM

37,615 posts, read 25,307,232 times
Quote:
I thank God that I have a Proverbs 31 wife. She is my best friend and I love her as Christ loved the church.
She has my sympathies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality