U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,717,270 times

Advertisements

This is likely a moot point since I have never been a Catholic, but it is still something I wonder about if at some point I change my views on religion.

Here is the backround, my family is very religiously diverse and it includes several devout Catholics. From what I understand having me baptized as a baby was very important to them, but it was not neccesarily approved of by my parents, who objected to it, but really didn't care.

Anyway I have been told by a few people that I may, or may not have been baptized, but I cannot really be sure since I was a baby at the time and for various reasons it would be next to impossible to find out if this occured since it was so long ago.

So here is my question if I were to convert to Catholicism would I be baptized, potentially a second time, or would I just have to chance it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
This is likely a moot point since I have never been a Catholic, but it is still something I wonder about if at some point I change my views on religion.

Here is the backround, my family is very religiously diverse and it includes several devout Catholics. From what I understand having me baptized as a baby was very important to them, but it was not neccesarily approved of by my parents, who objected to it, but really didn't care.

Anyway I have been told by a few people that I may, or may not have been baptized, but I cannot really be sure since I was a baby at the time and for various reasons it would be next to impossible to find out if this occured since it was so long ago.

So here is my question if I were to convert to Catholicism would I be baptized, potentially a second time, or would I just have to chance it?
I left Catholicism over 40 years ago, but the teaching at that time was you would be Baptized, but the Priest would use the words: "If you are not baptized, I baptize you in the name of................."

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times
I am also a former Catholic, and I'm almost certain you would be baptized, whether you had been before or not, since the Church is the "One True Church".

Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,734,972 times
Quote:
If you can find out the name of the parish where you were supposedly baptised, they should have a record of it.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 PM

First thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
If you can find out the name of the parish where you were supposedly baptised, they should have a record of it.
I have an idea of which one it might be if it happened at all, but cannot be sure and as I said its not that pressing. If they keep records of that sort of think I might have to check it out.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM

912 posts, read 697,077 times
You could always get a Catholic to baptise you in the kitchen or whatever.
That will do it if you do it properly with good intentions...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,678,000 times
Why the flip is this a problem or even a question?!?!?

Talk to a priest and he sprinkles holy water on you with a few prayers. End of story.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Why the flip is this a problem or even a question?!?!?

Talk to a priest and he sprinkles holy water on you with a few prayers. End of story.
1. I have no intention to convert at the moment I thought I made that clear.
2. I was just curious about possibly doing it twice and if there were theological issues, that was answered. That is all. This seems to bother you much more then it should.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
I was baptized as a methodist. Just had to provide a copy of the certificate.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,734,972 times
Quote:
I have an idea of which one it might be if it happened at all, but cannot be sure and as I said its not that pressing. If they keep records of that sort of think I might have to check it out.
Yup. Every parish keeps baptismal records. Unless something happened (fire, flood, what have you) to damage or destroy them, there's a record of it somewhere.

And, as Oakback's case testifies, the Catholic Church recognizes any valid baptism. If you want a detailed explanation of the sacrament, here is a good source: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Baptism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality