U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 768 times

Advertisements

I ask you why you believe after death?
I would love to know what inside you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM

153 posts, read 336,444 times
Death is my biggest fear in my life, and I find very few people who don't feel the same. It's to the point where I have no idea why I just read this thread because I won't be able to sleep tonight. There's several aspects of it I fear, but what's good is that those thoughts run through my head for about a minute after a movie, TV show, news story, message board posting, etc and then they go away.

What I find odd is that when I was younger, friends and classmates and I would almost joke about it. I think once someone you know dies, or once you understand it more, it's not really as funny as it once used to be.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM

16,490 posts, read 20,028,338 times
I think the most perfect death is when you have no last minutes or seconds to dwell upon it. That's what I'm praying for!

I read of these "lucky deaths", now and then, in the newspaper where the victim died, didn't have but a split second to think about it!

Whenever I read the assessment, and it says: died instantly at the scene, I envy their deaths!

Who, on earth, wants to be diagnosed with cancer, and the doctors tells them: You have, possibly, 6 months to a year to live! Think of all those long days thinking about your upcoming death!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think the most perfect death is when you have no last minutes or seconds to dwell upon it. That's what I'm praying for!

I read of these "lucky deaths", now and then, in the newspaper where the victim died, didn't have but a split second to think about it!

Whenever I read the assessment, and it says: died instantly at the scene, I envy their deaths!

Who, on earth, wants to be diagnosed with cancer, and the doctors tells them: You have, possibly, 6 months to a year to live! Think of all those long days thinking about your upcoming death!
I kind of know what it's like to be that cancer patient (at least just the fear part). While I didn't have a terminal illness, I was 90% convinced I was going to die (I had reason to, but it turned out I was mistaken). So I know the gripping sense of fear and urgent panic one who is on the cusp of expiration feels.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,063,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Did you not say this......
I am aware of what I said thank you. I said "Few people complain". Showing a quote where some people have described me as zealous is not people complaining, unless you want to pretend "zealous" is de facto a bad thing. Zealous means things like "devoted and diligent".

If you want to trawl my posting history for quotes, please at least try and make them relevant and on topic.

Quote:
Maybe you could explain what you mean by this? I am genuinely curious how going off to die could preserve the organisms genes in the next generation?
Sure, not a problem. I can think of a lot of ways. I will give you a simple three.

1) By wandering off to die you remove your corpse from the area of your off spring. Corpses invite bacteria, disease and hence death. By dying away from your pack therefore you aid the survival of your genes (in your existing progeny) by not inviting disease to them.

2) Similarly a corpse invites scavengers and hunters. Removing yourself from the pack to die will lead such creatures away from the main group.

3) A sick creature who wanders off to die will also use up less of the resources, such as food and drink, that the rest of the pack require and hence the survivability of others is increased.

The thing to note is that preserving your genes into the future is not just a case of reproducing. It is ALSO a case of ensuring they themselves survive better, and the "decision" to wander off to die is very much advantageous to that goal.

Quote:
Sounds like your riding the fence to me, commit to a viewpoint.
Using the word maybe in such a fashion is not an indication of sitting on the fence, but an indication of being open minded and also of recognising the limitations of ones own knowledge.

I recognize that I have seen literally no evidence to suggest animals contemplate the concept of death itself. I also recognize there are still many things to learn about our closest rivals in the animal kingdom in the area of consciousness and the brain.

So I would certainly not presume to know what such creatures think, but I declare that while firmly pointing out there is absolutely nothing on offer to suggest my position is wrong either at this time.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,471,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I think most would probably find that sudden deaths are much more tragic and traumatic for the survivors, and if polled, would likely much rather go like Steve Jobs than, say, a passenger on a jet that crashes shortly after takeoff or in a car going head-on with another.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,296,085 times
It's not so much death (though I think about that) but the process of dying. That could get unpleasant.

As the car radio said on the way home tonight:

"Dyin' to me don't sound like all that much fun"

Old 10-28-2011, 10:19 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,891,895 times
Oh heck, I think about my own passing when I hear a new NDE story. I don't look forward to the suffering in the flesh before I pass and go towards that light, but the passing into eternity is a very neat thing to ponder.

The more I befriend and obey, or even try, humbly to obey my conscience the more I welcome the thought of passing when it has to happen. I sure have no desire to hasten it, but I no longer dread it. This sick world truly is not my home.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,571,871 times
Fear of death is natural, in as much as it's a product of your survival instincts.

Logically there's no reason to fear it though.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,696,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As an atheist approaching 60 and find my constantly reminded by the death of individuals younger than myself I think about death quite often. I don't fear it because I know that every day I move further along the line of mortals moving inextricably towards the head of that line. So when I think of death I think of Hamlets soliloquy:
To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished.
Beautiful post..thank you for reminding me of Hamlet, fantastic to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality