U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times

Advertisements

After a traumatic experience I find myself thinking about it alot more than I used to. My ponderings and questionings related to philosophy, religion and life in general often lead to me dwelling, usually negatively, about death. The shortness of life, the inevitability of my extinction, my fate after death, those sort of things. Prior to this, I would have periods where I'd think of it a bit too much, but usually it was kept in the back of my mind. It resurfaces when someone close to me dies or when I hear about death in the news. Visiting cemeteries also causes one to reflect on death and consequently on life too. Being anxious can be a stressful experience because you are painfully aware of how delicate the mortal coil is: in other words, how easy it is to cross over from life to death. One wrong turn on the road, one slip in the shower, choking on food or something...in a highly anxious state one sees threats everywhere! It's a rather horrible way to live, but anyway, getting off topic a bit lol.

Also does it usually bring you positive or negative thoughts? I can imagine only someone with strong religious convictions would be overjoyed by the thought, while an atheist might be neutral about it at best.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,117,637 times
Honestly, I think of it very little. The reason is because I am too busy trying to live as much life as possible every minute of the day. As you already alluded to, you can't count on living to a ripe old age and dying peacefully in your sleep. Because of that I see no reason to think about death or be concerned with it. There's nothing you can do about it, so live it up!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
I'm an athesist but I'm certainly not neutral about it.
I ain't ready yet!
At my age there are plenty of reminders but the thoughts about it are usually momentary.
The thinking usually concerns practical matters.
I prefer to leave things neat and easy for whoever has to deal with them.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
There is really no point in dwelling over or having needless worry about death. The fact is we will all face it and we do not know when.

Prepare for death as if it will be before your next heart beat, but at the same time plan to do all you can to make this world a better place.

As a Muslim I see life as nothing more than a training time and a time of choices and trials. Death is Graduation day from this school called life, I simply to do my best in this kindergarten, to enable me to go on to university after Graduation.

I look forward to Graduation but I do know I will not meet the criteria for graduation until I complete all of my class work with a passing grade. So to me I do my best to work for graduation and to keep from dropping out of school.

I have been in this school for over 70 years and am looking forward to graduation, the homework is getting to be too much and the teachers are getting to be too grouchy.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
As an atheist approaching 60 and find my constantly reminded by the death of individuals younger than myself I think about death quite often. I don't fear it because I know that every day I move further along the line of mortals moving inextricably towards the head of that line. So when I think of death I think of Hamlets soliloquy:
To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,570,594 times
The survival instinct in humans is strong and hard to soothe. Most people find the idea of eternally losing conscious very uncomfortable, and so have developed all sorts of desperate theories on why we may be able to live forever.

There are times when it is uncomfortable for me. I usually remind myself that it's just my survivale instincts kicking in, and there's no reason for me to fear it, and that's enough to do the trick.

If that doesn't help you, you may consider the possability that life extension techniques are being refined at an incredible pace, and some people believe that the first people that will live over 1000 years are alive today. Alternatively, transhumanism may allow our sapient self to exist indefinately in a digital form. These are crazy times we live in, who knows what science has in store for us!

Check this out:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/4003063.stm

Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
I think of my death everyday, and this spurns me on to keep learning new things and enjoying the life I'm leading while I have it. There's no second chance, unfortunately.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,280,426 times
At least once a week, sometimes more depending on how depressed I am. I'm not suicidal, but sometimes I am guilty of thinking of death as being the way out of things. I also think quite a bit of old age, and whether or not I'll be alone in the world, and I wonder how, if I ever died, it would happen.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,279,038 times
I think about my death every single day. I have a death obsession. It keeps my life in perspective though.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,511,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
After a traumatic experience I find myself thinking about it alot more than I used to. My ponderings and questionings related to philosophy, religion and life in general often lead to me dwelling, usually negatively, about death. The shortness of life, the inevitability of my extinction, my fate after death, those sort of things. Prior to this, I would have periods where I'd think of it a bit too much, but usually it was kept in the back of my mind. It resurfaces when someone close to me dies or when I hear about death in the news. Visiting cemeteries also causes one to reflect on death and consequently on life too. Being anxious can be a stressful experience because you are painfully aware of how delicate the mortal coil is: in other words, how easy it is to cross over from life to death. One wrong turn on the road, one slip in the shower, choking on food or something...in a highly anxious state one sees threats everywhere! It's a rather horrible way to live, but anyway, getting off topic a bit lol.

Also does it usually bring you positive or negative thoughts? I can imagine only someone with strong religious convictions would be overjoyed by the thought, while an atheist might be neutral about it at best.

I think about it a lot without any cause for worry or anxiety though. I'm not overly precautious about things which may cause death (driving, traveling, eating, hiking, etc) though not overly reckless, because I believe I will not die until my time comes. To be worried all the time in the ways which were mentioned not only runs counter to my spiritual beliefs but in my opinion does seem a rather tepid way to live.

I mean to enjoy life as much as possible while things are still mild and enjoyment possible. When I say "enjoy" I do not mean living in extravagence and consuming as much as possible; my spiritual beliefs have led me to a life of minimalism. I am as content as possible in this, and can only hope that life will allow me to continue in this way. It seems however that society is heading for a hard turn, and at that time I may feel that death may be a relief. At the momemt though I have no positive or negative thoughts associated with death; it is just a fact which lies before me though I know not the time or manner.

I do have a morbid fascination with illness, and imagine myself dying in one particular way. I tell myself I am convinced this is how I will die, though one can truly never know these things.

The phrase "shortness of life" is something which rings true with me. I truly wonder if many others appreciate the rapidity by which life is quickly lived and then done with. But even with that, I do not believe that death should be feared by the dying; it is rather more true that the ones who live must suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality