U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738

Advertisements

According to the Epic of Gilgamesh, how can one escape the normal dismal fate of the dead and gain access to pure water in the afterlife?

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,517,003 times
Reputation: 7377
You should be ashamed of yourself. You are going to make me work. I thought I knew a lot about the "Epic of Gilgamesh" but now realize that although I have read a lot about it, I never read it. Now I'm going to have to read it to see if I can answer your question.




PS Does Readers Digest have a condensed version?

For those as curious as me you can read it online HERE
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself. You are going to make me work. I thought I knew a lot about the "Epic of Gilgamesh" but now realize that although I have read a lot about it, I never read it. Now I'm going to have to read it to see if I can answer your question.




PS Does Readers Digest have a condensed version?

For those as curious as me you can read it online HERE

HAHA! Excellent! You do indeed have your work cut out for you!

Let me know if you need any hints - you know, like which rescension, which tablet, etc.... hee hee hee!

Don't worry - the search is well worth the effort, as usual. If this is your first time reading it - you are in for a treat! Take your time, though - don't spoil it with your Reader's Digest version ha ha! The act of reading it is as much of a journey as the one Gilgamesh takes, in my humble opinion. I don't know anyone who has sat down with this work, worked their way through it, and not come away amazed at what they (and most of the world for thousands of years) have been missing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
 
Location: around the way
656 posts, read 901,640 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself. You are going to make me work. I thought I knew a lot about the "Epic of Gilgamesh" but now realize that although I have read a lot about it, I never read it. Now I'm going to have to read it to see if I can answer your question.




PS Does Readers Digest have a condensed version?

For those as curious as me you can read it online HERE
I read it and I still don't remember the answer. I know there was something about a flower at the bottom of the sea that granted eternal life, but as far as the afterlife, you've got me stumped...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
I read it and I still don't remember the answer. I know there was something about a flower at the bottom of the sea that granted eternal life, but as far as the afterlife, you've got me stumped...

The plant granted one's youth back (so the next best thing to eternal life, right? ), and appears to clash with the central theme of the work: man's fate is mortality, and only one man was granted eternal life - it's possible it was added, or from another tradition, and became popular enough to remain. Perhaps it was an alternate version of the reply that is given after the Flood narrative?

Maybe that's a hint about the "pure water" question...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738
Come on now - nobody has gotten the answer yet?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has taken up the challenge and reread the work, or read it for the first time - just to hear their thoughts on it, as well!

One more hint: it's probably not in the standard Babylonian version linked above...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,043,929 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
According to the Epic of Gilgamesh, how can one escape the normal dismal fate of the dead and gain access to pure water in the afterlife?
I believe the story of the Great King..and his kingdom was based on a plant at the center of the Garden..(very simular to God's Eden)...if the plant was there, and left to do what it did or does naturally...(Climatize the area, filtered the air, water , and soils, also transpired the water from the ground to the air so it would rain, connected to the sun and bought power to the Earth, storing heat....it also kept out evil when sown sinlessly = Holy ground..) as long as they left it alone....I believe that is the knowledge of the King ...His enemie Inkidu was a wild man of the forest, from a wild land..and they fought and fought..because Inkidu was so brave,and so strong, and such a fine warrior the King grew to love him in battle..more then hate him...when Inkidu vanished...Gilgahmesh went to find him in the mountains of spirit...and while he was seeking his friend...the kingdom was laid waste...the plant no one knew how to use right...was abused, defiled, profaned, twisted to idols, and bent ...evil came onto the lands...God's anger grew over them...they did not put it back the right way ever...and the story continues throughout time...a story of everlasting perportions...the plant is still here, the wild man inkidu has showed his face as a indian native..and the King looking for his friend throughtout time...one day these three things will come together as one...and the kingdom will come again of peace, health, and happiness...of course we all have to do our part to keep the story alive, and come to an epic end....as the king has made his will known..his judgements..his laws..his covenants...if we follow them...we become sinless enough to put it back where it belongs...tame the wild...and make peace with all living things....Yep..that is the story....and it goes to war with God tragically at first...but then it gets better...and then it is wonderful...forever after.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
I believe the story of the Great King..and his kingdom was based on a plant at the center of the Garden..(very simular to God's Eden)...if the plant was there, and left to do what it did or does naturally...(Climatize the area, filtered the air, water , and soils, also transpired the water from the ground to the air so it would rain, connected to the sun and bought power to the Earth, storing heat....it also kept out evil when sown sinlessly = Holy ground..) as long as they left it alone....I believe that is the knowledge of the King ...His enemie Inkidu was a wild man of the forest, from a wild land..and they fought and fought..because Inkidu was so brave,and so strong, and such a fine warrior the King grew to love him in battle..more then hate him...when Inkidu vanished...Gilgahmesh went to find him in the mountains of spirit...and while he was seeking his friend...the kingdom was laid waste...the plant no one knew how to use right...was abused, defiled, profaned, twisted to idols, and bent ...evil came onto the lands...God's anger grew over them...they did not put it back the right way ever...and the story continues throughout time...a story of everlasting perportions...the plant is still here, the wild man inkidu has showed his face as a indian native..and the King looking for his friend throughtout time...one day these three things will come together as one...and the kingdom will come again of peace, health, and happiness...of course we all have to do our part to keep the story alive, and come to an epic end....as the king has made his will known..his judgements..his laws..his covenants...if we follow them...we become sinless enough to put it back where it belongs...tame the wild...and make peace with all living things....Yep..that is the story....and it goes to war with God tragically at first...but then it gets better...and then it is wonderful...forever after.
I want what YOU'RE having!

Does this mean you haven't solved the trivia question, either?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,571,236 times
Reputation: 1760
I'm trying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,149,618 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm trying.
Hooray! Happy hunting!
I know someone will emerge victorious in this battle for the secret of pure water!

Another hint: a couch may be involved. A couch.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top