U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,505,408 times
Reputation: 833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
What's interesting is that Abram - when faced with the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah - is horrified at God's plans, and he engages in a long, edifying attempt at trying to persuade God from destroying the innocent along with the guilty, and manages to haggle God down to a more just plan ; Noah - on the other hand - makes no attempt whatsoever to convince God to avert his plans to destroy all mankind (at least as far as we are told). He just goes with the flow (pun intended) and survives. Quite a contrast between the characters, I think.

An added note - while Abram argues vociferously with God to spare the innocent at Sodom, he makes absolutely no attempt at saving his own son, Isaac, from the sacrifice that he has been commanded to make of him. Another interesting contrast...

Anyways - it's pretty difficult to apply later teachings (1st century Christian teachings) to people living many hundreds of years prior - it's like condemning a historical figure for not paying mininum wage to his peasant slaves heh heh.
If none of this actually happened, why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times
Reputation: 5054
It is literary criticism. One need not believe a book of fantasy in order to criticize it. The Bible is IMO an epic collection of tales. An added reason to criticze it is because so many take it as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 PM
 
5,187 posts, read 5,416,154 times
Reputation: 1612
I think a 120-year warning to hop on the boat is fair and justifiable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 PM
 
689 posts, read 395,111 times
Reputation: 96
You are the perfect example of someone having much to say, But you are so wrong. IF you read the bible, you would see that Jesus agrees with EVERYTHING his Father said and did, (John 10:30 -I and my Father are one).

So Jesus was right in Heaven when his FATHER,…”the God of the OT” did what he wanted to do. And he WOULD “condone” what Noah did. Noah did what his Father told him to do,. Just as Jesus did what his Father told him to do, (John 5:30 -I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me).

You said…”Jesus, a good Rabbi, sometimes” if it’s “sometimes” ,then why complain because he’s being tied to God? It doesn’t matter if you don’t like it., Neither does Jesus or his Father care’s about your negative attitude towards the “God of the OT”. Jesus LET US KNOW he IS “tied” to the God of the OT, (John 3:16,17- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved).

Jesus ISN’T the “new and improved God”, again… Jesus was in Heaven, RIGHT next to his Father when mankind was being destroyed. You talked as though you know Jesus, when you really DON’T. IF you knew Jesus you would know to stop putting down his Father. And try doing his will ,(Matt.7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven). peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:26 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,836,299 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It is literary criticism. One need not believe a book of fantasy in order to criticize it. The Bible is IMO an epic collection of tales. An added reason to criticze it is because so many take it as fact.
Yes. Literalists and fundamentals.
The evil side of believers and religion IMO.
They all hurt their own cults.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,836,299 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think a 120-year warning to hop on the boat is fair and justifiable..
So genocide becomes good justice if you warn people.
If you say so.

How exactly were the innocent children and babies warned.
How can children and babies be evil enough to murder?
It must be quite the sin for God to break his own law and kill.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:33 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,148,042 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
If none of this actually happened, why do you care?

Who said it never happened?

As to a reply to your strange question: Cartman said it nicely for me.

There are people out there who study subjects in which belief is not required. A scholar of Mesopotamia still studies the Epic of Gilgamesh and enjoys it - realizing it probably never happened. Scholars of Shakespearre spend many years studying his works - realizing that most of his characters are made-up fictions.

If you ever apply yourself to the Bible in a scholarly manner, with the possibility that "all scripture is inspired" has been misapplied kept in the back of your mind, you might find yourself enjoying a whole new vista of Biblical learning - once you get over the initial sticker shock of having to readjust cherished beliefs learned from non-professionals and fundamentalists who still feel the King James Version is the only good translation out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,148,042 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
So genocide becomes good justice if you warn people.
If you say so.

How exactly were the innocent children and babies warned.
How can children and babies be evil enough to murder?
It must be quite the sin for God to break his own law and kill.

Regards
DL

He wouldn't be much of a god if his own laws were so powerful and binding that they applied to himself, without the possibility of him ever breaking or amending them.

I don't agree with some of the genocides reported in the Bible, but it's not as if the Israelites were the only ones doing such a thing back then. Again - applying modern morals on an ancient text doesn't invalidate that text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,134 posts, read 8,226,063 times
Reputation: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Yes. Innocent children and babies tend to ignore adults because they are not bright enough to know right from wrong.
Drown them regardless. Who cares. Not your God.

Woe to those like you who call evil good.

Regards
DL
These people were pure evil and were teaching their children the same. They had continually rejected God. The sealed their own fate, and the fate of their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,836,299 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
You are the perfect example of someone having much to say, But you are so wrong. IF you read the bible, you would see that Jesus agrees with EVERYTHING his Father said and did, (John 10:30 -I and my Father are one).

So Jesus was right in Heaven when his FATHER,…”the God of the OT” did what he wanted to do. And he WOULD “condone” what Noah did. Noah did what his Father told him to do,. Just as Jesus did what his Father told him to do, (John 5:30 -I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me).

You said…”Jesus, a good Rabbi, sometimes” if it’s “sometimes” ,then why complain because he’s being tied to God? It doesn’t matter if you don’t like it., Neither does Jesus or his Father care’s about your negative attitude towards the “God of the OT”. Jesus LET US KNOW he IS “tied” to the God of the OT, (John 3:16,17- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved).

Jesus ISN’T the “new and improved God”, again… Jesus was in Heaven, RIGHT next to his Father when mankind was being destroyed. You talked as though you know Jesus, when you really DON’T. IF you knew Jesus you would know to stop putting down his Father. And try doing his will ,(Matt.7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven). peace
First. I have likely read more bibles than yourself, so shrink your head to normal size.

Second. You have Jesus born before his mother was and you also have Jesus/God impregnationg his own mother to produce himself.

Incest is best for the breach of one commandment and God coveting another man's woman makes two.

Just which one of us is putting down your sky daddy?

You say you know Jesus.
Would he say it is better to kill or to cure?

Woe to those who call evil good.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top