U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,239,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
Good thing I am absolutely free of "sin" of any kind. I've never stolen anything. I've never killed anybody. I've never hurt another human being that was not in self defense or in defense of another. I've never bettered myself off of another's misfortune. What do I need to repent? Other than logical thinking.

Jesus died almost 2000 years before my birth. What sin could I have committed?

"God is using his servants to show them the right way." - You mean your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM

7,811 posts, read 5,087,280 times
Quote:
I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive.
This is advice many of your theist friends should take on a similar subject.

I have a similar slogan to yours. It goes "Attack the idea, not the person".

As such when I tell people a certain idea, such as the belief there is a god, is a bad or stupid idea... I am only talking about the idea. I am not calling the holder of the idea bad or stupid.

To use your words:

"I strive to be touch on bad ideas while being compassionate to the holder of those ideas. When they are told they are wrong, they need to stop being so defensive."

However given the lack of any evidence for a god there is one gaping hole in your quote above. That is that it is YOU judging the actions of others and commenting on it, not any god. You might be hiding behind your idea of a god and placing the blame for being judgemental on it... but at the end of the day it is you standing there, you doing the judging, and you doing the talking. So do not be surprised when people become offended with you or play this "I am just the messanger" card. It is you bestowing your judgements on people, then inventing a god to lend weight to what is essentially just your opinion.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 AM

12,520 posts, read 14,679,497 times
Quote:
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
Are you not "of the world"???Many men and women have died protecting others, and yes...that is a great love.....I'm thinking that by "sinner" you mean those who don't believe in god.....and that in my opinion should be between them and your god....not you...by judging others you yourself are a sinner...don't you think??

Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,907,182 times
There is no call to be obnoxious shouting in the streets. There is a call to be a witness. In the end, it's God who justifies is Christian (Matt 7) not man justifying themselves. Christ says you will know them by their fruits (what they do). That's how God identifies them as well. The greatest testimony for is the change in one's lifestyle word. The greatest testimony against is the lack of change in one's lifestyle to the word.

So shouting in the streets Hell fire judgement isn't the approach. Jesus called his disciples to exchange in intimate discussion with those that received the message in peace. For those that didn't, he said "let the dead bury the dead."

It's not our job to "convert" people. That is the job of God. We are called to be a witness (a noun), to share the gospel message, and to be able to give an answer for why the hope is within us. No need to compromise when you have the truth.

There will be an accountability from our creator. This creator appeared in the image of Jesus Christ (Col 1:14-17) to redeem it to himself. All that don't come to him are proclaimed to have "no hope". This life is the opportunity to repent.

What is this dimension of time?

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy."
Daniel 9:24

What we are in the age of mercy and grace. This will all come to an end when God says it's time.

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:" Colossians 1:16

Time to humble ourselves and find out the truth.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,433,259 times
It doesn't matter, in the final analysis, how 'nice' you are about it or how much you soft-pedal it. It is you, telling the rest of us what behavior is condoned.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,516,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It doesn't matter, in the final analysis, how 'nice' you are about it or how much you soft-pedal it. It is you, telling the rest of us what behavior is condoned.
Aren't you doing the same when you preach atheistic values?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,101,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
There is no call to be obnoxious shouting in the streets. There is a call to be a witness. In the end, it's God who justifies is Christian (Matt 7) not man justifying themselves. Christ says you will know them by their fruits (what they do). That's how God identifies them as well. The greatest testimony for is the change in one's lifestyle word. The greatest testimony against is the lack of change in one's lifestyle to the word.

So shouting in the streets Hell fire judgement isn't the approach. Jesus called his disciples to exchange in intimate discussion with those that received the message in peace. For those that didn't, he said "let the dead bury the dead."

It's not our job to "convert" people. That is the job of God. We are called to be a witness (a noun), to share the gospel message, and to be able to give an answer for why the hope is within us. No need to compromise when you have the truth.

There will be an accountability from our creator. This creator appeared in the image of Jesus Christ (Col 1:14-17) to redeem it to himself. All that don't come to him are proclaimed to have "no hope". This life is the opportunity to repent.

What is this dimension of time?

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy." Daniel 9:24

What we are in the age of mercy and grace. This will all come to an end when God says it's time.

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:" Colossians 1:16

Time to humble ourselves and find out the truth.

I humbled myself before no-one when it comes to infringing on my beliefs.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion. Respect others in their view and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. The
Seek to respect your life and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a signed of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its wisdom. (Something most Christians should learn).
When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song like a hero going home.

Chief Tecumseh, Shawnee Nation-1768-1813

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,149,895 times
Quote:
Perhaps we could start this process with the world’s largest Church.
Seeing as they hoard the largest accumulated amount of stolen wealth on the planet while allowing children to starve.
Maybe God does not consider that a sin.
Or perhaps the thousands and thousands of innocent children the priests and bishops have sexually molested and raped, while protecting predators and concealing evidence.
I guess God does not consider that a sin either, for if he existed, would he not surly incinerate the city that acts as home to the most hypocritical group of criminal sociopaths on the planet?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:09 PM

12,960 posts, read 18,557,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Aren't you doing the same when you preach atheistic values?
What exactly are "atheistic values" anyway? I seem to have misplaced my "Book of Atheism" and have been neglecting attendance at the weekly meetings....

Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM

7,811 posts, read 5,087,280 times
He doesnt know either. He just churns out these one liners on all the threads to get a reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality