Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them.
I wonder if everyone loves condescension like this as much as I do? "Those who are of the world..." but clearly you aren't putting yourself in that group.

Suppose I told you that I'm Jewish. Jesus didn't "die for my sins," and I don't need to be "saved." The difference between me and you is, I'm not pushing my religion in your face, implying that mine is better than yours and offering you some kind of "salvation" if you come over to my way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 02:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What exactly are "atheistic values" anyway? I seem to have misplaced my "Book of Atheism" and have been neglecting attendance at the weekly meetings....

Atheistic values?

I guess one would be: Seeking Truth.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Agnostics search the rest are propagandist.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Yes, the atheistic values of believing what is true and rejecting what is not...Such evil values...No wonder atheists are the most hated demographic in America...

Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Agnostics search the rest are propagandist.
Truth cannot be propaganda...If there are propagandists in the equation it is the religious who express as fact what they desire to be fact, but which is not fact....

We all search, and agnostics are often apathetic, and really don't care one way or another.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I humbled myself before no-one when it comes to infringing on my beliefs.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion. Respect others in their view and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. The
Seek to respect your life and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide. Always give a word or a signed of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its wisdom. (Something most Christians should learn).
When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song like a hero going home.

Chief Tecumseh, Shawnee Nation-1768-1813

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Proverbs 8:35-36

"35For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

36But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death."

Romans 1

"18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

There is opinion and then there is truth. In the end, all that stands is truth.

2 Thessalonians 2

"7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now restrains will restrains, until he be taken out of the way.

8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. "

Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, the atheistic values of believing what is true and rejecting what is not...Such evil values...No wonder atheists are the most hated demographic in America...
Where are the stats for this? Because 99.999% of the people I've encountered couldn't care less.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Where are the stats for this? Because 99.999% of the people I've encountered couldn't care less.
Can't do your own research?

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society…

Atheist: 39.6%

Muslims: 26.3%

Homosexuals: 22.6%

Hispanics: 20%

Conservative Christians: 13.5%

Recent Immigrants: 12.5%

Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group….

Atheist: 47.6%

Muslim: 33.5%

African-American 27.2%

Asian-Americans: 18.5%

Hispanics: 18.5%

Jews: 11.8%

Conservative Christians: 6.9%

Whites: 2.3%

The degree of this intolerance is a bit surprising. My experience has taught me that atheists tend to be very intelligent, thoughtful people with a high standard of ethics that they carry through to their everyday lives.

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority | NEWS JUNKIE POST

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~hartmann/fil...he%20other.pdf

Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Can't do your own research?

This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society…

Atheist: 39.6%

Muslims: 26.3%

Homosexuals: 22.6%

Hispanics: 20%

Conservative Christians: 13.5%

Recent Immigrants: 12.5%

Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group….

Atheist: 47.6%

Muslim: 33.5%

African-American 27.2%

Asian-Americans: 18.5%

Hispanics: 18.5%

Jews: 11.8%

Conservative Christians: 6.9%

Whites: 2.3%

The degree of this intolerance is a bit surprising. My experience has taught me that atheists tend to be very intelligent, thoughtful people with a high standard of ethics that they carry through to their everyday lives.

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority | NEWS JUNKIE POST

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~hartmann/files/atheist%20as%20the%20other.pdf
Yes I can do my own research and when I googled it I went straight to the junkie post like you did.
Most people I know of are not concerned with atheism. Even the atheist I know of aren't concerned with it; it's a non-issue. There is no way any of them would hang out on religion/philosphy forum day/night. You're dedication as demonstrated by your join date and numerous day/night post along with some of the others has actually strengthened what little faith I had upon coming to city-data because I know you wouldn't have stayed around here so long (unless you're bed-bound) if there wasn't anything to it.

Last edited by gabfest; 10-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: addenum

Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Proverbs 8:35-36

"35For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

36But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death."
Blah, blah blah.

And so comes the white-eye who believes his way is the only way and all must follow it. Never once does he consider that perhaps, just perhaps, the Creator gave a different way to the Indian that is honored. Never once did he even attempt to understand what other cultures believe and maybe find out that we are not so different after all. He quotes from his book about haughty spirits and pride, but I submit that no group of people take greater pride in their religion or display haughtiness like the Fundamentalist Christian. He does not understand words like "Trouble no one about their religion. Respect others in their view and demand that they respect yours." This is a foreign concept to him.

No, I am not quoting some old native leader, but rather myself...a Comanche. The legacy of what your religion did to Indian people, even through the 20th Century, is enough to make me reject it. But Fundamentalists just can't leave well-enough alone, can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality