U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,236,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What exactly are "atheistic values" anyway? I seem to have misplaced my "Book of Atheism" and have been neglecting attendance at the weekly meetings....
Thou shall not wear plaid and stripes together.

Thou shall not drink a good beer from the bottle.

Thou shall not drive slow in the left hand lane.

Thou shall wait one hour after eating before thou swims.

That's what ya missed at the last meeting. We're sending Bill Maher after you if you miss another meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 PM

656 posts, read 904,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. "
My irony-meter's readings are going off the chart right now.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,318,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I vehemently disagree with those who use this argument against LGBT people.

"Oh, I don't hate homosexuals, I just hate the sin of homosexuality."

Sheesh!!! Give me a break.

That's like saying: "I don't hate Jews, I just hate Judaism" or "I don't hate Liberals I just hate Liberalism."

Moderator cut: inappropriate

What is "sin" is defined by your own narrow personal religious beliefs. Do not force your beliefs on me. What you might think is a "sin" may not be a "sin" to me. Having said that, I understand that we do have freedom of speech and expression in this country and you have a right to your opinion.

If eating pork is a sin to you, then don't eat pork. Just don't try to prevent those of us who do eat pork from doing so.
"Hate" might bring up connotations I don't want, but this is close to what I believe. However I pretty much get a long fine with my lesbian cousin. When she visits my Mom, who's even more conservative on homosexuality, they'll happily talk for a good long time. She also has more gay-male friends than I do. When she asked her, very conservative, priest about helping a poor lesbian couple he agreed she should while agreeing they were living in sin. Becoming homeless or whatever wasn't going to make them conform to Catholic teaching, particularly as I don't think they were Catholics.

Some of you are unable, or maybe just unwilling, to separate regular conservative/orthodox Christians living in the world and screaming ninnies on TV. There is a separation. There are plenty of people in this country who despise what Fred Phelps does and would give aid to victims of a "gay-bashing" but nevertheless feel homosexual-sex is a sin. There are people who believe it's wrong to "shack-up", but don't disown their kids for doing it. I seem to recall Melissa Etheridge indicating there was a spectrum on this and trying to understand people like Rick Warren. (It cuts both ways. I think there are gay people who are willing to stay friends or at least stay friendly to people who believe homosexuality is a sin, particularly if the person is elderly, as long as those people aren't "in your face" about their heterosexism)

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,208,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
So... what you are saying is that you wish people would stop being defensive and getting upset with you when point out their "sins" to them?

How about recognizing that not everyone has the same idea of "sin" as you do. How about just loving the human being. Period. Just leave it at that.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM

12,510 posts, read 14,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Aren't you doing the same when you preach atheistic values?
Just because someone doesn't believe in god, and is therefore given/labelled/called the name "athiest" does not mean that all the values they have should now also be called "athiest"....Realistically many denominations carry a lot of the same values...do they not?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM

30,343 posts, read 20,079,830 times
See beyond sin and love your neighbor

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,096,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Proverbs 8:35-36

"35For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

36But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death."

Romans 1

"18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

There is opinion and then there is truth. In the end, all that stands is truth.

2 Thessalonians 2

"7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now restrains will restrains, until he be taken out of the way.

8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. "

You speak a lot of words that have no meaning, at least not to me, but let me speak some words to you that may have some meaning.

Before the white man arrive to make us civilized men, we didn't have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents. Without a prison, there can be no delinquents. We had no locks nor keys and therefore among us there were no thieves. When someone was so poor that he couldn't afford a horse, a tent or a blanket, he would, in that case, receive it all as a gift. We were too uncivilized to give great importance to private property. We didn't know any kind of money and consequently, the value of a human being was not determined by his wealth. We had no written laws laid down, no lawyers, no politicians, therefore we were not able to cheat and swindle one another. We were really in bad shape before the white man arrived and I don't know how to explain how we were able to manage without the fundamental things that (so they tell me) are so necessary for a civilized society.
John (Fire) Lame Deer, Lakota-1903-1976.

We do not want your schools.... They will teach us to have churches. We do not want churches... They will teach us to quarrel about the Creator..... We do not want to learn that.... We might quarrel with men sometimes about things on this earth, but we never quarrel about the Creator... We do not want to learn that.
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

So you see, I can quote great words also, only ours has more meaning.

Last edited by ptsum; 10-14-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 PM

30,043 posts, read 30,793,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes I can do my own research and when I googled it I went straight to the junkie post like you did.
Most people I know of are not concerned with atheism. Even the atheist I know of aren't concerned with it; it's a non-issue. There is no way any of them would hang out on religion/philosphy forum day/night. You're dedication as demonstrated by your join date and numerous day/night post along with some of the others has actually strengthened what little faith I had upon coming to city-data because I know you wouldn't have stayed around here so long (unless you're bed-bound) if there wasn't anything to it.
Your post is personal and completely off topic...I'll ask you what is your view on "hate the sin/ love the sinner?" To nudge you back to what we are supposed to be discussing.

You don't like the answer so you call my first link a junkie post....How about the second link to the research itself...Is that junk too?

You don't know me well enough to criticize my posting habits, but I'll tell you this much...I am retired and have a serious sleep dysfunction, so I come onto city data day or night in order to be entertained by the numerous nut balls and their strange beliefs...It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an atheist.

By the way I must thank you for providing much of that entertainment.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM

12,942 posts, read 18,541,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Thou shall not wear plaid and stripes together.

Thou shall not drink a good beer from the bottle.

Thou shall not drive slow in the left hand lane.

Thou shall wait one hour after eating before thou swims.

That's what ya missed at the last meeting. We're sending Bill Maher after you if you miss another meeting.
Well, that's it. I'm going straight to atheist hell!

No wait... I live in Utah. I'm already there.

BTW someone get that Granny off the road, pass me a REAL beer, tell all those kids to stop peeing in the pool and turn Bill *&#%ing Maher off... No! DON'T SWITCH IT TO GLENN BECK!!!!! AH!!! SAVE ME!!!! I'm Sorry!!!! I promise I'll believe now!! Please god, have mercy!!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,717,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"Hate" might bring up connotations I don't want, but this is close to what I believe.
Hatred & gay-bashing, anyone??

Quote:
However I pretty much get a long fine with my lesbian cousin. When she visits my Mom, who's even more conservative on homosexuality, they'll happily talk for a good long time. She also has more gay-male friends than I do. When she asked her, very conservative, priest about helping a poor lesbian couple he agreed she should while agreeing they were living in sin. Becoming homeless or whatever wasn't going to make them conform to Catholic teaching, particularly as I don't think they were Catholics.

Some of you are unable, or maybe just unwilling, to separate regular conservative/orthodox Christians living in the world and screaming ninnies on TV. There is a separation. There are plenty of people in this country who despise what Fred Phelps does and would give aid to victims of a "gay-bashing..."
YAY! That's compassionate and wonderful.

Quote:
...but nevertheless feel homosexual-sex is a sin.
Oops, I take it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality