Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 PM

91 posts, read 91,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
So who's "in" the world, and who's "of" the world...I don't understand!

everyone is in the world obviously but those who obey God are not of the world. The Lord Jesus said his kingdom is not of this world and the apostle Paul said be ye separated from the world. We, who are righteous, are not like the rest of you in the sense that we obey God and strive toward purity. We dont do things like premarital sex and drugs and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,857,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

On a different issue I imagine this is going to be brought up so I'll head it off. "Hate the sin, love the sinner" is a variant on a phrase from "City of God" by St. Augustine. The specific variant comes from Gandhi, but Augustine is really the originator. His phrasing was "Hate the fault, but love the man." I know the way things work someone is eventually going to say the phrase isn't Christian and is from Gandhi.
Mohandas K. Gandhi* has been famously quoted as saying:

"I like your Christ; it is your Christians I do not like. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

aka "The Mahatma" (Great Soul)

Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,105,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It includes whatever is not of faith too.
The *entire* human race.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,857,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
How dare you mock the word of God. You dont like being told about your sin. Thats your problem. If we didnt care, we wouldnt tell you but we do care. I want to see you saved but it cant happen until you repent and listen to what I am telling you.
As a Buddhist I will mock Anyone I want to, including The Buddha ... who never reproached anyone for mocking Him. I do not believe in "sin." I believe in Karma.

Please don't patronize those of us who do not follow your religion; this is a free country and not a theocracy.

Although throughout history Christians have oppressed, persecuted, tortured, and even killed people who refused to become Christian (including some of my ancestors) you cannot do that in this day and age. We are free to criticize and ridicule any belief system or supernatural being. Get over it.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,313,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If that's how you see that's how you see it. I don't think I've ever even gotten into an argument with a gay guy or lesbian in real life. And it's not like I ask things of others I don't ask of myself.

Nor am I claiming moral perfection on this issue. If in my early-twenties a guy had really came on to me, I have same-sex attractions, I can't be certain what would have happened. I'd guess nothing would have happened as I tended to also ignore the rare women who'd flirt with me, I also have opposite-sex attractions, but maybe there's a chance I'm wrong. I think I'm old enough now, and clear enough on my beliefs and what I want, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But people do make mistakes, stuff happens.

Some with SSA's believe differently than I. Some people only have SSA. People have different beliefs and all about what their situations mean. I'm not going to abandon my beliefs solely because they hurt someone's feelings. (Or even because I get particularly randy or infatuated one day)

On a different issue I imagine this is going to be brought up so I'll head it off. "Hate the sin, love the sinner" is a variant on a phrase from "City of God" by St. Augustine. The specific variant comes from Gandhi, but Augustine is really the originator. His phrasing was "Hate the fault, but love the man." I know the way things work someone is eventually going to say the phrase isn't Christian and is from Gandhi.

Speaking of Augustine.... he sounded like a bit of a misogynistic closet case to me:

Augustine wrote:

"Why was woman created at all?"

"Woman was merely man's helpmate, a function which pertains to her alone. She is not the image of God but as far as man is concerned, he is by himself the image of God."

"I don't see what sort of help woman was created to provide man with, if one excludes procreation. If woman is not given to man for help in bearing children, for what help could she be? To till the earth together? If help were needed for that, man would have been a better help for man. The same goes for comfort in solitude. How much more pleasure is it for life and conversation when two friends live together than when a man and a woman cohabitate?"

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The sin of pride
You mean like when a person assumes they know exactly what God thinks or what God wants?

Last edited by Ceist; 10-15-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
everyone is in the world obviously but those who obey God are not of the world. The Lord Jesus said his kingdom is not of this world and the apostle Paul said be ye separated from the world. We, who are righteous, are not like the rest of you in the sense that we obey God and strive toward purity. We dont do things like premarital sex and drugs and so on.
I wasn't aware that Paul spoke with an olde English accent.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I am IN the world but not of it
I agree with you that you are out of this world.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM

912 posts, read 824,085 times
well....first things first. That news station and network which developed the utube at the beginning of this thread should be fined not for carrying the story but for sending in a low IQ, un-intelligent, stupid, sensation seeking, immature mental case to interview the deranged erroneously self named Christians.

I think the media has a responsibility to create a setting which is in keeping with reasonable intellectual capabilities.

If I was the chief of police , I would send out a letter to all of these so called Christian homes and advice that services are no longer available as, if there is an attack on your household, it is what God wants and theres absolutely nothing we can do about it....if the householder decides to defend using violence....he or she will be thrown into jail and the key will be tossed over a bridge.

Second...that leader of the church is propagating hatred and should be picked up, charged and tossed into prison. 10 yrs, no parole, intentional corruption, mutiny...whatever...who cares ..I'm not an FBI guy...

third...the network should be forced to go back and do proper interviews with someone who has the character power and intellect to embarrass the living () out of these jerks on national TV...

fourth...include bribery to set these people up on TV, just like that car mechanic show..

....authorities entirely compelled to put a team together which would include media exposure and stiff penalties for what is........no more than another
KKK.....no doubt about it.....just getting high speed about 6 weeks ago and not a TV watcher , I had no idea of this serious and disturbing problem....

And you know u guys, quite a bit here has to do with a need to hate something and how or what is that always connected to....you guessed it..
MONEY...
Order must be taken seriously, its time to get tough on rules with the hillbillies. They have been brainwashed....anti brain washing measures are required without delay. The message is clearly anti-peace which contradicts the Belief system they use as a tool to vent, virtually vommitting their disdain for lack of expected comfort all over the balance of society. I don't see
any porches, caddys, ect ect hanging around...maybe the leader, anyway this crapola has got to go...structure and order are needed for economic recovery

Last edited by Blue Hue; 10-15-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM

91 posts, read 91,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So... what you are saying is that you wish people would stop being defensive and getting upset with you when point out their "sins" to them?

How about recognizing that not everyone has the same idea of "sin" as you do. How about just loving the human being. Period. Just leave it at that.

I do love them. If I didnt, I wouldnt bother to tell them they live in sin. The concept of sin is not relative. The bible tells us what is sin. If you read it, you will find the same words in it that I find in it. Stop playing these games and just obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality