U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM
 
4,480 posts, read 4,234,432 times
Reputation: 3986

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
The sin of pride
Sin is a construct. It does not exist for those that reject the idea. My "pride" in myself and my family is not something I need to repent. If your god existed and would not accept me for the person I am and the life I've lead to this point then he is not worthy of me. And you are a fool to worship such a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 PM
 
17,853 posts, read 11,809,055 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way.
When you are told that you yourself are missing the mark of Jesus Christ's teaching by arrogantly and pridefully going around telling everyone else how they are sinning, perhaps you need to stop being so defensive? It's constructive criticism and perhaps God is using others to show you the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,335 posts, read 20,066,943 times
Reputation: 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why do so many people who call themselves Christians, act like they are Pharisees?
Because the true message of Christianity "love your neighbor as yourself" got put on the back burner,and it reverted to the same attitude of the Pharisee towards it's neighbor by viewing them as sinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,309,564 times
Reputation: 6657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are more babies born to single females in the bible belt than any other place in America, and your prisons are full of Christian drug offenders....EPIC FAIL!
Maybe he's Lutheran. Well probably not, but the areas high in conservative Lutheranism (LCMS, WELS, Laestadians) I think are fairly low or average in these issues.

The Bible Belt is largely poor, poor people tend to go to prison for drug offenses more. Also conservative Christian single-females, including the conservative Lutherans I named, tend to be less likely to abort than a secular single female. The states with the lowest reported abortion rates appear to be Idaho, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Dakota, and West Virginia. Louisiana and South Carolina also among the lowest.

Abortion Rate - Kaiser State Health Facts

Although I think the person was likely speaking of an ideal. Christian ideals are against pre-marital sex and drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,043 posts, read 30,774,490 times
Reputation: 12223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe he's Lutheran. Well probably not, but the areas high in conservative Lutheranism (LCMS, WELS, Laestadians) I think are fairly low or average in these issues.

The Bible Belt is largely poor, poor people tend to go to prison for drug offenses more. Also conservative Christian single-females, including the conservative Lutherans I named, tend to be less likely to abort than a secular single female. The states with the lowest reported abortion rates appear to be Idaho, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Dakota, and West Virginia. Louisiana and South Carolina also among the lowest.

Abortion Rate - Kaiser State Health Facts

Although I think the person was likely speaking of an ideal. Christian ideals are against pre-marital sex and drug use.
How do abortion rates negate pre marital sex?

Yes, I understand Christian ideals, but when these ideals are so poorly followed most people would call them hypocrites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
 
91 posts, read 80,686 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Could you please show us where in the Bible it says "Do not do drugs"?

The bible says your body is the temple of the holy ghost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
 
91 posts, read 80,686 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
When you are told that you yourself are missing the mark of Jesus Christ's teaching by arrogantly and pridefully going around telling everyone else how they are sinning, perhaps you need to stop being so defensive? It's constructive criticism and perhaps God is using others to show you the right way.

How dare you speak such blasphemy. Oh so because I obey the word of God and you dont, you want to rail at me. Well you are really railing at God and your day of recompense is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 01:44 PM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,079,250 times
Reputation: 2972
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
How dare you mock the word of God.
I am unsure as to why I should not mock these words. Firstly, they are only words. Words do not need protection from mockery nor offence. Secondly, you have consistently abstained from providing a shred of even a scrap of evidence, argument, data or reasons to suggest there even IS a god.

And much of the ideas do compel mockery. The idea that a god came to earth in order to impregnate an under age girl so it could make that girl give birth to itself? Come now, what is not to mock in that? Or the catholic idea that crackers become magical if you say latin at them? Puhleese. These ideas are comedy.... how can one not laugh at them???

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
You dont like being told about your sin.
False, I could not care less what you say. What does bother me however is when you are being judgemental about other people, you pretend there is an invisible god who is actually doing the judging and you are but a messanger.

This is fairy stories. The real fact is when you go around telling people what you think is "sinful" about them.... it is just your opinion, your biases, your judgemental nature. You just hide behind an imaginary god head to pretend this is not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM
 
912 posts, read 698,919 times
Reputation: 115
I'm starting to wonder if basic intelligence-perception abilities are causing many problems with all the translations in life issues. Religion is a life issue and some seem to get entirely lost or consumed without analyzing or reflecting any solid meaning. Those utubes at the beginning of this thread show a family who actually kicked their daughter out of their home for asking simple innocent questions. This is worse than the animal in behavior.

Absolute cruelty for reasoning is entirely anti-life and an insult to unity. I think man may be evolving and is clearly showing the crude being properly left behind. Thoughtlessness is ancient and not privy to any religion and a sure sign of a weak consciousness -intelligence more similar to a fearful animal.

Man is evolving, communication will expose the weak who refuse to grow. There will inevitably be some kind of separation. Apparently the different levels of early man were able to live in harmony. Somehow an elite will surface out of the reckless dumb, leaving the unable properly out of the way and somewhat temporally contained in there own little area.....you think its reaching ?......well what do you think prisons are for, to get on with the human program, that means,
learning, growing and putting animals where they actually want to be, within a restricted barrior. They are crying out for segregation by their dis-approval of all the sinners...let em have it...we'll take the so called rejects
give it about 1000 yrs...gauranteed segregation

the whole idea in hate the sin love the sinner is supposed to be an acceptance in part to avoid harboring sheer ill-will. theres also a responsibility to effect reasonable non-tolerance....the key is reason in approach....if someone rips you off,you don't go out and buy the guy a present, you sue the slob so that respect for life is shown to matter ect. stomping up and down calling someone a sinner is stupid...its the ill-will that eats at the giver, not the reciever...reason is the boss....loving a
rude neighbor is ignoring the personality that is rude...the rudeness is not recognized..if he or she is 100% rude..ignore 100%....50% rude, ignore 50%.. common sense is what its all about

this has worked quite well with me and the neighbor learns quite quickly, always looking for that joyful, praising quality BH has available for the good....example is powerful, so is praise

Last edited by Blue Hue; 10-16-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
2,705 posts, read 2,513,872 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Could you please show us where in the Bible it says "Do not do drugs"?
Sobriety is a virtue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top