Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
See beyond sin and love your neighbor
Easier said then done. But why is it so hard to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Easier said then done. But why is it so hard to do this?
By acknowledging that is how God see's. The only reason it is difficult is because we are taught that God see's sin and that he's a fault finder.

Lord if you MARKED our transgressions who would stand(this includes the sin of Christians too)

Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
By acknowledging that is how God see's. The only reason it is difficult is because we are taught that God see's sin and that he's a fault finder.

Lord if you MARKED our transgressions who would stand(this includes the sin of Christians too)
It includes the sins of the entire human race.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It includes the sins of the entire human race.
It includes whatever is not of faith too.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Hatred & gay-bashing, anyone??
If that's how you see that's how you see it. I don't think I've ever even gotten into an argument with a gay guy or lesbian in real life. And it's not like I ask things of others I don't ask of myself.

Nor am I claiming moral perfection on this issue. If in my early-twenties a guy had really came on to me, I have same-sex attractions, I can't be certain what would have happened. I'd guess nothing would have happened as I tended to also ignore the rare women who'd flirt with me, I also have opposite-sex attractions, but maybe there's a chance I'm wrong. I think I'm old enough now, and clear enough on my beliefs and what I want, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But people do make mistakes, stuff happens.

Some with SSA's believe differently than I. Some people only have SSA. People have different beliefs and all about what their situations mean. I'm not going to abandon my beliefs solely because they hurt someone's feelings. (Or even because I get particularly randy or infatuated one day)

On a different issue I imagine this is going to be brought up so I'll head it off. "Hate the sin, love the sinner" is a variant on a phrase from "City of God" by St. Augustine. The specific variant comes from Gandhi, but Augustine is really the originator. His phrasing was "Hate the fault, but love the man." I know the way things work someone is eventually going to say the phrase isn't Christian and is from Gandhi.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
This is no different than if I told you you are living as a slave. You shouldn't get angry and defensive about it because I am only giving you constructive criticism. I would be telling you it because I have compassion for you and don't want you to spend your days as a serf.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM

91 posts, read 92,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Good thing I am absolutely free of "sin" of any kind. I've never stolen anything. I've never killed anybody. I've never hurt another human being that was not in self defense or in defense of another. I've never bettered myself off of another's misfortune. What do I need to repent? Other than logical thinking.

Jesus died almost 2000 years before my birth. What sin could I have committed?

"God is using his servants to show them the right way." - You mean your way.

The sin of pride

Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
This is advice many of your theist friends should take on a similar subject.

I have a similar slogan to yours. It goes "Attack the idea, not the person".

As such when I tell people a certain idea, such as the belief there is a god, is a bad or stupid idea... I am only talking about the idea. I am not calling the holder of the idea bad or stupid.

To use your words:

"I strive to be touch on bad ideas while being compassionate to the holder of those ideas. When they are told they are wrong, they need to stop being so defensive."

However given the lack of any evidence for a god there is one gaping hole in your quote above. That is that it is YOU judging the actions of others and commenting on it, not any god. You might be hiding behind your idea of a god and placing the blame for being judgemental on it... but at the end of the day it is you standing there, you doing the judging, and you doing the talking. So do not be surprised when people become offended with you or play this "I am just the messanger" card. It is you bestowing your judgements on people, then inventing a god to lend weight to what is essentially just your opinion.
How dare you mock the word of God. You dont like being told about your sin. Thats your problem. If we didnt care, we wouldnt tell you but we do care. I want to see you saved but it cant happen until you repent and listen to what I am telling you.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Are you not "of the world"???Many men and women have died protecting others, and yes...that is a great love.....I'm thinking that by "sinner" you mean those who don't believe in god.....and that in my opinion should be between them and your god....not you...by judging others you yourself are a sinner...don't you think??

I am IN the world but not of it

Old 10-15-2011, 04:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
So who's "in" the world, and who's "of" the world...I don't understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality