Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,286,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
Is that why you "can't stand to be around gays" and why they "make your skin crawl"?

That's some love, right there!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Aren't you doing the same when you preach atheistic values?

There are no such things as "atheistic values".

Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,451,212 times
Quote:
No, my user name "Acts 2 Christian" is based on Acts 2 and the day of pentecost when they spake in tongues as the spirit gave them utterance.
......oooooooOOOOOOOOKaaaaaaaaaaay....... loonier than I first thought

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM

912 posts, read 825,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't know him/her so I don't know their motivation. But to try to explain it in secular terms there can be a certain catharsis in reflecting on one's faults, desiring or even begging for forgiveness, and trying to make amends. Or something.

Maybe that's not the best effort, no analogy is going to be exact, but it's the best I think I can do at this hour.
I ran into a 21 yr old while at work who wanted to talk about God 24-7. He was from a small town equiped with a strick as well tight Christian grouping.

The entire nature of God was 90% wrath. No matter what I said , showed in contradictory theme, the wrath nature of God was how he knew God to be...there was no other comprehension due to how Christianity was introduced to the individual...the reflective idea in self participation, society, psychological implications of life, cause and effect,intimacy ect ect...were not part of the association and understandings of a God. God was entirely known as a judge ready to convict only.

I think individuals who are introduced this way find it un-orthodoxed to actually consider a god idea of peace in focus...there exists a perpetual guilt related shame association...then we have the extension of that shame, as guilt and shame is what is known, and what is available to share.
( without any suggested assumption in like....re any CD member...obviously, simply commenting on the God of all wrath idea

Last edited by Blue Hue; 10-20-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,484,614 times
Yeah I don't really have that wrathful/angry vision. I do think God judges though and that shame/guilt are valuable in being a decent person.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
...I attack the sin, whereas you attack me as a person...

I find this odd coming from someone that admitted he cannot stand to be in the presence of homosexuals and that they make his/her "skin crawl".

Doesn't sound like attacking the sin to me - unless you were speaking of situations where homosexual sex was taking place in your presence?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,110,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah I don't really have that wrathful/angry vision. I do think God judges though and that shame/guilt are valuable in being a decent person.
Some people cannot experience shame or guilt, and thus will never be decent people.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,110,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
There are no such things as "atheistic values".
Do you realize what you just said?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,484,614 times
I think what he/she means is that atheism does not have any values in itself. Atheism is a description of what one isn't, not what one is.

Not that atheists have no values. They just get their values from what they do believe rather than from what they don't.

Atheism, in itself, is just not very interesting or worth discussing because it's a position on one issue. A crucial issue for many of us, but still just one issue. (Although I think most atheists here are Rationalists and Metaphysical Naturalists which gives a bit more to discuss)

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Do you realize what you just said?

I absolutely do. I wonder if you realize what I said.

Atheists have no necessary consensus of values or morality, despite how much theists would like to imply we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality