Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM

91 posts, read 92,281 times

Advertisements

those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Being tough on sinners?

Westboro Baptist Church - YouTube

Westboro Baptist Church Reno soldier fu (the actual protest) - YouTube

Funeral Protests - YouTube

Westboro Baptist Church family disowns daughter

Confrontational Evangelists at Kennesaw State University- Hateful Judgemental "Christians" - YouTube

I'm pretty sure god would actually consider this kind of behavior as being a first class Moderator cut: deleted hat...certainly NO doing "his will".

Last edited by june 7th; 10-14-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
those who are of the world wont understand this but we do love and care for them. We would that they all come to Jesus. He died for them. What greater love is there than that. However, God must punish sin. I strive to be tough on sin while being compassionate to the sinner. When they are told they are in sin, they need to stop being so defensive. It is constructive criticism and God is using his servants to show them the right way. I long for the day when more people will listen and repent of their sins
hate the sin,love the sinner,yeah right, tell that to the hundreds of thousands of Native Americans whose lives were taken under those very words. Those very words were used for any reason to try to eradicate the Native Americans and their cultural beliefs and Christian evangelist were the biggest perpetrators of that genocide. Christian evangelists speak with a forked tongue, just like a snake.

Last edited by ptsum; 10-13-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Having read and heard more than my share from Christians of all stripes, and having been educated in Catholic schools for twelve years, I doubt the sincerity of anyone who claims that this is what they believe and how they act.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
all of them are descendants of theist pagans, it is easy to understand why they are they way they are. They wish to give blame to something other than themselves for their believes and actions.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
I vehemently disagree with those who use this argument against LGBT people.

"Oh, I don't hate homosexuals, I just hate the sin of homosexuality."

Sheesh!!! Give me a break.

That's like saying: "I don't hate Jews, I just hate Judaism" or "I don't hate Liberals I just hate Liberalism."

Moderator cut: inappropriate

What is "sin" is defined by your own narrow personal religious beliefs. Do not force your beliefs on me. What you might think is a "sin" may not be a "sin" to me. Having said that, I understand that we do have freedom of speech and expression in this country and you have a right to your opinion.

If eating pork is a sin to you, then don't eat pork. Just don't try to prevent those of us who do eat pork from doing so.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-14-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Hmmm...hate the sin,love the sinner. How about mind you own damn business and focus on your own short-comings?

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
We're all sinnners. Most of us Christians understand that and realize that it's not our job to judge others, as none of us lead lives without sin. Christ spent vast amounts of time living among sinners -- thieves, prostitutes, liars, etc. and showed them compassion rather than judgment. Those who shun or condemn others based on their sin or lifestyle are hypocrites by giving their own sins a pass. That doesn't mean there isn't a loud minority of Christians that make the rest of us look like hateful bigots. We despise the Westboro Baptists. They're not Christians, they're a hate group masquerading as Christians.

Consider that there are several billion followers of the Bible on this planet; 225 million in the United States alone. If Christians as a whole were the threat we're made out to be, the United States would be a full Theocracy. The truth is that most Christians are normal, average people. The vocal minority of rabid, judgmental Evangelicals do not represent mainstream Christianity and in fact, their behavior defies the will of God and the teachings of the Bible. We're instructed to love our neighbors, not judge and shun them.

Some use the Bible to justify their hatred against homosexuals or minorities, but they're just bigots hiding behind the Bible. God loves everyone regardless of their sin and we're expected to do the same. Easier said than done in many instances (it's hard to show compassion for a child molester or thief), but that's part of the challenge. We're not perfect, and we're not expected to be, but we can always strive to lead a better life.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
hate the sin, love the sinner
Easier said than done, but that is the point! Jesus was considered a radical teacher because his teachings were designed to go totally against the grain of human nature. And who would understand human nature better than God Himself? I don't think I could compartmentalize my thoughts & emotions like that.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
hate the sin, love the sinner
It's funny how the bible beaters that keep saying that express it by telling the individual "you're an abomination, and you're going to burn in hell"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality