U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,254,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Today's Baptists came from the Anabaptists who go back to well before the Protestant reformation.
That's one theory, but I'm fairly mainstream in my historical study/degree so I don't believe that theory. From mainstream history as I know it the Anabaptists were a more "radical" element within the Reformation. They led to the Amish, Hutterites, Mennonites, and such. Possibly they relate to groups like the Hussites, which would make them pre-Reformation, but generally they are seen as starting in the early sixteenth century.

Baptists, in the way Cain is Baptist, descend from Anglican dissenters influenced by the Anabaptists.

I suppose in a technical sense any group that opposed "infant baptism" could be Anabaptist and therefore ancestral/influential to Baptists, but generally the idea of Baptists descending from a series of groups long predating the Reformation is not mainstream. It's more about faith than solid historiography. Not sure that's what you even mean understand, you might just mean Baptists descend from Hus, but just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM

1,602 posts, read 2,633,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Today's Baptists came from the Anabaptists who go back to well before the Protestant reformation.
Baptist's were 'Anabaptists'? Please clearify that for me, this is the first time I heard this. I grew up as a Brethern. The Amish, Mininites, and Brethern were Anabaptists but I never heard that Baptists were. Actually I'm curious, sinse I grew up as an 'Anabaptist' (Brethern), what does Anabaptist mean?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,526,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
what does Anabaptist mean?
Essentialy it means to be baptized again. For example, if you were baptized as an infant, you would need to be baptized again as an adult after reaching the age of reasoned decision making. This is not the same as the present day Primitive Baptist requirement to be re-baptized if you were baptized in another denomination.

BTW, I have friends among the Brethren in India and Nepal.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM

690 posts, read 395,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why does it matter? Religion should have no place in politics.
you're right! religion shouldn't, but many believers are into politics. many who claim to totally follow Jesus,really don't! because their governments means more to them then even Jesus. his Father's word,(Jehovah God), lol... shows we shouldn't put trust in the governments, i don't!

(1).Psa.2:2-4 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands, (something that binds or restraints),asunder, and cast away their cords from us. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision, (the use of ridicule to show contempt ).the government will go up against God and his people.

(2).Psa.118:9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes. (back then, they didn't use the word "president, same difference)! see (Psa.146:3)

(3). soon there WON'T be ANY earthly rulers/governments, (Dan.2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever).

many saying lord,lord,still wants to straddle the fence. peace

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,151,064 times
I am proud to announce that the first recorded person with my last name, was an Anabaptist preacher who was beheaded in Europe. I prefer not to give anymore details - just to throw that out as one of those embarassing things in one's geneaology lol!

It's still kind of cool, though...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,151,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Baptist's were 'Anabaptists'? Please clearify that for me, this is the first time I heard this. I grew up as a Brethern. The Amish, Mininites, and Brethern were Anabaptists but I never heard that Baptists were. Actually I'm curious, sinse I grew up as an 'Anabaptist' (Brethern), what does Anabaptist mean?
Wikipedia has a very quick rundown on the relationship between Anabaptists and Baptists. I stole this picture from there:

Oo - those saucy Anabaptist ladies! Such immodesty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality