U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,274,836 times

Advertisements

If I were in a foxhole and invoked the name of god, it would be "what gawd-damned idiot started this war over the raging stupidity of gods?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I can only answer for myself...I have MUCH less stress since I was "saved"....for some reason it seemed that the weight of the world's problems and everyday life were instantly removed from my shoulders when I accepted Christ as my Saviour...I still sweat the really small things occasionally,but the big ones do not bother me now...sickness,death,dying etc hold zero fear for me now.
It's called self-delusion; nothing has changed, you simply occupy your throughts with delusional thoughts, vs. facing reality head on.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 PM

30,040 posts, read 30,723,387 times
Yup, avoiding reality ( putting your problems in god's hands ) is a great way to avoid stress, but you are deluding yourself. Reality still remains and will eventually kick you in the butt...

Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,162,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
As atheists, they would not have to worry much. They can do what they please. Wouldn't that mean, they are less stressed than christians? Christians are worried about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle, it can be stressful (emotionally).
Geez, if we are - then I really should never become Christian! I stress out about things way too easily as it is!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,610,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm not self-threatening by believing in the absurd threats of ancient superstition, yet many a fool has tried to convenience me that I should.
You are self-harming by consuming yourself in fighting against the beliefs of others. I understand that the way some view God is screwed up, but some views we all have are screwed up. Nobody's perfect - including you. If you're going to fight - fight for something, not against something. What have you got in exchange for the hope that many find in believing in a higher power?

BTW - I'd still like a personal response of what you think of....
People believe in God... For the same reason you choose to pretend along with a fantasy novel, or film... or you choose to take an "escape" vacation.

Why define God as an unpleasant, spiteful, vengeful, egomaniac burden?
I agree that as we imagine, or think of God... so God seems to be.
So why not imagine God to be something positive - like "the force" that inspires people to go beyond their normal "goodness"?
Quote:
...I was sent to a parochial school, for the education, and did hear all the fairy tales, and even then recognizing how absurd all of religion and it's deities are.
So, your parents sent you to a parochial school - that explains some things.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 10-16-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Raghunathan's article provides his personal opinions without going through the pesky exercise of providing supporting evidence. He declares that atheism is "a luxury" that results from having a "comfortable life."
Yeah, it's his oppinion. So, are most posts on this forum not oppinion?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
That very first link points out that "There are no atheists in foxholes" is an aphorism, not meant to be taken as an absolute. Besides, he did also say "generally", also saying it's not taken to be an absolute. All it means is that during times of stress or fear, people turn to God more than they would during times of calm and peace.

Personally, I do agree that a "hard atheist" would still be an atheist if he was in a foxhole, literally or metaphorically. But I also think that many "soft atheists" or agnostics would turn to God in such situations, though there's also the possibility that they'd turn away from God, blaming Him for their situation. Though I think "turning to" is more common in these situations than "turning from". I could be wrong.
Good points.
It all depends on attitude - both for Atheists & Christians.
If a Christian focuses on & finds comfort & inspiration in the core doctrine - "the greatest of all commandments... to love God & others as oneself" - then I'd consider their approach less stressful.
If one finds comfort & inspiration in considering others' views & then spending their precious time rejecting them... so be it. But I admit, I find it difficult to understand how one could focus so much energy hypocritically fighting against illusion, & not be stressed.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
You are self-harming by consuming yourself in fighting against the beliefs of others.
It's called self-defense against the willful stupidity of others. I don't care what you believe or don't UNTIL you decide that the absurdities of your belief should impact my life in any.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,819,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's called self-delusion; nothing has changed, you simply occupy your throughts with delusional thoughts, vs. facing reality head on.
I'll take it then and so will the folks around me...if it's delusional or not,the reality is I'm a lot nicer to others than I was before

Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,278,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, you can't.
The Romans kept very good records.
For an ancient people, but really I'm not sure there's evidence they were that much better at keeping records than the Chinese. Maybe no better. And the Han Dynasty's descriptions of peasant religious movements, the Han being contemporaneous to this era of *Rome, are sometimes meager or confused.

Do you think the "Romans kept very good records" of non-militaristic religious movements of colonized people? If so support the claim, don't just assert as an "everyone knows" affair.

*Technically Jesus's life is more within the relatively brief period called the Xin or the "Wang Mang Usurpation" that breaks up the Han into two dynasties. However the Chinese society of the first c. AD is essentially Han. Wang Mang is kind of a fascinating figure, but more appropriate to the history section. I may do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality