Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:51 PM

307 posts, read 269,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hmmm. To which "problems and difficulties": do you refer? I'm insulted again, by that particularly egregious and arrogant Christian perspective that we atheists generally live a sinful life, one absent any moral standards, and that our problems could have been so easily avoided if we'd only become Christians!

Respectfully; RUBBISH!.
Huh? What the heck are you referring to? I never said anything about atheists generally living a sinful life, so I don't know where you're getting this from. I only said that getting caught up in a sinful lifestyle creates problems, and that avoiding these problems makes your life less stressful. That goes for everyone, even atheists. When did I say, or suggest, that atheists live a sinful life? Are you simply assuming that this is what I was trying to say, or something?

Quote:
Even if we atheists possibly suffer from more stress, we are at least being honest with ourselves at the most basic intellectual levels.
Wow. So you're saying that anyone who believes in Jesus is being dishonest with themselves? That's mighty arrogant of you. And also completely 100% wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Wow. So you're saying that anyone who believes in Jesus is being dishonest with themselves? That's mighty arrogant of you. And also completely 100% wrong.
Until there is evidence that the character Jesus actually existed, let alone was some kind of god, then yes you are operating on faith... The faith that what you have been told is true...Faith is not a position of honesty... I think many are being dishonest with themselves.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
As atheists, they would not have to worry much. They can do what they please. Wouldn't that mean, they are less stressed than christians? Christians are worried about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle, it can be stressful (emotionally).
a christian would only have stress when it comes to following Jesus and doing the will of his Father,(Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother). IF they're STILL wanting to be part of satan's world, (1John 2:15,16- Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world).

the truth is, many christians, or those who think they have a first class ticked to Heaven, are guilty of this. many sits up in their place of worship yelling..."hallelujah" , preaching to the non-believers that they're going to burn in hell. not even realizing,or... refuse to realize. IF there was a "hellfire", they would be the first in line. i'm sure there are many atheist in high places ,who puts on that ..."i'm a believer of God" face. but for the most part,there are many christians who either hides in the closet with their little secrets,( as though God couldn't see them). or just don't care what others see. because the believe once saved,always saved,no matter what they do....wrong!

i don't feel stressed because i'm trying to serve Jehovah God,and follow Jesus teachings. again i said "TRY" , because many act as though they didn't get the main point i'm making. i have my battles, but my battles isn't because i can't let go of what the world has to offer. be-it old friends who still wants to club, sleep around, etc. and i don't care what society, friends ,and family thinks of me. it's not hard for me ,because those were never my things.

i know when man ,(meaning humans), turn on me, Jehovah won't. i also know if i'm trying to live in a way pleasing to him, even if i slip. he will forgive me when i go to him in Jesus name. also why would i want to follow,worship, or celebrate the ways of the world with a bunch of imperfect humans that refuse to save their own lives ,not to mention saving mine. one imperfect being is enough for me to handle,which is myself. this is why i never told an atheist,he's going to burn, or make. i can't even guarantee myself that i'll make it.

what many christians refuse to believe because of what they have been taught, (i was at one time a believer of such). those same non-believers tell say are going to hell. if or when they die, won't! , because Jesus died so that we may live. so they WON'T be in any helfire, Jehovah God's word says once we die, we are free from our sins. (Rom.-6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord). And (Rom.6:7 -For he that is dead is freed from sin).

some will say,yeah!.. because once you're dead, you CAN'T sin anymore, that's what this mean! i can understand why some would feel this way.
but what many refuse to see is the key points of God's word..." dead is freed from sin" what kind of God, IF he's a loving and Just Father. turns around and say,...yeah i know i said once you're dead, you're free from your sins. but while you were alive...you sinned!, it makes no since to teach he sends the dead to a hellfire.

either way. the stress many christians have is because they refuse to give up the world. yet they want blessing from...Jesus. Jesus if he was giving that power to do so, even while he's in Heaven, wouldn't!, any who THINK they can get away with trying to straddle the fence. that goes for me ,and anyone else who say they serve Jehovah and follow Jesus better hope we won't live to see the end. peace

Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Until there is evidence that the character Jesus actually existed, let alone was some kind of god, then yes you are operating on faith...
We have about fifty different authors, both Christians and non-Christians, who wrote about Jesus within a century and a half of his time. That's more than we have for all but maybe a handful of ancient historical characters. Do we "know" that Jesus existed? In the same sense that we "know" that, say, Hannibal existed, yes. Hypothetically, either one of them could have been a fictional character, but we have absolutely no evidence that they were fictional, and mounds of evidence that they existed.

Quote:
The faith that what you have been told is true...Faith is not a position of honesty... I think many are being dishonest with themselves.
I don't see how "going where the evidence points" is a position of dishonesty.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
As atheists, they would not have to worry much. They can do what they please. Wouldn't that mean, they are less stressed than christians? Christians are worried about doing what's right and maintaining a good lifestyle, it can be stressful (emotionally).

The research is has pretty much come to the conclusion that religious people are more happy than atheists. The reasearch has moved on into asking why people who attend religious services once a week are happer than those who never attend:

Why Are Religious People Happier? : Discovery News

Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The research is has pretty much come to the conclusion that religious people are more happy than atheists. The reasearch has moved on into asking why people who attend religious services once a week are happer than those who never attend:

Why Are Religious People Happier? : Discovery News
From the article:
Quote:
It's not their spirituality, belief in heaven, or even the ritual act of praying or going to a house of worship that leads the pious to happiness. Rather, the study found, it's the close friends people gain through their religions that makes a difference.
That's interesting for me personally, since all of my local "real life" friends are non-Christians, atheists or agnostics. All of my Christian friends either live out of state, or are people I only know online.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
angry atheists no. calm spiritually poised atheists, ubetcha.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:46 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Quote:
We're stressed out because we live in a society where people discriminate and kill because of a myth. Do you know what it's like to be a minority amongst a majority? It freaking sucks.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Even if we atheists possibly suffer from more stress, we are at least being honest with ourselves at the most basic intellectual levels. Me, I'd rather deal with that realist's perspective than artificially fall back on a fantasy solution. IMHO.
Life is probably more stressful for atheists than theists in the same way that being a grown up is more stressful than being a child. Reality is stressful sometimes.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
[quote=KingDavid8;21299261]We have about fifty different authors, both Christians and non-Christians, who wrote about Jesus within a century and a half of his time. That's more than we have for all but maybe a handful of ancient historical characters. Do we "know" that Jesus existed? In the same sense that we "know" that, say, Hannibal existed, yes. Hypothetically, either one of them could have been a fictional character, but we have absolutely no evidence that they were fictional, and mounds of evidence that they existed.

Other than what is written in your sacred book or any sacred book, what evidence do you have and are willing to produce that your Jesus even existed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality