Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I So yes I do think that any organization that provides services to low income groups is to be made out to be a hero...because there aren't too many others out there jumping in to do the same.
Catholic Charities actually provides more services and aide to the poor and needy in the US, only next to the Federal Governemt.

This should be reason enough, for you, a catholic, to defend Catholic Charities as an organization, instead of PP.

Then again, Catholic Charites doesn't provide for (or refer for) the choice of the destruction of human life in utero.

Last edited by beth ann; 08-27-2007 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I agree that Churches do provide a lot of relief and aid to the poor but imagine what the Catholic Church ( for example as it is the riches by far) cold achieve by just giving up all its assets ? How can any organisation which follows Jesus , actually be one of the wealthiest ones in the world. It seems a bit obscene to me. God does not need Cathedrals, Artistic masterpieces, and money. You can worship god anywhere. That money should just be spent on the poor surely. Billions of dollars would certainly help to not only relieve poverty but eradicate it too for the long term. Why does a Church need any assets ?
As an atheist I don't get it. It seems to me all the accumulated wealth of Churches is not for the glory of god but the glory of man. Two thousand years of politics and power play are why the church is so powerful. It has very little to do with following god, or Christ...
God should be within you whether you have a Vatican city, and earthly treasures...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
No I didn't miss the point....those people who would refer to pro-choice as pro-abortion have missed the point and that was my point.
I agree - and would add, furthermore, that I am pro-life & support a person's right to choose. The religious right doesn't get exclusive access to the term "pro-life".

As an aside, I do find it very interesting that a great percentage of those who consider themselves "pro-life" are also those who are for the death penalty - which I find to be the greatest contradiction of all.

But, that's a bit off topic, sorry.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Don't mean to sound arrogant.....but, I'm fairly certain I know a little more than most on the abortion issue.....including the facts about Planned Parenthood.

PP has a nice marketing package.....but, everything I've stated here I stand by because I know it as fact, not emotion.
I am 52, and I've used Planned Parenthood's services since I was 17 years old.
They still offer women's health services to oldsters such as myself, who have grown children.
During all the years I used PP, the clinic workers were warm yet professional. They educate, but do not coerce. They deal with women's day to day issues of staying healthy because they are in the business of "planned" parenthood.
I did not quit going to PP until I moved out of Colorado.

I am sure that many Catholic Charities organizations do fine work, and keep their books in shipshape order--especially during the past several years, with all of the sex abuse lawsuits, and the payouts of millions upon millions of dollars, which have been quite a pesky thorn in the Church's side.

Planned Parenthood has had public relations issues of its own. It has been interesting watching all of the presidential candidates tiptoeing around the donation reports.
However, as Momtofour else said, abortion would have happened with or without Sanger, and it is the same with Planned Parenthood.
I will leave it up to y'all to ponder how much pleasure is involved.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
Actually I think th eterm pro-abortion is acurate, as I believe there are in fact many who would rather a baby aborted thyan born for all sorts of reasons. Sad but true.

I happen to know someone who went to Planned Parenthood to confirm a pregnancy, She was young and unmarried.This was an unexpected pregnancy. Planned Parenthood ENCOURAGED HER TO HAVE AN ABORTION!! She went there for a pregnancy test, and was encouraged to abort the baby! They ARE in the business of abortion, and they do encourage it, and they are in fact PRO-ABORTION.
Of course I cannot speak to your experiences only to what I know to be true. While I personally have only been pregnant once & have a 19 year old son, I have had the unfortunate opportunity to make many trips to Planned Parenthood (& agencies like it) - for others facing possible pregnancy & the decisions that accompany them, & twice for myself: once when I thought my protection may not have worked & the last time to simply get an IUD inserted.

Of all the times I have been at these agencies I have never experienced a single person encouraging a woman to have an abortion. Obviously no place is perfect, it could happen, but I just don't believe that, by & large this is actually the case.

I found that they give excellent & thorough counseling on ALL possible choices & they encourage women to consider how they will avoid this situation in the future. They even discuss abstinence as an option. In the end, for those who opt for the abortion, they enforce a waiting period... encourage the women to talk to someone they are close to before making the final decision... and again encourage them to begin making a plan for how to avoid this same thing again.

I respect the work they do & under the conditions they do it.

That's my 50 cents...

Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Catholic Charities actually provides more services and aide to the poor and needy in the US, only next to the Federal Governemt.

This should be reason enough, for you, a catholic, to defend Catholic Charities as an organization, instead of PP.

Then again, Catholic Charites doesn't provide for (or refer for) the choice of the destruction of human life in utero.
Or birth control.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
What about the baby who is forcefully deprived of arms, legs , and then his or her head. Pregnancy isn't always sweet, giving birth is painful but it is in no means worse then getting your body parts cut off. The right of the child to live should be more important than the mother's right to be comfortable.
If you honestly think that the alternative to abortion is always better than the reality of it - I think you are naive. We can say that these women should then give those babies up for adoption - but, truth is that we can't make them & most likely they wouldn't or this discussion would be mute.

I happen to have a fairly close family member who has 4 children by 3 different men. None of them are around & none of them pay child support. She has had another 6 or 7 pregnancies over the years & I'll be plainly honest. She was my first wake up call back to the belief in "choice".

I don't believe that abortion should be used as birth control. But, more than that, I don't believe that these poor innocent children should be left to suffer with their neurotic, self-absorbed, irresponsible mothers, either. That was harsh, but I feel that way when I see one woman constantly getting pregnant & doing nothing to prevent it. It drives me crazy. Hell, I had one pregnancy scare & was either going to have my tubes removed, uterus plucked, or (as it turned out) an IUD implanted.

Those people who are not capable of making informed & responsible choices for themselves & their possible offspring as a matter of forethought, certainly are not going to be the sort of parents a child really deserves.

Oops, that was harsh again... Guess I'll leave well enough alone...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 AM

401 posts, read 685,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I agree - and would add, furthermore, that I am pro-life & support a person's right to choose. The religious right doesn't get exclusive access to the term "pro-life".

As an aside, I do find it very interesting that a great percentage of those who consider themselves "pro-life" are also those who are for the death penalty - which I find to be the greatest contradiction of all.

But, that's a bit off topic, sorry.
Abortion kills a baby that has never puposely hurt anyone.
The death penalty is about killing people who are likely to kill more people if they are allowed to live. 99% of pro-lifers are willing to allow abortion if the baby is a threat to the mother's life, we are also willing to kill adults who have already established themselves as a threat to life.

If a person is a threat to life we are willing to kill, if they are not we are not willing to kill. I see no contradiction.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 AM

I'm not debating that many of you have received services other than abortion from PP.

What I'm trying to clarify is that PP is a huge abortion lobbying group which is very well-funded by:

Alan Guttmacher Institute
Taxpayers (Title X, Mexico City Policy, NGO organizations, etc, etc)

Planned Parenthood both lobbies and litigates against virtually every child protection initiative at both the state and federal level, including:

parental and spousal notification,
women’s right to know laws
waiting periods,
partial-birth abortion bans
unborn victims of violence laws,
statutory rape reporting laws
abortion funding bans

It also fights international family planning bills if abortion is NOT included as a form of birth control.

45 states and the fed govt protect the right of healthcard providers to decline involvement in abortion. PP fights this - - they want to compel healthcare providers and hospitals to perfrom abortion against their conscience.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree that Churches do provide a lot of relief and aid to the poor but imagine what the Catholic Church ( for example as it is the riches by far) cold achieve by just giving up all its assets ? How can any organisation which follows Jesus , actually be one of the wealthiest ones in the world. It seems a bit obscene to me. God does not need Cathedrals, Artistic masterpieces, and money. You can worship god anywhere. That money should just be spent on the poor surely. Billions of dollars would certainly help to not only relieve poverty but eradicate it too for the long term. Why does a Church need any assets ?
As an atheist I don't get it. It seems to me all the accumulated wealth of Churches is not for the glory of god but the glory of man. Two thousand years of politics and power play are why the church is so powerful. It has very little to do with following god, or Christ...
God should be within you whether you have a Vatican city, and earthly treasures...
Your post is completely OT, but I want to breifly respond.

I can't stress the point enough that Catholic Charities gives more to the needy than any other group in our country (only next to the Federal Govt).....If you think about it, that's an enormous amount of funding.

The Catholic Church had numerous assets, investments, etc. The Church is also a huge organization which provides many much-needed services and reaches many poor and disenfranched people....many who could not be served without the church's funds.

Here's a brief list of areas the church serves w/ it's money. It takes billions of dollars nation-wide from the church to fill this need:

Catholic Charities (every diocese in the US has a CC)
Schools (preschool to University)
Hospitals
Orphanages
Adoption
Prenatal Care
Homeless Shelters
Soup Kitchens
Prison Ministry
Emergency Assistance
Refugee Resettlement
Naturalization and Immigration
Legal Services
Affordable Housing
Youth Ministry
Evangelization
Auto Donation
Thrift Stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality