Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,575,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
the right of your body ends when you create a new life within, then its not just your body anymore, its the babys too.
That is your opinion and I would never force you to have an abortion. I respect your opinion to believe that.

My opinion and that of the pro-choice people is that a baby is not a baby until it takes its first breath of fresh air and comes into the world. Until it is born it is a foetus, an organism, living yes but not a Baby. And until then the rights of the woman who has been alive for many years takes precedence.

I respect your opinion and would never dream of forcing an abortion on anyone so why should anyone force a birth onto me ? Respect should go both ways shouldn't it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,633,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
That is your opinion and I would never force you to have an abortion. I respect your opinion to believe that.

My opinion and that of the pro-choice people is that a baby is not a baby until it takes its first breath of fresh air and comes into the world. Until it is born it is a foetus, an organism, living yes but not a Baby. And until then the rights of the woman who has been alive for many years takes precedence.

I respect your opinion and would never dream of forcing an abortion on anyone so why should anyone force a birth onto me ? Respect should go both ways shouldn't it ?
i do not understand this thinking that it isnt a baby while it is in the uterus. of course it is!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 AM

69 posts, read 211,092 times
Three weeks ago my 18 year old daughter told me that she was pregnant. I was stunned, shocked and disappointed. She is graduating this school year, so she is a senior.
Because she panicked, she immediately said she was going to abort. I told her to first calm down and talk to the father of the baby and give themselves a few days to make a decision.
We talked to her, and as adults who are older and wiser, we gave her the pros and cons of all scenarios (i.e. abort, keeping the baby and adoption).
After speaking to the father of the baby, they decided together to keep the baby. They are planning to get married, etc.
I told her no matter what decision she makes, i will support 100%. If she would have decided to abort the baby I would have supported her.
If any of you who have daughters were in my position, and let's say your daughter decided to abort instead, would you have forced her to keep the baby? Would you have thrown her out of the house and disowned her because she wanted to abort?
I believe we all have a right to make our own decisions because no one else knows how we truly feel inside. Would you condemn your own child because she feels that having a baby is not something she can handle at that time?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,369,679 times
Default call me radical but...

I am vehemently pro-choice and always have been since I've known about abortion.
To me, the mother's choice is the most important aspect of the entire debate.
I've never had a solid opinion on when life starts for a baby - and I have never cared (other than in a philisophical musing kind of way).
That distinction, too, is the choice of the mother.
If she believes that her fetus is a life and an abortion is equivalent to murder, then her only choice may be to keep the baby. But she still should have the choice. If her choice is murder in her own eyes, then she has to live with that, but it should not be illegal because it is simply not the same as killing an already-born baby. That, to me, is the ultimate meaning of choice in regards to this issue.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM

personally i would do my darndest to sway her away from abortion and choose adoption or keep the baby instead. this baby/pregnancy is a member of our family we are talking about not just some blob of tissue. i think i know my children pretty well and dont think they would be so heartless and selfish (sorry, i dont you dont like the word selfish) to choose abortion. if they did then i would find a way to forgive but i certainly wouldnt lead them in that direction just because it's legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
Three weeks ago my 18 year old daughter told me that she was pregnant. I was stunned, shocked and disappointed. She is graduating this school year, so she is a senior.
Because she panicked, she immediately said she was going to abort. I told her to first calm down and talk to the father of the baby and give themselves a few days to make a decision.
We talked to her, and as adults who are older and wiser, we gave her the pros and cons of all scenarios (i.e. abort, keeping the baby and adoption).
After speaking to the father of the baby, they decided together to keep the baby. They are planning to get married, etc.
I told her no matter what decision she makes, i will support 100%. If she would have decided to abort the baby I would have supported her.
If any of you who have daughters were in my position, and let's say your daughter decided to abort instead, would you have forced her to keep the baby? Would you have thrown her out of the house and disowned her because she wanted to abort?
I believe we all have a right to make our own decisions because no one else knows how we truly feel inside. Would you condemn your own child because she feels that having a baby is not something she can handle at that time?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 AM

what is so difficult about carrying a baby for 9 mos? don't talk to me about health risks since most women do fine.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,229,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
I had a son and haven't faced such issues. I'm sorry you've had to do so recently. Our best friends did face this issue a few years back with their daughter. They, like me, are staunchly pro-life. Their daughter insisted for quite awhile that she was going to abort the baby. They were VERY grieved and devastated about her decision. In the end, though, she decided to keep the baby. He is now 10 and she is married and has 2 other children. I think she is very glad now that she didn't abort.

As for me personally, I can only speculate, but if I had a daughter who just insisted she couldn't handle taking care of the baby, I suspect that I would offer to raise the child as my own or if that was unacceptable to her, I would encourage her to place the child for adoption as Nicolepsy said.

Hope things go well for your daughter and her baby.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
what is so difficult about carrying a baby for 9 mos? don't talk to me about health risks since most women do fine.
Unfortunately, many women die yearly from chidlbirth. According to WHO, around 529,000 women die each year from childbirth. that is a staggering amount!
I had high risk pregnancies, but I was fortunate that all of them were ok, but a couple were touch and go... (I have four kids).
I have personally known three women who had daughters and a niece who died in childbirth. The babies survived, but the mothers did not, due to hemorraging.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
personally i would do my darndest to sway her away from abortion and choose adoption or keep the baby instead. this baby/pregnancy is a member of our family we are talking about not just some blob of tissue. i think i know my children pretty well and dont think they would be so heartless and selfish (sorry, i dont you dont like the word selfish) to choose abortion. if they did then i would find a way to forgive but i certainly wouldnt lead them in that direction just because it's legal.
I have also raised my children to be selfless and full of love and responsiblity. That has nothing to do with IF my daughter did decide to abort. She didn't,but if she did I would not think less of her by any means. She is my daughter and I love her no matter what decision she would have made. I would not try to talk her out of ANY decision she would have made because I am not her. She has her own feelings and knows what is right for her.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,575,997 times
Quote:
i do not understand this thinking that it isnt a baby while it is in the uterus. of course it is!
I do respect your opinion but to me it isn't. It's impossible for both sides of the argument to even understand each other as we are so far apart. I am sorry if it offends some, truly but a baby to me is what comes out of the womb screaming .
Until then it is a foetus. It will become a baby but isn't yet. And the woman has more rights IMO than the unborn.
The living take precedence over the unborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality