Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

I think this song is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down - YouTube

I was wondering if Atheists enjoy this kind of song? I'm an agnostic or "non-believer" and I still enjoy it very much. Also, do atheists enjoy movies that might have religious overtones but arent really religious such as Bruce Alimighty? I enjoy movies like that. For example, I saw a movie not too long ago called Drive Angry about a man who escaped from hell in order to save his still living daughters life.

Can Atheists enjoy this type of entertainment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
I am atheist and I enjoy a number of god-themed entertainment productions.

I listen to country music and there are many songs I like with the word "god" in them. I don't believe there is a god, but I understand that people who believe in god are using the concept of god to satisfy different psychological needs.

When people say, "God gave me you", they are utilizing the positive psychological principle of gratitude.

When people say, "Jesus take the wheel", they are practicing acceptance of things they have no control over, and stopping going down a path that is not working for them.

When people say, "God's going cut you down", they are reminding others to not participate in self-defeating behaviors because of their damaging consequences.

I support the use of positive psychological principles even if they are couched in the framework of god-belief.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was wondering if Atheists enjoy this kind of song? I'm an agnostic or "non-believer" and I still enjoy it very much. Also, do atheists enjoy movies that might have religious overtones but arent really religious such as Bruce Alimighty? I enjoy movies like that. For example, I saw a movie not too long ago called Drive Angry about a man who escaped from hell in order to save his still living daughters life.

I am an atheist and love some art that has religious origins.

*Handel's Messiah
*A few works by Johnny Cash, of which you reminded me
*Jesus by the Velvet Underground comes to mind
*Architecture, stained-glass windows, and so forth

Perhaps my all-time favorite novel is John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany, which is steeped in religious symbolism and the main character is a Christ figure.

Similarly, though not on the topic of religion, I like the art of the Leni Riefenstahl's Nazi propaganda/documentary Triumph Of The Will.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Sure. I still enjoy the music of some Christian rock and metal bands like Petra and Tourniquet, though I don't believe in any of it anymore.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I think this song is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Yup, I've always enjoyed fantasy...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Absolutely I love Johnny Cash, he was one of the true "Greats" of the American Music scene and somehow calling him "Great" just does not seem good enough......
While I do not agree with the religious message or ideology behind some music I still have the enjoyment of it.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:

This heathen prefers Godsmack.

Godsmack - Voodoo - YouTube

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am atheist and I enjoy a number of god-themed entertainment productions.

I listen to country music and there are many songs I like with the word "god" in them. I don't believe there is a god, but I understand that people who believe in god are using the concept of god to satisfy different psychological needs.

When people say, "God gave me you", they are utilizing the positive psychological principle of gratitude.

When people say, "Jesus take the wheel", they are practicing acceptance of things they have no control over, and stopping going down a path that is not working for them.

When people say, "God's going cut you down", they are reminding others to not participate in self-defeating behaviors because of their damaging consequences.

I support the use of positive psychological principles even if they are couched in the framework of god-belief.
Wow, nicely put Hueff!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Yes, God will someday eradicate satan from this world.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yes, God will someday eradicate satan from this world.
Ridding the world of satan is easy, simply stop believing the absurdities of ancient superstition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality