U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,424,287 times

Advertisements

I am so glad that I no longer see life as a test. That one change in perspective makes life so much brighter and better.

I used to be Mormon, I believed life was a test and training ground for an afterlife.

I have been atheist for over five years now, and when I hear others describe life as a test, I am just so glad that I don't see life that way anymore. It is so freeing and less stressful and more wonderful when you don't think anyone is watching and recording your every deed and making judgement on it or evaluating it. You no longer have to wonder am I good enough? or, Does someone approve of the way I am living my life?

It is the difference between hiking for the fun of it and because you enjoy it, and hiking (and maybe you enjoy it), but knowing that you are being evaluated and the consequences are awful if you are deemed not good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,520,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am so glad that I no longer see life as a test. That one change in perspective makes life so much brighter and better.

I used to be Mormon, I believed life was a test and training ground for an afterlife.

I have been atheist for over five years now, and when I hear others describe life as a test, I am just so glad that I don't see life that way anymore. It is so freeing and less stressful and more wonderful when you don't think anyone is watching and recording your every deed and making judgement on it or evaluating it. You no longer have to wonder am I good enough? or, Does someone approve of the way I am living my life?

It is the difference between hiking for the fun of it and because you enjoy it, and hiking (and maybe you enjoy it), but knowing that you are being evaluated and the consequences are awful if you are deemed not good enough.
I'm just the opposite. I never even thought of life as being a test until 7 years ago. But, now seeing it as a test and a time for learning, it makes more sense to me and I find it to be more relaxing. Perhaps because one of my greatest enjoyments is learning new things.

Then again I also enjoy facing tests and Challenges. Love Aerobatics as I know errors are not forgiven. One error and I have bought the farm

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 PM

I love learning and I love challenging myself. I don't love be evaluated by someone else for every freaking thing I do and every thought I have.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM

21,275 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
I love learning and I love challenging myself. I don't love be evaluated by someone else for every freaking thing I do and every thought I have.
Well, you may not love being evaluated and you may be blissfully happy pretending that your thoughts and actions don't make a difference to "someone else." That, unforunately, doesn't make it so.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,458,797 times
Life IS a test... But I am the only one doing the grading.

Sometimes I wish god was there because I'm sure he'd go easier on me than I do...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Life IS a test... But I am the only one doing the grading.

Sometimes I wish god was there because I'm sure he'd go easier on me than I do...
You may someday get your wish, Chango.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, you may not love being evaluated and you may be blissfully happy pretending that your thoughts and actions don't make a difference to "someone else." That, unforunately, doesn't make it so.
You don't know that there is anyone evaluating my thoughts. It might be you who are "pretending" that there is someone there hearing your thoughts. Who knows? No one does. That's who.

If you use condescending language on me, I'll use it right back. At least Woodrow isn't like that. My original post is phrased as my belief and my perspective.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,366,579 times
Quote:

Good for you!

"Time on the path is no less valuable than time after arrival."

Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You don't know that there is anyone evaluating my thoughts. It might be you who are "pretending" that there is someone there hearing your thoughts. Who knows? No one does. That's who.
That's right. Neither one of us knows. One of us is just pretending. Which one?

Quote:
If you use condescending language on me, I'll use it right back. At least Woodrow isn't like that. My original post is phrased as my belief and my perspective.
Condescending language? Lighten up, Hueff.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,458,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You may someday get your wish, Chango.
Because I like cover my bases, just in case...

...should I find myself at the judgement bar with an empty glass someday, and happen to drop a certain screen-name, you'll vouch for me as potential Terrestrial Kingdom material, right? Maybe if I promise to not watch anymore weepy church movies that make me sick to my stomach and wanna post about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality