Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,049,243 times

Advertisements

I noticed an error; the Pilgrims were there before the Puritans. Oh well, easy to get the two confused. Still, the point holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Why? Why should a person's religion be any more "private" than their personal politics or sexual orientation?
That's a good point. I mean I do think there are some aspects of religion that are private between the believer and their God, but if we lived in a world where you couldn't express or admit who you are (religiously) at all that would be repressive.

Possibly the person isn't thinking of the consequences like that though and are thinking religion should be private in the way sex or money are private. I think even many pro-gay people might become exasperated if the person talked about their gayness too much. Although I suppose another issue is sexual orientation is not, at least not usually, aimed at converting. I mean I think some of them do want people with same-sex attractions, like me, to convert to their view on what that means. But they're not thinking they can make straight people turn gay or bi. Of course that would mean a person would be less bothered by Judaism being non-private as Judaism isn't evangelizing.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,878,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francais_Femme View Post
Why are Americans so religious in the U.S.?

Comming from Canada and Europe, every time I drive down and visit the U.S. I always see plenty of churches everywhere, people mention "God" all the time (such as God Bless, Thank God etc.), half of the cars having Christian cross on mirrors, "In God We Trust" on money and national motto, going to church is being important, blue laws in some places, disliking atheist and non-believers, having bible belts and bla bla.

What's the reason? I'm not saying it's something bad, but it's interesting.

Many secular Europeans who immigrate to the U.S. are becomming more religious too :S
For example Scandinavians in Scandinavia are very secular, mainly atheist and non-believers - but Scandinavian Americans are very religious.
In general, I personally believe that people who believe in fundamentalist religions are not the brightest bulbs . . .In the book "Power Vs. Force," fundamentalist religion is rated vibrationally as one of the lowest groups on the planet . . . I don't know what causes the dumbing down of America - perhaps not the best and brightest immigrated to the country . . .

Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,440,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"Spreading the word" can mean different things to different people. I don't evangelize much or at all, in part, because I assume people have already heard of Catholicism. This isn't like ancient times where it was all new to people. I will defend my beliefs and try to clear up misconceptions when appropriate. Otherwise "spreading the word", to me, is more about trying to be a good example.

So "keeping it to yourself" is not really the Christian way, but I think even many Protestants churches don't expect everyone to really preach or evangelize. (Except in the "soft" sense of evangelizing, telling people you're Christian and if asked saying why) There's many places where the people are fairly churchgoing, but aren't going to bother non-believers much or at all.
>>>>>
So "keeping it to yourself" is not really the Christian way, but I think even many Protestants churches don't expect everyone to really preach or evangelize.
<<<<<

That is wrong-headed and tragic.

Also, I lived on the upper West Coast for a while....you'd be amazed how many people have not REALLY heard of Jesus. Many of 'em were going by what they saw on TV or in a movie. Not always the best places to get the true/full story.

That was obviously a strange experience given my upbringing in one of the most Evangelical Christinized states (Oklahoma).

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-21-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

I believe what I believe, I'm not an Evangelical Protestant. I traditionally took Ephesians 4 as meaning some are to be more teachers than preachers. I will teach, as I am able, to those who ask or are interested. I'm not going to bang my head on closed doors though.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,049,243 times
Wasn't it St. Francis of Assisi who said "Preach the gospel; use words if necessary"?

Nonetheless, there is certainly a role for verbal evangelization. The fundamentalist form of it is often far too emotional; however, many are drawn in by that. As for non-believers, I can't imagine why they would take offense. Those trying to convert you do not do so by force; and they are easy enough to ignore. Many, if not most here were baptized Christians. Again, maybe pangs of conscience?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,812,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
So "keeping it to yourself" is not really the Christian way, but I think even many Protestants churches don't expect everyone to really preach or evangelize.
<<<<<

Also, I lived on the upper West Coast for a while....you'd be amazed how many people have not REALLY heard of Jesus. Many of 'em were going by what they saw on TV or in a movie. Not always the best places to get the true/full story.

That was obviously a strange experience given my upbringing in one of the most Evangelical Christinized states (Oklahoma).
That's surprising especially here in America.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,865,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
The most religious areas are the least diverse areas. These people only are confronted with, say, Baptists, everywhere in their area. Their upbringing, Bible School, etc, their social staple, (church,) and their entire life is designed around having religion there. There isn't much to kill your dogma, doctrine, beliefs, etc.

The most diverse areas are the least religious. When you have 5 people on the same block of traditionally other backgrounds and religions, you are exposed to different ideas, which counter any one religion, therefore ruining the perception that your religion is the way of life. Plus, most religions are "chosen" religions, so you have to battle with the thought that you might be saved but none of your friends will be because they aren't your religion, etc.

You see the holes in religion when you don't live in a religiously homogenous area like the south.
You're saying people in places like the South are a part of their religion because they have no other example than the common one they encounter in their community and that without other religions present in close proximity they're too stupid to question their own beliefs or compare them to other ways of thinking. That sounds pretty elitist.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Wasn't it St. Francis of Assisi who said "Preach the gospel; use words if necessary"?

Nonetheless, there is certainly a role for verbal evangelization. The fundamentalist form of it is often far too emotional; however, many are drawn in by that. As for non-believers, I can't imagine why they would take offense. Those trying to convert you do not do so by force; and they are easy enough to ignore. Many, if not most here were baptized Christians. Again, maybe pangs of conscience?
It depends what we mean. It can come off "I'm right, you're wrong, and I'm going to tell you now why that is." That can be a tad offensive. Particularly if they get into the "this is why your current religion is false and maybe even damnable." I remember even an Episcopalian, of all things, who was visiting and told us why he felt we're wrong not to allow married or female priests. Certainly his right to say that, but it was a bit awkward a thing for a guest to do. (I picked him because Episcopalians aren't known for that. He did drop the matter though in time. The real Fundamentalist types sometimes get harsher or more aggressive)

People don't like to be told they're ignorant and bad. Even if you say it with a smile and a gentle voice.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:49 AM

529 posts, read 362,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Or how many voted for George W Bush, or how many believe that FoxNews is fair and balanced (or truthful), or how many think the Occupy movement is all doper hippies, or how many have no idea of where their food comes from other than it's wrapped in plastic at the supermarket or how many think that the world is ending (again for the umpteenth time) in 2012.

The point is Americans by and large are ignorant boobs who by and large give little thought to anything but consumption. Brainwashing would indicate an ability to concentrate and engage.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. FoxNews fair and balanced ROFL that is funny...I like that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality