U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Arizona
1,189 posts, read 1,069,316 times
Reputation: 1466
Default mormon.org commercials?

I have been seeing these commercials the last week or so and they are really confusing me. Why is the LDS church doing these commercials? It would seem that they wouldn't have to do this if they were more open about things, such as letting people into their Temples and not being so defensive when others question their faith. It also seems coinsidental that these commercals are coming out at the same time as the presidential candidates are announcing. I just find it sad that they feel the need to convince people they are "normal" (I'm not saying they aren't) but the commercials I feel are doing the opposite of what they are wanting them to do. What are your thoughts.

And please, do not make this a bashing thread, there is no reason for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,466 posts, read 4,660,950 times
Reputation: 2698
I've been seeing them here and there (they advertise pretty heavily on hulu) and my wife always gets a giggle out of them, being a former Mormon.

I honestly don't know how much they get out of it, but based on my wife's experience at least, they're not entirely representable of the truth of life within the church.

I do agree that the commercials might backfire as much as they might draw people in, but only the Mormons know I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,643 posts, read 8,834,396 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I have been seeing these commercials the last week or so and they are really confusing me. Why is the LDS church doing these commercials?
This advertising campaign is intended to portray the tremendous diversity among members of the Church and to make interested individuals aware of the website they can go to to find out more about the Church from a reliable source (even if they aren't interested in having missionaries call on them). So far, it's been immensely successful in doing what it set out to do.

Quote:
It would seem that they wouldn't have to do this if they were more open about things, such as letting people into their Temples and not being so defensive when others question their faith.
I'm not sure why any non-Mormon would think he's entitled to enter what, to we who are believers, feel are the most sacred places on earth. You could not possibly go into an LDS temple during any of the hours it's open and not be intruding on someone's wedding, baptism, etc. It would seem to me that it's pretty presumptuous for anyone to presume he should have this right. On the other hand, whenever we build a new temple anywhere in the world, we have an open house for the public, generally for several weeks prior to its being dedicated. At these open houses, you see virtually every room in the temple and the significance and use of each one is explained. I would suggest that anyone who feels "left out" because he can't go in an LDS temple once it is dedicated, take advantage of the opportunity to do so when a new temple is built near where they live. I should also mention that there are literally tens of thousands of LDS chapels around the world and anyone is welcome to visit our regular Sunday worship services at any time.

As far as being defensive when people question our faith, I think the tone and intent of the questioning makes a huge difference in how we respond. I have never shied away from answering questions about my Mormon beliefs and, as most people on this forum will probably agree, I am willing to address even the most difficult and controversial issues, as long as I am shown the respect that any human being deserves. That said, I don't particularly look kindly on people who try to tell me what Mormons believe or who accuse me of being less than honest with them when I respond to their questions.

Quote:
It also seems coinsidental that these commercals are coming out at the same time as the presidential candidates are announcing.
Regardless of how it "seems" to you, the advertising campaign was not orchestrated to coincide with the upcoming elections.

Quote:
I just find it sad that they feel the need to convince people they are "normal" (I'm not saying they aren't) but the commercials I feel are doing the opposite of what they are wanting them to do. What are your thoughts.
My thoughts are that it is indeed sad that we need to do so, but the fact it, there is a lot of misinformation out there about us, and as long as people continue to twist and parody our doctrines, we will continue to set them straight. And as I said, the number of hits on www.mormon.org has been staggering.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-19-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,643 posts, read 8,834,396 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I honestly don't know how much they get out of it, but based on my wife's experience at least, they're not entirely representable of the truth of life within the church.
That's the whole point. Your wife's experience is her experience, not somebody else's.

Quote:
I do agree that the commercials might backfire as much as they might draw people in, but only the Mormons know I suppose.
No backfiring so far. And probably due to the campaign, a great many non-Mormons watched (on the internet) the Church's two-day General Conference the first weekend of October. From that two day Conference (which, for those who don't know, is simply a series of rather brief sermons by the Church's leadership), the Church received over 9000 requests for missionary visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
5,352 posts, read 5,226,298 times
Reputation: 9558
Commercials (those and others) are why there's a mute button on the remote.

I don't enjoy religious commercials of any kind on network tv, but they have a right to be there as much as a commercial for a car dealership or an insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,643 posts, read 8,834,396 times
Reputation: 4431
By the way, Laura, I suspect the reason why your thread is not eliciting a lot of activity is that the advertising campaign you're referring to is not being distributed nationwide, but only to eight or nine markets. A lot of the people reading this thread would not have seen the commercials, billboards, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Arizona
1,189 posts, read 1,069,316 times
Reputation: 1466
If you know, why were only a few markets chosen? I would think they would get more attention if they were nationwide.

Also, I don't think it's an entitlement feeling, but people fear what they don't understand. The Catholics revere their churches just as many other faiths, but they also allow all to enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
13,643 posts, read 8,834,396 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
If you know, why were only a few markets chosen? I would think they would get more attention if they were nationwide.
I'm not really sure, but this isn't an unusual way of doing things. You run a campaign in certain areas, see how it does, make changes as needed and then branch out. The ads were running in New York City for quite awhile before they ran anywhere else.

Quote:
Also, I don't think it's an entitlement feeling, but people fear what they don't understand.
You're right, they do, and that's unfortuate. But as I said before, you couldn't go into a Mormon temple and not be interrupting some kind of a sacred ceremony. It just doesn't seem like a non-believer's curiosity should trump a believer's right to worship privately -- particularly when the temples are open for tours for weeks before they are closed to the public. People who just want to see the rooms can do so them. I can't imagine how awkward I would feel just peeking in to watch a complete stranger's wedding or baptism.

Quote:
The Catholics revere their churches just as many other faiths, but they also allow all to enter.
And people are allowed to enter any one of our chapels worldwide. Advanced notice is not required. Visitors are welcome at all of our Sunday worship services. Besides, I can assure you that there are certain rooms in every Catholic cathedral that are off-limits to the general public, and probably even to the congregation as a whole. It's just that all of our "off-limits" rooms are in a single building, and all of our "it's okay to wander" rooms are in other buildings.

Aside from the details of the temple ceremonies, though, we are totally open about discussing our beliefs. If you disagree, try me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,075 posts, read 16,723,641 times
Reputation: 9647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
By the way, Laura, I suspect the reason why your thread is not eliciting a lot of activity is that the advertising campaign you're referring to is not being distributed nationwide, but only to eight or nine markets. A lot of the people reading this thread would not have seen the commercials, billboards, etc.
Really? I live in Canada, and I see them often...TV advertizing is very expensive. I would think that there are far better uses for the money spent, but I suppose it's like any other business...Won't go if you don't push it.
For many new customers, uh converts they get 10% of that persons income...Much of that income is invested, but what is in it for the convert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
 
759 posts, read 274,744 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? I live in Canada, and I see them often...TV advertizing is very expensive. I would think that there are far better uses for the money spent, but I suppose it's like any other business...Won't go if you don't push it.
For many new customers, uh converts they get 10% of that persons income...Much of that income is invested, but what is in it for the convert?
A planet of their very own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top