Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,887,967 times

Advertisements

Maybe on the astral plane . . .I think that is where psychics get their info . . . so it is not on this physical plane . . . the physical laws do not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,485,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Maybe on the astral plane . . .I think that is where psychics get their info . . . so it is not on this physical plane . . . the physical laws do not apply.

How do we even know there is light to capture on the putative astral plane?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,887,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How do we even know there is light to capture on the putative astral plane?
I don't know the technical details . . .as I said before, though, the laws of the physical universe do not apply to the astral plane.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,485,974 times
Quote:
I don't know the technical details . . .as I said before, though, the laws of the physical universe do not apply to the astral plane.
Assuming arguendo there is life after death, I will say that if there is no light, we would not be able to see after we died. And, if we have no method to capture light, we will not be able to see after we die.

Put differently, for us to be able to see after we die, we will need both light and a method to capture that light. Since we know of none, I would assume that there will not be sight in the traditional sense.

Although if by some mechanism we are sentient after we die, we may be able to have a sensation similar to sight, through means I am unaware of.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM

23,109 posts, read 28,843,965 times
My only curiosity, after leaving this poor-excuse-for-a-planet, will be if my relatives followed out my last orders for my tombstone. I would like to see that!

A sculpture of a man sitting atop my tombstone, a big smile on his face, one gun in each hand, pointed at his head. Tombstone reading: I did it!!!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:29 PM

24,481 posts, read 33,175,556 times
Quote:
This question is obviously for people who believe in "life after death." My personal belief is in reincarnation.

I am looking forward to death, IF it means I cannot see what is going on down here on Earth.

Does anyone know of any religious texts that speak of this issue?

If I have to know what is going on down here, I am going to be seriously ticked off.
From what I've read (people who have had NDEs), yes you can see what's going on but since the afterlife is much, much more pleasant you will be spending much more time there than being concerned about what's going on with Earth. Also, remember there is no "time" as we measure it in the afterlife, so any people you want to see who are still on Earth will be in the afterlife in a short time span.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,518,937 times
Fun Question!

I read in one of the Lost Books of the Bible and Forgotten Books of Eden that a soul, upon exit from its body, has seven days to go anywhere it wants, to see anything or anyone it wants, and to ponder its life, before "reporting in" to the destination after death.

I hope that is true. I suspect that it is. All of my fifty, plus years I have heard stories from sane folks about funny, little happenings right after a loved-one had died. Hmm.....very cool subject.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:36 PM

88,198 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
This question is obviously for people who believe in "life after death." My personal belief is in reincarnation.

I am looking forward to death, IF it means I cannot see what is going on down here on Earth.

Does anyone know of any religious texts that speak of this issue?

If I have to know what is going on down here, I am going to be seriously ticked off.
Do You Think You Can See What's Going on on Earth After You're Dead?

Why would I want to? I don't like what's going on on Earth now, when I'm alive.

I just read a quote: "Is there really such a thing as reincarnation, or is that just some silly idea I picked up in a past life?" (Sy Safransky)

(I haven't outruled reincarnation as part of my belief.)

Old 10-22-2011, 05:39 PM

88,198 posts, read 84,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
After death we are nothing more that organic matter waiting to breakdown. The light just goes out. Death is the end, period.
How do you know that for sure? Did someone come back from the dead and tell you?

But while you're alive, remember that in the way you used it above, you should break down "breakdown" into two words. You can have a nervous breakdown, but something breaks down.

Now I can die. My purpose in life has been fullfilled.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,444,060 times
No

Dead is dead

The end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality