Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The "mind" is just chemical reactions in the brain. Nothing more, nothing less. Cold, hard biology.

That's true without and argument.

Do you have a name? If so, by what name do you imagine who you are, how you act, and by what circumstances motivate you to decide either or?

That my friend is the "heart of the matter", your personality, your character which has no physical component to it, but is all spiritual.

To the "heart" is what spirituality appeals to, the conscienceless.

When one looses consciences, the body, your mind and your heart are is still there, but who you are, well........is absent.

Who you are is who God is interested in and not so much as to what you are.

For what you are, a body will return to where it came from...earth.

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
The "mind" is just chemical reactions in the brain. Nothing more, nothing less. Cold, hard biology.
Pretty much it, and that really comes home when people fantasize about and after life and the other impossible promises religion creates.

Reality may bite at times, but it's all we got, but I'm good with that.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:01 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Pretty much it, and that really comes home when people fantasize about and after life and the other impossible promises religion creates.
Reality may bite at times, but it's all we got, but I'm good with that.
What humans are willing to accept in support of their preferred worldview is amazing. Rejecting as non-existent our very personhood as mere chemical reactions is beyond reason . . . it is insane.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What humans are willing to accept in support of their preferred worldview is amazing. Rejecting as non-existent our very personhood as mere chemical reactions is beyond reason . . . it is insane.
Says the man that believes in the absurdity of sky gods and the other mindless nonsense associated with them.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Says the man that believes in the absurdity of sky gods and the other mindless nonsense associated with them.
I could almost make an exception and believe that I am talking to mere chemical reactions when addressing your posts, Ashe . . . but even your posts are far more than mere chemical reactions!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You mean there are lots of atheists who agree with you and they use the Internet?
No. I tend to mean exactly what I said. Not what you pretend I said. Clearly given my posting history on this forum I have enough of my own words without you putting some in my mouth for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Anyway looking it up I'll concede Catholics as a percent of the world's population has gone down since 1985. Although it looks to be stable since 1995.
And a good thing too as they are certainly on the top of my list of the most awful, damaging and evil religions. I am not sure how stable they are on a country by country basis however with Ireland seeing people leaving the RCC in droves, Italy and Spain showing drop offs too, Ireland unable to fill the seminaries with enough vocations, and after normalising for deaths and births there was this year a first ever net loss in membership in Germany. All very promising signs. I may not see the death of religion in my life time given how slow the death is, but I would very much appreciate being around to witness the death throes of the Catholic Church.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
There are still some days when I can't believe that people really, really believe in all of the Bible with their whole heart. I never did. The only thing that scared the crap outta me was being set on fire for eternity. That held me in place for a very long time.
I read recently that we do indeed tend to believe something more readily if the person telling us that something cause us to fear in some way. We are more open to baseless ideas if those ideas are presented in such a fashion as to allay fears.

Religion is good at adapting and it has evolved itself to be very good at using facts about the human condition to spread itself. It very much utilises the fear of people in order to sell itself.

I remember a guy coming to me in the street in Dublin with the "good news" and I told him I had no interest. He started telling me about hell and fire and brimestone and I would suffer with agony. I hailed over a local police officer and had the guy questioned for threatening me.

Comical, but also relevant. At the end of the day these people are selling a product and they are literally threatening people in order to sell it. That IS illegal and it is about time more people start applying the law to it.

There was a story recently in Wales where a man was arrested for calling a woman and "english *****" or something similar in the heat of argument. Yet priests can get up on the pulpit and deride whole sections of our society... like gay people... premeditated... and threaten people with things like hell... and no law is enacted. I would like to see that change.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
This appeal to the unknown and unexplained - in respect of human though, just here - is surely overdone. The appeal to complexity, the argument from ignorance and ignoring so many similar questions that turned out to be much better answered by materialist naturalist explanations. There are, I believe, some indications that human thought has to be a product of the brain. The cells and electrical impulses Damage the brain and the impulses don't work very well or at all.

You'd think that was simple enough but, no, we still get the appeals to the unexplained. At best. More often we just get a lot of abuse for not swallowing a lot of speculation as some sort of definite fact.

Apparently the thread had degenerated, (as they often do) into trying to ague for a believable 'god' (which our OP agnostic would still give some sort of credit to) not just as a possibility or even a probability but as something which should be so plainly ewvidennt that we ought to take it a fact.

So at least it's on topic as I think there are very good reasons why agnosticism is the only reasonable, logical and rational knowledge - position to hold in respect of gods or anything one might suppose deserves the 'god' label.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm not sure I believe in God or not. That's the problem. But I have no other explanation (apparently I need one) for how we got here and how the universe was created. But like I said, I need time to research different viewpoints and see what I come up with. And yes, I always had the freedom to research anything I wanted, I was just afraid to. There is no "freedom in religion" when you're full of fear and too afraid to even hear other ideas for fear of losing your religion. Happened anyway.

Yep, I'm done listening to men about what a God would have me do or not do so if I want to behave like an earthworm I can do so. And you're right, I feel if there is a God and he wants me to believe in him and do his bidding he would reveal himself to me. That's pretty much all that any of us non-believers need.
That is no reason to believe in a god....just because you can't come up with another explanation for something! How is that belief anyway? I know for me, my beliefs are arrived at based on being convinced of something's truth. It seems like you are grasping at straws trying to find some reason that would justify a belief in god. However, using the word "belief" for something just because you can't come up with another explanation does not sound like someone who is convinced of something.

What is wrong with "I don't know?" Because in actuality, that is the only truthful answer...that you do not know. Otherwise, you are just using god as placeholder ("god of the gaps") for that which has not yet been explained.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yeah this is all new to me so like I said before, I think I believe in a God/Creator that is love and light but that's as far as it goes. Universal Reconciliation taught me that if there is a God, he is not the monster portrayed in the Bible. I don't trust or believe the Bible, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. I can't be classified as a "Christian" any longer I suppose because I'm even questioning the deity of the Christ and the whole story of his death and resurrection. So, I guess agnostic is appropriate for now because I do question the God of the Bible and all that entails.
That's exactly what I believe in too, Ilene. I grew up being a diehard atheist. Kind of cool that a Christian and an atheist could end up believing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality