Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
... Consciousness and intelligence are not mere biochemical reactions of "non-conscious" "non-intelligent" components.
I agree, Mystic.
Going along with that idea... Dark energy & matter permeate & make up much of our universe, & atoms (which everything is made of) are mostly space - & the idea that energy cannot be destroyed. Also, genes are not turned on & off by themselves, nor does the body work like a robotic machine (as Newtonian Physics suggested) - but is run by energy... stimulus from the environment (ie food, oxygen, thoughts/feelings).

OP... I don't think reincarnation is important to be aware of... if we even could be aware of it, given we get a new brain/new memories each life. Only the energy, (ie chakras) may have something to do with memories. In the clip, she neglected to mention an important part of our purpose... I agree that it is to learn & progress... but not just that... also, so we can have JOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You'd be right apart from her being a woman, but I'd say the same if it was a man. So, sexism not being the issue, you feel the comments are justified? It's not that I disagree with what she says, but they don't sound to me to be appropriate for a christian preacher.
They can wear whatever fad they choose to, they are all equally respectable to me... as human beings. you shouldn't worry too much about her clothing... Let the Catholics bother themselves over it. "She isn't a true goth like us, how dare she wear black! What a poser".

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It is impossible to "believe in nothing." No one can comprehend "nothing," because there is no such thing as "nothing." Have an excellent night yourself!
touche! but we can at least pretend to comprehend "something". Yes, I believe what the theologian in the video said makes sense if you are willing to accept reincarnation and karma. And neither of those two concepts are very hard to grasp or have faith in. A lot of physicalists that are against those ideas have faith in death instead. which I believe is also an easy concept to grasp. They shouldn't be criticizing too much unless they make their fears and arguments against reincarnation and karma clear.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-23-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i agree. but you cant look back from where you came. so when the sun comes up most important you give it your best shot. if you take care of today tomarrow will take care of itself.
Yes, but tomorrow will become today by this time tomorrow. Do you really want to be taking care of "today" all the time... how boring.
I mix it up, sometimes I take care of today, sometimes of yesterday, and sometimes of tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I am sorry, but my career path is not my life purpose
Ok, I was going to add this last night but forgot. So you may not have that glamorous of a career, { I sure dont } but are you a family man? If so, then do you work to support them? Maaybe that is your purpose, to raise your children and see to it that they have good lives. I'm sure there is something in your life that you could find purpose in.

Quote:
. A life purpose, in the manner we are discussing goes deeper.
But you see, this is where you and others make your mistake. You assume there IS infact a "deeper" purpose for your life, one that you have no control over and is predetermined before you are ever born, when there may not be.

Quote:
it was just so amazing to think of the beauty and complexity of life that is around us . . .do you ever have such moments, and if so, what do you make of them?
Beauty and complexity are both subjective attributes. What is complex to you, may not be complex to me, and visa-versa. However, when I come across something that is beautiful, sure, I marvel at it. I dont take it as intelligent design or a purpose for it being there or anything else like that though.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;21404203]
Quote:

Ok, I was going to add this last night but forgot. So you may not have that glamorous of a career, { I sure dont } but are you a family man? If so, then do you work to support them? Maaybe that is your purpose, to raise your children and see to it that they have good lives. I'm sure there is something in your life that you could find purpose in.

But you see, this is where you and others make your mistake. You assume there IS infact a "deeper" purpose for your life, one that you have no control over and is predetermined before you are ever born, when there may not be.

Beauty and complexity are both subjective attributes. What is complex to you, may not be complex to me, and visa-versa. However, when I come across something that is beautiful, sure, I marvel at it. I dont take it as intelligent design or a purpose for it being there or anything else like that though.
How do you rationalize cycles and symmetry? Just those two things, for starters . . .

Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Question The PURPOSE OF LIFE!

What is the purpose of asking if life has a purpose?

Why should life have a purpose other than itself?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
How do you rationalize cycles and symmetry? Just those two things, for starters . . .
The better question would be, why do you attribute a hightened meaning to these things?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The better question would be, why do you attribute a hightened meaning to these things?
Diversion is not a clever tactic. Please answer my question.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times