Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,346,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You can find them yourself
I can not find much on those sites, just Q&As about what NDEs are and other such nonsense. I asked for actual citations, not blog like websites setup by people who already believe it who hand pick evidence to support it. I mean peer reviewed, scientific, controlled research into the topic like that I mentioned.

All you have offered me is a couple of web pages with vague anecdotes. Anecdotes are not evidence. If finding people who claim X happened was all you needed to prove X happened then you would have to believe ALL kinds of crazy stuff because no matter how kooky the idea you come up with is, you will find someone who will attest to it.

The reason I asked for controlled citations was the nonsense you just followed up with of "shoe she could not possibly know was there". Firstly, how do YOU know that she could not have known this? Secondly, how do you even know it was not planted there just so she could make the claim? Thirdly, how come all your anecdotes start with "I read/heard this somewhere once and now I have no link to it.....". You will forgive me for once again being suspicious that you are simply making them up.

This is the issue, you simply have no idea what tricks are being pulled and even if no tricks are being pulled you simply do not know what people can notice without noticing they have noticed, or hear without knowing they heard. Some autistic children for example are able to relate the contents of conversations that happened several rooms away.

We hear and see a lot more than we think we do, but we filter a lot of it out. Even when the patient is "flatlined" this just means their heart has stopped. This does not mean that the senses still are not active and relaying some information to the brain which does some level of processing on it.

Finally, and the most important thing I kept until last, a lack of explanation for something is NOT evidence for anything you just want to make up. If I could flick a switch and put one thing in the minds of everyone on the planet it would be that. So many nonsense notions are espoused by people on this planet and their sole evidence for their claims is to list things that can not be explained, as if by being unexplained they therefore become explainable. Even if I had NO explanation for one of your anecdotes, real or made up, that in no way, for one second, ever.... makes it evidence for an explanation you have made up entirely unsubstantiated out of your own head.

Everyone from the psychics to the religious try this trick. They espouse a crazy notion like, say, the existence of god and then instead of offering ANY evidence for this entity they instead start listing things they think you can not explain. When you can not explain them, they act like they have just proved god exists.

You are trying the same ploy here. I strongly urge you to watch this video on "open mindedness" and if you can not stretch your attention span to even watch the entire thing, at least watch the first 2:50 of it.

Yet when any control is put on these things what we find is that the positive results simply do not exist. I can not find any. You can not find any. There simply appears not to be any.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,607,738 times
If you wish to conclude that thousands upon thousands of experiences didn't happen, be my guest. One is an anecdote. Two a coincidence. Three a trend. Thousands means something.

Do you believe people when they tell you it's raining?

PS... You didn't look hard enough, both sites I listed have hundreds, if not thousands of personal first hand accounts.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,227,954 times
Thread has veered totally off topic from the original OP. As such, thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality