Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints practice polygamy today?
Yes, definitely. 13 23.64%
Probably. 2 3.64%
Probably not. 4 7.27%
No, definitely not. 30 54.55%
I have absolutely no idea. 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I disagree. Mainstream Mormons will be excommunicated from the church if they practice this. Trust me...if you are active in the church you won't get away with it.

I voted no in the poll as polygamy is NOT being practiced in the official church.
Mmmmmmmmmmmkay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't think anyone cares what the belief is concerning the status of polygamy in the hereafter. The issue is while you are alive and here among the living.
True, and that is why I voted no...especially since eternal marriage is a belief that, in my knowledge, only the LDS faith practices.

However...polygamy "could" be reinstated here on the earth. I think many people like to tell themselves that polygamy is a thing of the past but the principles are still very much part of Mormon doctrine and belief.

So, I can see how someone might vote either way.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Get in line Katz... I might just be the most desirable man in the Intermountain West, and I don't even wear Wranglers.
Get in line? Are you kidding me?

BTW... is your husband large and/or a gun owner? [/quote]He's big, but he's kind of a big ol' cuddly bear.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Get in line? Are you kidding me?

BTW... is your husband large and/or a gun owner? He's big, but he's kind of a big ol' cuddly bear.
Sorry, rules, protocols and all that. Gotta follow 'em.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't think anyone cares what the belief is concerning the status of polygamy in the hereafter. The issue is while you are alive and here among the living.
The Mormon men who have multiple eternal spouses sure care about it. The living man is here among the living and has two eternal spouses. In his mind, he has two wives, right now while he is alive; it is just that one is beyond the veil.

And this isn't just some abstract doctrine. I have a sister-in-law who was sealed to a man for time and all eternity. He died, but she is still married eternally to him and thus cannot be married eternally to another man. So, never married, young Mormon men who are looking to get married to a woman for time and all eternity aren't going to want to marry my sister-in-law because they can't have her for eternity. That is an extra obstacle for her in trying to get re-married, so she can have a husband for this life only for the rest of her life.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
True, and that is why I voted no...especially since eternal marriage is a belief that, in my knowledge, only the LDS faith practices.

However...polygamy "could" be reinstated here on the earth. I think many people like to tell themselves that polygamy is a thing of the past but the principles are still very much part of Mormon doctrine and belief.

So, I can see how someone might vote either way.
The question was whether the Church permits polygamy today, not whether it could conceivably permit it at some time in the future, though. Also, even in countries where polygamy is against the law, a man who has more than one wife and wishes to convert to the Church must divorce all except his first wife.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Actually polygamy doesn't really get me all worked up. And I think the mortal idea of polygamy is kind of limited.

I think we are like spiritual babies with our vision. We see through our human eyes and act not unlike children.

Personally I think it wont even matter in the next life like it does here.

And it all comes down to this really...if polygamy is an eternal principal, will I, a mere mortal, change God and how he does things? So why worry about it?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM

I think it's just a touchy subject as it does scare some people away from the church. I also think many members find comfort in the official stance that polygamy is not being practiced.

If you study the Doctrine and Covenants it is quite apparent that this practice is an eternal principal therefore it is very much part of the religion still.

Since the LDS faith puts most of its emphasis on eternal life I really don't see how you can overlook this and say...we don't practice it, it is gone forever. I think it's somewhat deceiving to say we don't do it anymore, actually.

If the church stopped men being sealed to more than one woman then I would say you could officially say we do not believe in it anymore.

Last edited by lyra33; 10-25-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
The Mormon men who have multiple eternal spouses sure care about it. The living man is here among the living and has two eternal spouses. In his mind, he has two wives, right now while he is alive; it is just that one is beyond the veil.
Many, many non-Mormons men who lose their wife to death feel that they will be with her again, regardless of the wording of their wedding vows. They fall in love again and remarry, just the same as Mormon men do. Some of them have a second marriage that lasts far longer than their first and they hope for a reunion with their second wife in the next life. There really isn't all that much difference.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

And this isn't just some abstract doctrine. I have a sister-in-law who was sealed to a man for time and all eternity. He died, but she is still married eternally to him and thus cannot be married eternally to another man. So, never married, young Mormon men who are looking to get married to a woman for time and all eternity aren't going to want to marry my sister-in-law because they can't have her for eternity. That is an extra obstacle for her in trying to get re-married, so she can have a husband for this life only for the rest of her life.
Let's analyze this:

Sister Jones dearly loves her hubby Brother Jones, but one evening after a long day of temple ceremonies Brother Jones trips at the counter of Crown Burger, impales himself on a pointy midevil looking chair and tragically doesn't get to finish his juicy, delectable pastrami burger.

Sister Jones is heartbroken, but she's still got several decades ahead of her and it just sucks to be single in Utah so eventually she falls for Brother Smith. They live happily until Brother Smith takes a wrong turn in Glendale and finds himself at the wrong end of a Qvo gun. Being a Utahn, he has already acquired his concealed weapons permit from a 7-11 vending machine, but also being a Utahn, he doesn't know how to use his gun and...well... looses the gunfight.

Sister Jones is stoic, pioneer stock, so she faithfully endures her horrible life and never fails to bring the Relief Society centerpiece every Sunday, where she meets Brother Jackson, who thought he could hide there unnoticed during Sacrament Meeting. They eventually fall in love and also make the trip to temple square in their fancy duds, pose on the steps for the traditional barrage of photos and engage in a dark sadistic ritual binding their souls for eternity (Sorry, I'm having too much fun here )

Sister Jones has been through 3 men, and you are gonna tell us she's a polygamist now? How is that different than any other person who's remarried after the death of their spouse but still has feelings for the departed?

Last edited by Chango; 10-25-2011 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality