Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints practice polygamy today?
Yes, definitely. 13 23.64%
Probably. 2 3.64%
Probably not. 4 7.27%
No, definitely not. 30 54.55%
I have absolutely no idea. 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times

Advertisements

^^^ Hilarious!

The answer? Uh...Sister Jones is sealed to Brother Jones unless she has her sealing canceled and she is re-sealed to one of the others.

Rumor has it... that women in this type of situation might get to chose later during the Millennium and everything will be sorted out and made good!

"
The members of the Church will be engaged in performing temple work for the living and the dead. Resurrected beings (those who have passed away) will be able to help the living find the names of their ancestors and correct any mistakes that may have been made.
Through temple work, all of the earthly family will be linked in eternal covenants from generation to generation all the way back to Adam. Those who wish to accept these eternal covenants will have the opportunity to do so. "
Millennium - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I think it's just a touchy subject as it does scare some people away from the church. I also think many members find comfort in the official stance that polygamy is not being practiced.

If you study the Doctrine and Covenants it is quite apparent that this practice is an eternal principal therefore it is very much part of the religion still.

Since the LDS faith puts most of it's emphasis on eternal life I really don't see how you can overlook this and say...we don't practice it, it is gone forever. I think it's somewhat deceiving to say we don't do it anymore, actually.

If the church stopped men being sealed to more than one woman then I would say you could officially say we do not believe in it anymore.
AMEN! Hear, hear!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Many, many non-Mormons men who lose their wife to death feel that they will be with her again, regardless of the wording of their wedding vows. They fall in love again and remarry, just the same as Mormon men do. Some of them have a second marriage that lasts far longer than their first and they hope for a reunion with their second wife in the next life. There really isn't all that much difference.
The difference is it is part of Mormon doctrine and Mormons are actively participating in ceremonies in which they are sealed to multiple spouses forever.

(If someone did not read my earlier posts, a Mormon can only have one living spouse at a time).

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
^^^ Hilarious!

The answer? Uh...Sister Jones is sealed to Brother Jones unless she has her sealing canceled and she is re-sealed to one of the others.

Rumor has it... that women in this type of situation might get to chose later during the Millennium and everything will be sorted out and made good!

"
The members of the Church will be engaged in performing temple work for the living and the dead. Resurrected beings (those who have passed away) will be able to help the living find the names of their ancestors and correct any mistakes that may have been made.
Through temple work, all of the earthly family will be linked in eternal covenants from generation to generation all the way back to Adam. Those who wish to accept these eternal covenants will have the opportunity to do so. "
Millennium - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki
Well, the Anthropological reason would be that the LDS church has developed a coping mechanism to allow people in that situation to deal with it.

I believe the standard church leader response would be: "God knows best and will sort it out, but nobody will be left behind." I personally wouldn't get my hopes up, but for the believer it must be powerful encouragement to help members go on with their lives. I still don't see how that can possibly equate to bald old men Moderator cut: "having sex with" multiple 14 year old "wives" and generally being a weird and backwards fringe element, however...UNLESS, you want to spread some negative opinions about something you don't like...

Last edited by june 7th; 10-26-2011 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Wording.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,934 times
Some do, of course... just as some do for members of any faith of any substantial size. Really, "Do members of the _____ faith practice _____" could be a sentence with virtually any faith and any practice and be true.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Sister Jones has been through 3 men now, and you are gonna tell us she's a polygamist now? How is that different than any other person who's remarried after the death of their spouse but still has feelings for the departed?
As I have consistently written in this thread. A Mormon woman can have no more than one eternal husband. She can have multiple husbands (one at a time) for "time only", meaning this life only, 'til death do they part.

So, she can only have one man in the eternities, sealed on earth and in heaven. The other "time only" husbands are not eternal spouses.

So, technically, she could be married to her eternal companion who is dead and one living "time only" husband at the same time.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
This is a classic example of a push poll. The author clearly has no interest in finding out what people think or know about the "official" Mormon church, he just wants to use the poll to disseminate his particular view.

I know very well that the present official stance of the church is to prohibit polygamy. I believe that most Americans also know this.

I also know that the official stance is to pretend that the various polygamist sects are schismatic splinter groups, even though we know that the official church did, in fact, send out its own followers to Mexico and Canada to maintain polygamy when it was forced to give it up here in the United States.

In short, there are only two reasons the official church no longer sanctions polygamy:
1. It was an impediment to Utah's admission to the Union.
2. It would be bad PR for them to publicly support it in the present day.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is a classic example of a push poll. The author clearly has no interest in finding out what people think or know about the "official" Mormon church, he just wants to use the poll to disseminate his particular view.

I know very well that the present official stance of the church is to prohibit polygamy. The official stance is also to pretend that the various polygamist sects are schismatic splinter groups, even though we know that the official church did, in fact, send out its own followers to Mexico and Canada to maintain polygamy when it was forced to give it up here in the United States.

In short, there are only two reasons the official church no longer sanctions polygamy:
1. It was an impediment to Utah's admission to the Union.
2. It would be bad PR for them to publicly support it in the present day.
Is this so? I am shocked-- SHOCKED!

Imagine! A religious organization is doing something for political reasons!

I must go lie down now. I am feeling faint at this stunning revelation...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Good. I'm Married to Rita Hayworth, Cleopatra and Marge Simpson. I said so. It's written down right here on this webpage!

Am I a polygamist now?
Uhh..no.

I, as an atheist, of course, don't believe in any of this eternal marriage stuff. But, this thread is about the mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And those that believe that the Prophet has the power to seal couples together on earth and in heaven believe he has the authority to marry men to multiple women for time and all eternity. Those so sealed fully expect to have all of those wives with them forever.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Uhh..no.

I, as an atheist, of course, don't believe in any of this eternal marriage stuff. But, this thread is about the mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And those that believe that the Prophet has the power to seal couples together on earth and in heaven believe he has the authority to marry men to multiple women for time and all eternity. Those so sealed fully expect to have all of those wives with them forever.
And I, also as an agno-atheist say it's all made up and I don't believe in it either.

But mormonism is most definitely not the same institution it was 100+ years ago. The world is constantly changing and our institutions evolve along with it. So it is patently false to say Mormons alive today and going to (real)LDS chapels are polygamists. It just is. You can't say what anything IS by looking purely at what it was, especially if they aren't doing what they used to anymore in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality