U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,966,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
I'll stick a LOL in anyhow. Mr. Schelling.
I don't know whats going on with you so I'll just say o.k. I'am not quite sure why you took offense to my post but I have no reward in telling 'we' what to do about anything except eugenics and that's what this all boils down to for me end the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,304,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I don't know whats going on with you so I'll just say o.k. I'am not quite sure why you took offense to my post but I have no reward in telling 'we' what to do about anything except eugenics and that's what this all boils down to for me end the end.

But why are you so impatient?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
But why are you so impatient?
o.k. I'll wait for what I do not know but I have a few moments to spare so get on with it.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM

31,384 posts, read 29,073,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
All humans do think very similar but the details of these myth are just too similar.
In what way?

Chinese:

The universe was like a big black egg, carrying Pan Gu inside itself. After 18 thousand years Pan Gu woke from a long sleep. He felt suffocated, so he took up a broadax and wielded it with all his might to crack open the egg. The light, clear part of it floated up and formed the heavens, the cold, turbid matter stayed below to form earth.

Scandinavian:

Then the ice-melt formed a cow, named Audhumla. Four rivers of milk flowed from her and fed Ymir. Audhumla nourished herself by licking the salty blocks of ice all around. By the end of her first day she had uncovered the hair of a head. By the end of her second day the whole head was exposed, and by the end of a third day there was a complete man, His name was Buri, and he was strong and handsome. Buri had a son named Bor, who married Bestla, the daughter of one of the frost giants. Bor and Bestla had three sons: Odin, Vili and Ve.

Fans:

It was the Nzame part of the god that created the universe and the earth, and brought life to it. While the three parts of Nzame were admiring this creation, it was decided to create a ruler for the earth. So was created the elephant, the leopard, and the monkey, but it was decided that something better had to be created. Between the three of them they made a new creature in their image, and called him Fam (power), and told him to rule the earth. Before long, Fam grew arrogant, he mistreated the animals and stopped worshipping Nzame.

If you search for others the only similarity is that some anthropomorphic being or local animal woke up one day and decided to create the universe and man by commonly observed sources, lighting, dirt, water or the sky.

Quote:
They are based on some sort of common truth.
The only apparent common truth is a need for humans to give and explanation for their existence through usually formed out of some naturally occurring animal or substance.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,329,861 times
All these world myths are like multiple trips back to the well of what Carl Jung called the collective unconscious. I don't know about anyone else but I am fascinated by them, not because I consider them to be solid journalism or good science but because of all the connections one can make between cultures and their stories.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
All these world myths are like multiple trips back to the well of what Carl Jung called the collective unconscious. I don't know about anyone else but I am fascinated by them, not because I consider them to be solid journalism or good science but because of all the connections one can make between cultures and their stories.
Of course.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

31,384 posts, read 29,073,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It seems that we are leaving out one critical component. If recent discoveries regarding human migration, then it would be remarkable that creation myths amongst various disparate cultures would not be somewhat similar being passed down of thousands of generations as man spread out across the globe.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Of course.
My advice to anyoe wishing to better appreciate Judeo-Christian mythology is to read other cultural and religious myths.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,304,360 times
The book of Love by Elvis Presley,

Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The only apparent common truth is a need for humans to give and explanation for their existence through usually formed out of some naturally occurring animal or substance.
"Freethinking" is highly overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality