Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I wasnt raised in a Christian home and wanted to become an Atheist when i was in my teen years . After 10 adult years of atheism , I left it for Theism and ultimately The Christian Faith BECAUSE of the logic , reason, rationale , and scientific proofs for a personal theistic Creator/Designer/Sustainer....so its interesting how our paths took a different turn isnt it ?
I doubt you were ever an atheist. You don't seem to understand what atheism is and what atheists believe (or do not believe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I was pointing out or attempting to point out that because a source is ancient does not invalidate it.

I have a natural gift for explaining the easy in impossible to understand ways. I apologize for any confusion.

LOL

The apology is mine. I wasn't attempting to imply that the fact it was old necessitated that it was incorrect.

However, using a collection of books about God to prove God's existence would be a bit intellectually dishonest, no?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
LOL

The apology is mine. I wasn't attempting to imply that the fact it was old necessitated that it was incorrect.

However, using a collection of books about God to prove God's existence would be a bit intellectually dishonest, no?
Dishonest may be a bit too strong, erroneous yes, ineffective yes but probably not dishonest in most cases.

It is a poor argument at best to use any source that is not mutually accepted as a valid source for all parties involved in a debate.

It would be fair and understandable if I use the Qur'an as a source to point out what I think is an error by another Muslim. It would be fair for a Christian to use the Bible to point out what they see as an error by another Christian. ETC

But it is not reasonable for either of us to use our scriptures to prove the existence of God(swt) if the other party does not see our scriptures as valid.

When the source is used to prove the source, it often results in gibberish.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They must? There is nothing defining about atheists that compels them to offer anything. Sorry you can't understand that.

Secondly, any particular atheist is free anything he wants. Or not. Of the few that I know personally, none belongs to any organization, so there is no "we" to believe anything.

If you are assuming that I speak from my own experiences, be sure you understand that I never have and never will post what I believe for myself in a public forum.
Nearly all the atheists ive encountered (when i was one myself as well as after that) ... do not try to justify or explain why their atheist worldview is credible. Ergo, one has to conclude that they are atheists not based on scientific evidences, but rather, for personal philosophical reasons .

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"Scientists have no proof that life was not the result of an act of creation." (Jastrow, Robert, The Enchanted Loom: Mind In the Universe, 1981, p. 19)

The complete quote below...

Compliments of Quote Mine Project: "Miscellaneous"
Obviously, Jastrow changed his mind based on the scientific evidence since he wrote that book in 1981. See his final book before his death called God and the Astronomers....his book which concludes what ALL the Sciences are pointing to '....the Scientist has scaled the mountain of ignorance and he is about to pull himself over the final rock , only to find a band of Theologians who have been sitting there for centurys reading in the beginning GOD created the heavens and the earth' . And this from an agnostic Author and highly esteemed Scientist .

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Nearly all the atheists ive encountered (when i was one myself as well as after that) ... do not try to justify or explain why their atheist worldview is credible. Ergo, one has to conclude that they are atheists not based on scientific evidences, but rather, for personal philosophical reasons .
These two sentences have got to be some of the biggest bunch of bovine feces ever posted to C-D. And not even worthy of a thought out reply. Some things are just to moronic to respond to in intelligent way and deserve naught but ridicule.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Argument from Authority much? Simply pointing out some people who agree with you does not constitute an argument. We are rarely interested in WHO believes an idea but WHY they believe it and so simply pointing out a single author adds nothing to anything. I do not care what his profession is, his experience is or his ego is.... I still have the same question: "What evidence, argument, data or reasons are on offer to substantiate the claim there is a god?"

And simply saying "Here is the name of a single scientist who says there is a god....." is not an answer. It is in fact the very opposite of an answer. It is an attempt to avoid answering by providing irrelevant data.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I doubt you were ever an atheist. You don't seem to understand what atheism is and what atheists believe (or do not believe).
Well, youd be wrong for doubting ; not only do i know what the atheist worldview looks like, but i know why it is psuedo-science , why One must continue to embrace it ; In short, im not only familiar with atheism from a worldview standpoint, but also from a psychology standpoint . Not only did I completely buy into Naturalism and Materialism as explanations for my atheist worldview, but i personally overtly demonstrated behavior which is congruent with an atheist lifestyle . Some of these included : Mocking God, mocking Christians, reminding people who believe in God that they do so because they need a crutch and cant stand on their own two feet, fluent usage of the 'F' word without restraint in public places , a very self seeking lifestyle including most forms of pleasurable immorality , frequent portrayal of despair from being told theres no ultimate purpose or meaning to life / my life , and trying to convince myself that everything is essentially one big cosmic accident and the only thing of 'value' was trying to must up all the gusto to life that i possibly could in the shortest amount of time possible ---------- exactly what pop american culture has become .

Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
So you were an awful person. That is nothing to do with atheism. That was all you no matter how desperately you try to shift the blame.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
These two sentences have got to be some of the biggest bunch of bovine feces ever posted to C-D. And not even worthy of a thought out reply. Some things are just to moronic to respond to in intelligent way and deserve naught but ridicule.
For you to react this way, it must have had a great ring of truth to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality