Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think someone who senses something greater and is searching should explore all religions and not the ones which are conveniently nearby or religions that her friends are in.

There are parts of each religion that are liberating and other parts which are cultish. I think it is wise to glean the good and toss the rest to one side.

Many converts stay loyal for a time but then start to realize the faults in the adopted religion just as they did with the old one.

Islam is supposed to be the fastest growing religion the world over but would not be so if they dropped off their rolls people who converted and just gave it up.
Sorry but we have no rolls. Most Mosques have no listing of who attends. We have no joining procedure. a person either says they are Muslim or they don't. World figures especially in western countries are very difficult to obtain. Typically just an estimate based upon the estimate number of people who attend Friday Mosque prayers. The estimates may be low in the USA as many of us do not live close enough to a Mosque for Friday prayers Also women are not under any obligation to attend prayer at a Mosque, the number of female Muslims is even more difficult to estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:59 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Default What do you think of Christians that convert to Islam?

I think they probably have been exposed to someone like Wood who plays a very beautiful game of atypical Islam . . . I'm tempted to call it WIslam . . . pun intended.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:04 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Sorry but we have no rolls. Most Mosques have no listing of who attends. We have no joining procedure. a person either says they are Muslim or they don't. World figures especially in western countries are very difficult to obtain. Typically just an estimate based upon the estimate number of people who attend Friday Mosque prayers. The estimates may be low in the USA as many of us do not live close enough to a Mosque for Friday prayers Also women are not under any obligation to attend prayer at a Mosque, the number of female Muslims is even more difficult to estimate.

Actually the mosque I am familiar with did have memberships and did keep a roll of members. When you convert in that mosque you are given a certificate that states you are a muslim and when you converted and signed by the officials of the mosque, and the Imam.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if he is a billionaire and u r already an atheist nbd.
if u are a bored rock star and an atheist nbd.
if u r from bagdad and if you dont convert from orthodox to islam they will slit your throat, its a very big deal.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think they probably have been exposed to someone like Wood who plays a very beautiful game of atypical Islam . . . I'm tempted to call it WIslam . . . pun intended.
I actually think I am quite typical for a Sunni who follows the Hanafi Madhab.

Although I must admit for enjoyment I I enjoyed the first few months as a Muslim and I followed the Sufi. Sufi'ism makes me look like an extremist. Talk about liberal, meet a Sufi someday.

But, I do find the Sufi to be among the most peace loving people I have ever met and the most liberal. If I did not disagree with their practice of venerating Saints I would probably still be a Sufi Muslim.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The expression "from the frying pan into the fire" comes to mind.
well i see it as turning off the bake setting>> to broil

Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Actually the mosque I am familiar with did have memberships and did keep a roll of members. When you convert in that mosque you are given a certificate that states you are a muslim and when you converted and signed by the officials of the mosque, and the Imam.
Must be a new thing at the larger Islamic Centers.

I have never been in a Mosque where any type of roll is kept..Possible pressure from the Government to keep track of us??? I might just be paranoid.

However I understand that many Muslims do ask their local Imam for verification they are Muslim as a person must prove they are Muslim to enter Makkah and Medinah for Hajj.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I don't care what religion a person wants to be, as long as it lives by the golden rule, and advocates a positive personal enlightenment.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Must be a new thing at the larger Islamic Centers.

I have never been in a Mosque where any type of roll is kept..Possible pressure from the Government to keep track of us??? I might just be paranoid.

However I understand that many Muslims do ask their local Imam for verification they are Muslim as a person must prove they are Muslim to enter Makkah and Medinah for Hajj.

Mosques need money to cover their expenses and people join and what they pay goes towards the upkeep of the mosque. In order to send your child to religious school at the mosque you need to be a member.

It is no different then other religious places ie a church or synagogue.

Yes I think you are a bit paranoid...

Any institution that wants to be tax free has to jump through some hoops to have that and I am sure that mosques want to be tax free too.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
I actually think I am quite typical for a Sunni who follows the Hanafi Madhab.
Although I must admit for enjoyment I I enjoyed the first few months as a Muslim and I followed the Sufi. Sufi'ism makes me look like an extremist. Talk about liberal, meet a Sufi someday.
But, I do find the Sufi to be among the most peace loving people I have ever met and the most liberal. If I did not disagree with their practice of venerating Saints I would probably still be a Sufi Muslim.
I do love you brother . . . and I truly wish your brand of Islam was the real deal for the majority . . . but I am not convinced by a long shot. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality