Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times

Advertisements

I was very pro-abortion when I was young and could bear children but after my daughter having to have a medical abortion because the baby died in the womb, the thought of abortion makes me ill. I would never deny a woman to the choice of having an abortion and I believe, still, that women have that right, but I just am so saddened by abortion now. I miscarried a baby and was okay after but my daughter having to have a medical abortion was one of the hardest things I have had to deal with. Funny, daughter was coping better than Nana was. The doctor sent home books that dealt with that and I was glad to see I wasn't the only grandparent who had moured.

Now I think abortion is the last resort a woman should take but it is between her and her conscienous (sp). I would never deny a woman to have one.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
You must value convenience a lot, since you seem to support 93% of abortions - mothers killing their babies - for the reason their lack of proper birth control resulted in a pregnancy & is "inconvenient" for them.

lol You were blaming God - surely you must have some reason to put the blame on God. Otherwise, why would you? At least I recognize that God is often used as an illusional coping strategy - ie "BLAME."

I consider God to be about GOoD... What is good? Is it good to kill a baby that is growing - or is it good to honor & nurture life?
What about you, Annie?
Do you honor & nurture your life? Or do you seek to kill it?
I do not blame "God" because I do not believe in gods. It is the people who do believe in "God" that use him as a crutch to help them deal with life.

People who do believe in "God" cherrypick what they choose to believe. They mold him to conveniently explain away things in life they cannot deal with on their own. They mold him to conveniently back up their personal views on life.

Do I honor and nurture my life? Of course I do. My life is more important than an organism that isn't even capable of thinking or feeling.

Pregnancy is hardly an "inconvieniance". It is a major, life changing, body changing event.....that no one should be forced into against their will.

Why should I suffer permanent, unwanted changes to my body, or suffer life-threatening complications and even death, suffer financially.....just because of a BC failure? Why should I allow some unthinking, unfeeling organism to turn my life upside down? Who is going to take care of me and pay my bills when I can no longer work because of a pregnancy? Who is going to mow the yard and shovel the snow and carry in 40 lb. containers of cat litter, etc. for me? Who is going to take care of me when I am disabled because of a pregnancy? No one, that is who.

Pregnancy isn't a mere inconvenience.....it is a horrible burden......a life threatening burden.

Children should be brought into this world because they are going to be loved and wanted......not because they are a mistake that is going to be looked upon as an unwanted burden.

You can't force love.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
It is a poverty that to decide that A CHILD MUST DIE so that you may live as you wish.
--Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Abortion is inherently different from other medical procedures because no other procedure involves the purposeful termination of a potential life." - Potter Stewart

Pro-life Anti-Abortion Video: Development of the Unborn Baby - YouTube
Again, I must point up the selectivity of this image.

I had a look at foetal development last night and I wonder whether one could get so defensive about the thing with gills and a tail?

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-...nt-800x800.jpg

where, pro - lifers, would you lay down your life or even convenience. to protect that of the first frew blobs?

http://pregnancycareguide.com/images...evelopment.jpg

Sorry you have to click. someone showed me how to embed images, but I forgot. Btw - the God - debate is surely going off - topic.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Apologies if this has been asked before SuperSoul, but rather than make me read through 12 pages, would you answer, please?
Are there any circumstances when you do condone abortion?
If so, what are they?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Same people who are for the death penalty for criminals of various stripes support forcing women to carry fetuses to term because they think they can decide for those women.
I actually think this is a very relevant point. How can anyone call themselves pro-life if they support the death penalty and war? That is NOT the definition of pro-life. They use the title to make themselves feel superior. What they are is anti-abortion. Anyone who is against abortion, the death penalty and war is pro-life but just human life unless they are vegetarian. I won't get into the whole plants being alive thing. Philosophically, it's just not as simple as some people try to make it, and I'm glad you brought up the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Have any of you read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood?
Loved that book.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
For the record, I believe in a woman's right to choose, however, I believe her right to choose begins with the act that creates the pregnancy. So many woman want to talk about their right to make a choice but then don't want to take responsibility for the choices that they do make. If she choose to engage in the act that got her pregnant, than she had a choice in the matter. I know there are always extenuating circumstances, but we as a society really need to start looking at what stage we start examining and taking seriously the choices we make in life.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Abortion for most women is not an issue of *convenience.*
According to Abortions Statistics, for 93% of abortions - killing an innocent life is justified because it's "inconvenient."
Abortion Statistics

Quote:
It may be that the pregnancy endangers the physical or mental health of the woman.
For physical complications or in the case of rape/incest it's only 7% of abortions.
However, we should discuss the mental effects on women AFTER they have had their child killed through abortion.
Women who have abortions 'face double the risk of mental health problems' | Mail Online

Quote:
It may be that there is no way for the woman to care for a child (partly because the men in her life will not help). Adoption is often not possible.
There are so many couples who are well-qualified to be parents who are on WAITING LISTS to adopt babies.

Quote:
Look how many children are out there who need homes. Child abuse is certainly worse than abortion in the case of many children, too.
Those children are in foster care, they have homes. And many foster parents end up legally adopting their foster children.
Quote:
Bringing an unwanted child into the world is simply not a good thing...
Killing a child just out of inconvenience is not a good thing.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
What I find repugnant is men who rabidly protest abortion rights . . . I wonder about their motivations . . . live, and let live and keep your nose out of other people's business.

In the end, it is a highly personal decision that a WOMAN will make regarding who takes up residence in HER body.

Edit: And the phrase "live and let live" is meant partially tongue-in-cheek, and partially as a statement about independent viability.

Last edited by imcurious; 11-27-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I do not blame "God" because I do not believe in gods. It is the people who do believe in "God" that use him as a crutch to help them deal with life.

People who do believe in "God" cherrypick what they choose to believe. They mold him to conveniently explain away things in life they cannot deal with on their own. They mold him to conveniently back up their personal views on life.
You know, disrespecting others, making fun of them for their beliefs is against forum rules.

Quote:
Do I honor and nurture my life? Of course I do. My life is more important than an organism that isn't even capable of thinking or feeling.
Stop trying to justfy killing a human life...
Stages of human development in the womb:
18 days - heart begins to beat.
21 days - pumps own blood through separate closed circulatory system with own blood type.
28 days - eye, ear and respiratory system begin to form.
42 days - brain waves recorded, skeleton complete, reflexes present.
7 weeks - photo of thumbsucking, pain sensors are evident
8 weeks - all body systems present.
9 weeks - squints, swallows, moves tongue, makes fist.
11 weeks - spontaneous breathing movements, has fingernails, all body systems working.
16 weeks - genital organs clearly differentiated, grasps with hands, swims, kicks, turns, somersaults, (still not felt by the mother.)
18 weeks - vocal cords work – can cry.

Furthermore, Chairman of the Department of Genetics at the Mayo Clinic, said: "By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception."

Quote:
Pregnancy is hardly an "inconvieniance". It is a major, life changing, body changing event.....that no one should be forced into against their will.
A baby should not be forced to die because of a mother/father's lack of humane birth control.

Quote:
Why should I suffer permanent, unwanted changes to my body, or suffer life-threatening complications and even death, suffer financially.....just because of a BC failure? Why should I allow some unthinking, unfeeling organism to turn my life upside down? Who is going to take care of me and pay my bills when I can no longer work because of a pregnancy? Who is going to mow the yard and shovel the snow and carry in 40 lb. containers of cat litter, etc. for me? Who is going to take care of me when I am disabled because of a pregnancy?
You should've considered that when engaging in sex - the only 100% guaranteed birth control is ABSTINENCE. If you're not ready to get pregnant & morally handle it, then don't have sex.
It's not the baby's fault - so don't kill it.
If you saw all the 42,000,000 dead baby bodies killed by abortion each year, stacked up like holocaust victims - maybe then you'd realize what a sick trend this is.

Quote:
Pregnancy isn't a mere inconvenience.....it is a horrible burden......a life threatening burden.
So, you kill another life because of a burden caused by irresponsibility?
Do you realize how dysfunctional that thinking is?

Quote:
Children should be brought into this world because they are going to be loved and wanted......not because they are a mistake that is going to be looked upon as an unwanted burden.

You can't force love.
Indeed. That is why many mothers give their baby the gift of BOTH LIFE & ADOPTION. There are many parents on waiting lists to adopt a baby.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before SuperSoul, but rather than make me read through 12 pages, would you answer, please?
Are there any circumstances when you do condone abortion?
If so, what are they?
If there are medical risks to the mother's life, if she were to continue the pregnancy, then abortion may be necessary.
If a woman becomes pregnant by rape or incest, maybe also - however, some women would never have their baby killed - even then.

Oldcold, the distrubing aspect of abortion statistics - is that these cases which I'd consider abortion acceptable - only account for 7% of abortions performed.
93% of killing by abortion are because of inconvenient & unwanted pregnancy - irresponsible birth control by killing.
As Woodrow mentioned, what's most needed to solve this, is for people, starting as teens, to learn responsible sexual behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality