Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM

701 posts, read 800,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Being a victim of failed birth control is not a lack of responsibility.....it is an accident. Even sterilization has been known to fail. Would you call that person irresponsible?

Aborting a pregnancy you do not want is a reponsible thing to do.

Abortion does not kill babies.....it removes/kills an unwanted fetus.

You love quoating scientists that agree with your agenda, then you must acknowledge there is a reason scientists refer to them as fetuses and not babies.

The reason is.....a fetus is not a baby.

Quote:
fetus |ˈfētəs | noun
an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
That is straight from the dictionary. Fetus does not mean, non-human, or non-baby, it simply notes the stage of a babies developement.

Based on your reasoning some parents would argue that killing their unwanted children is better than putting them up for adoption or just abandoning them. Tell yourself whatever you want, but killing a fetus is killing a child, it just accomplishes it at an earlier stage of the developement process.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Nana,
Chairman of the Department of Genetics at the Mayo Clinic, said: "By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception."
Appeals to authority do not move me. Life is present. The fetus, however, is not a human being. It is a potential human being. It is a parasite on the mother's body.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Wow!! Selfish much? Hmmmm, go without meat for 9 months or give a person life? let me think. No sports for 9 months or give a person life? Hmmm yeah that seems like a tough call.

I never want to trivialise what a woman goes through during 9 months of pregnancy, but please don't trivialise the process that creates life. Women have the power to give life, and that is an awesome responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility, than it should be your right to have a procedure done that takes away that ability. If not than you have to be more responsible with what you do with your body. The same goes for men, if they don't want to have the ability to create life than they should see to it that their ability to create life is removed. If they do not then they too need to be far more mindful of what they do with their body as well.
You don't want to trivialize pregnancy, yet you are one of many who repeatedly refer to it as an "inconvenience".

Pregnancy is a huge burden.....it permanently changes a womans body....and not in a good way. It can be life-threatening. It is uncomfortable.....even painful at times, let alone the horrible pain and suffering of actually giving birth. It is very expensive. There is nothing good about it unless you want a child.

I am selfish? How about you giving up all of the "goodies" you surround yourself with and feed starving children with the money you save? If you don't....I guess I could call you selfish, couldn't I?

What would you call someone who would spend money on two or three big screen TVs when that money could feed starving children somewhere? SELFISH.

Do you wear a $10 watch or a $100 dollar watch? How many starving children could be fed with that $90.....WOW.....how SELFISH of you!

See how that works?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM

701 posts, read 800,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You don't want to trivialize pregnancy, yet you are one of many who repeatedly refer to it as an "inconvenience".

Pregnancy is a huge burden.....it permanently changes a womans body....and not in a good way. It can be life-threatening. It is uncomfortable.....even painful at times, let alone the horrible pain and suffering of actually giving birth. It is very expensive. There is nothing good about it unless you want a child.

I am selfish? How about you giving up all of the "goodies" you surround yourself with and feed starving children with the money you save? If you don't....I guess I could call you selfish, couldn't I?

What would you call someone who would spend money on two or three big screen TVs when that money could feed starving children somewhere? SELFISH.

Do you wear a $10 watch or a $100 dollar watch? How many starving children could be fed with that $90.....WOW.....how SELFISH of you!

See how that works?

OK, touché. But just for the record, I don't wear a watch, and give 15% of every paycheck to a nonprofit organization.

I understand the serious side of pregnancy, and unlike some, I don't think that a woman should continue a pregnancy that is putting her life in physical danger. A child should not be allowed to kill their parent at any stage of their developement, any more than a parent be allowed to kill their child. When the decision has to be made by one for the other, then the mother of course gets the final word there.

I belive that in the end the ultimate decision a woman makes is between her and God. He knows the heart of every person. I do think that if we as a society viewed sex as seriously(not necessarily as negatively) as you view pregnancy, this world would be a far better place.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Nana,
Chairman of the Department of Genetics at the Mayo Clinic, said: "By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception."
Big deal and a big duh.
Life does not equal a viable fetus.

Remove it and see if it survives without the parasitic relationship with the host.

Quote:
Annie,
YOU OWE the human becoming life you decided to create - to let he or she live!
Nobody owes you anything.
Since slavery, we don't sell human beings. True, adoption processes come close, as do seregate mothers.
Still, if you're not interested in carrying a baby, then don't agree to such seregacy nor to having sex - which always has the risk of pregnancy.
Garbage.
Neither she nor any other woman owes a fetus anything.
This emotional hyperbole "human becoming life" is silly, disingenuous and deceitful; it's used to control others.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Abortion is a women's right.
Murder is no one's "right".

Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Abortion is "right" only when the choice is between losing the baby or the mother.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Well, Bideshi, seems that the US Supreme Court disagrees with you.

Don't want one, don't have one.
But you have no right to tell me what to do with my body.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Human BECOMING at 18 WEEKS.
You tried this trick in the thread already and I answered it. You of course ignored the post where I answered it, waited a few days, and tried the same trick again.

So I will simply copy and paste that post again.

Not sure what your point is. What does how it LOOKS have to do with anything I am saying? A mannequin looks even more human than what is in that picture and you are not worried about that. An entirely and irredeemably brain dead human lying on a hospital bed is just a human shaped empty vessel. So is what you just showed in your picture.

Remember some areas of the US allow it up until week 24. So my position is hardly controversial. In fact if I were given the pen to write the law tomorrow I would be inclined to set it to 16 weeks for various reasons I gave before, but 20 is also fine with me.

You, and people like you who show photos and even abortion photos are just attempting an "Appeal to emotion" argument. You have no arguments to make so you attempt instead to appeal to the emotions of the other side. Well I am sorry, pictures of a fetus or an aborted fetus are not going to change a position I reached rationally and carefully after reading 100s of studies, many books and talking to many medical professionals.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Oldcold,
Possibly it would be acceptable in those situations.
So, therefore, every fetus or every circumstance is not the same in your opinion.
I have never understood why a baby conceived by rape or incest is not as innocent or valuable as one conceived any other way.
A child with a potential defect of one type has less rights than one with another type.
A woman raped should not have to suffer any more than she already has but a woman whose entire life is going to have to change gets no sympathy........and the baby is expendable in this case.
If some of you could get honest with yourselves you would see that you pick and choose what is right and moral only according to your own bias, level of tolerence or personal acceptance
If irresponsibilty and/or carelessness should be allowed no remedy than perhaps any injuries from such behavior should go untreated......disability payments from contributory behavior should be eliminated.
Or is sexual behavior the only one where 100% perfection is expected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality