Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
More reason for proper birth control.
If one does not even want a chance of becoming pregnant, either they should remain celibate (not have sex) or get an operation done that makes it so they can never procreate.

Simple. And much moral than killing.

Yea, simple.....if you can find a doctor who will do it. You will be hard pressed to find a doctor who will sterilize anyone under 30, especially if you are a woman and don't already have children.

BTW - the term "inconvenience" was gathered from the 93% of mothers' reason for killing/aborting their babies, in abortion statistics.
"93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient)."
Abortion Statistics
As to your link.....consider the source......highly biased, to say the least.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Hummm...still haven't addressed the fact that you do allow a poor sweet innocent baby to have it's head yanked off as long as mommy was an unwilling sexual partner

Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hummm...still haven't addressed the fact that you do allow a poor sweet innocent baby to have it's head yanked off as long as mommy was an unwilling sexual partner
Exactly. And most people rambling on against abortion would think it "morally permissible" in such cases.

Hypocrisy 101.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
I really don't get the middle ground argument when it comes to abortion. It seems like you should be either against it completely, or for it completely.

If you believe truly that abortion is the destruction of a sentient human child, than it wouldn't matter if that child was a product of rape, incest, etc. It's still a child, and killing it would still be murder.

If you believe that abortion is the destruction of a fetus and is only the removal of a clump of cells, it shouldn't matter if a woman opts to use it as her primary method of birth control. Having one abortion would be no more immoral than having fifty.

It seems like people try to straddle the line of this one, and I can't quite wrap my head around it. So it is murder- unless the father was a rapist? Or it is just cells, but shouldn't be used just for birth control?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM

701 posts, read 800,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I really don't get the middle ground argument when it comes to abortion. It seems like you should be either against it completely, or for it completely.

If you believe truly that abortion is the destruction of a sentient human child, than it wouldn't matter if that child was a product of rape, incest, etc. It's still a child, and killing it would still be murder.

If you believe that abortion is the destruction of a fetus and is only the removal of a clump of cells, it shouldn't matter if a woman opts to use it as her primary method of birth control. Having one abortion would be no more immoral than having fifty.

It seems like people try to straddle the line of this one, and I can't quite wrap my head around it. So it is murder- unless the father was a rapist? Or it is just cells, but shouldn't be used just for birth control?
I think that some of the issue circles around how people define murder. Many define murder as simply another word for killing when it is not. The key element in defining murder, is the motive/intent behind the killing. A man who shoots/kills an armed intruder, who is about to kill his family, is not a murderer. He most certainly killed a person but he did not murder him. Killing a person, even an unborn one, is sometimes the lesser of two evils.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
I think that some of the issue circles around how people define murder. Many define murder as simply another word for killing when it is not. The key element in defining murder, is the motive/intent behind the killing. A man who shoots/kills an armed intruder, who is about to kill his family, is not a murderer. He most certainly killed a person but he did not murder him. Killing a person, even an unborn one, is sometimes the lesser of two evils.
Killing an innocent person on purpose is always murder (if an unborn baby is defined as a person having rights as such, it's obviously innocent and not involved in any crime -in the woman's rape, in this case-).

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Intention is an important consideration.

I value & honor all babies & see no reason for killing an unborn child, unless to continue the pregnancy would likely harm the mother. I realize there are extraordinary, rare circumstances - medically & psychologically. Yet, these account for the reason of only 7% of abortions.
The majority (93%) of the 4,000,000 abortions each year, are done because the pregnancy is "inconvenient." This latter majority group using killing as immoral & irresponsible birth-control is my concern.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Intention is an important consideration.

I value & honor all babies & see no reason for killing an unborn child, unless to continue the pregnancy would likely harm the mother. I realize there are extraordinary, rare circumstances - medically & psychologically. Yet, these account for the reason of only 7% of abortions.
The majority (93%) of the 4,000,000 abortions each year, are done because the pregnancy is "inconvenient." This latter majority group using killing as immoral & irresponsible birth-control is my concern.
So if a neighbour's presence severely disturbs me, although he's done nothing to me at all (but perhaps he reminds me too much of someone who raped me), do I have the right to kill him?

What about a baby boy who was the result of a rape and was just born? The mother has found out that the baby resembles the rapist and she feels she can't bear it. Can we kill that baby too?

The truth here is that most people won't give the unborn baby personhood status (and rights) if the woman was forced to have sex, but will quickly cry murder if an abortion is performed for any other reason. Which is absurd: you're either a person with autonomous value who deserves treatment as such (overriding the mother's lack of willingness to carry on with an undesired pregnancy, not as punishment but because your society believes in the rights of fetuses), or you're not.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Celebrities say, Abortion Hurts Woman, that Roe vs. Wade is Wrong

Patricia Heaton: (of Everybody Loves Ramond) "Indeed the tragedy of abortion haunts women from all walks of life. Abortion advocates are spending millions to package their tired rhetoric and half-truths in cutting-edge advertising campaigns targeted to young women. Please join me in supporting FFL's efforts to provide complete information, practical resources, and true choices through the College Outreach program."

Mel Gibson: "God is the only one who knows how many children we should have, and we should be ready to accept them. One can't decide for oneself who comes into this world and who doesn't. That decision doesn't belong to us."

Kathy Ireland: "I was once pro-choice and the thing that changed my mind was, I read my husband's biology books, medical books, and what I learned . . . At the moment of conception, a life starts. And this life has its own unique set of DNA, which contains a blueprint for the whole genetic makeup. The sex is determined. We know there's a life because it's growing and changing."

Margaret Colin:
"We marched here to support all women and to protest the violence against them, legislated by Roe v. Wade. And while many will remember the 40 million [aborted] American children that were never born, I want us to also remember the 25 million women and girls in America today who have personally experienced an abortion."
"And we remember the women who have been rendered infertile or died from legal but lethal abortions…This is violence against women…This is the failure of our American society to help and protect women."

Lakita Garth: (Former Miss Black America) "If you're pregnant, don't compound the problem by seeking an abortion. Getting an abortion doesn't solve anything. You are much better off in that situation to put the baby up for adoption because you might be able to help a couple that can't have children." Regarding saving sex for marriage, Lakita says: "I look forward to the day I can look my husband in the face and say, 'I loved you before I even knew you. I saved myself just for you.' "

Mother Teresa: "The greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion, which is war against the child. The mother doesn't learn to love, but kills to solve her own problems. Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want."

President Ronald Regan: "Simple morality dictates that unless and until someone can prove the unborn human is not alive, we must give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it is (alive). And, thus, it should be entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Celebrities say, Abortion Hurts Woman, that Roe vs. Wade is Wrong
Opinions are like asses, we all have one.

Who cares what celebrities think?

What matters is the fact that abortion is legal in this country (and many other countries).

If a women feels she can't have an abortion due to her moral issue with it, then fine, she shouldn't have one. But why should her opinion or anyone else's opinion decide what is right for me? It shouldn't. It isn't anyone else's business what I choose to do legally.

All I have read so far are a bunch of highly emotive arguments, half of them not even true.

If people feel so strongly about abortion then go help the women who have their baby and can't look after it because they're too poor/psychologically damaged/raped/unable to cope. Offer to pay for that kids college fees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality