Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This sounds more like an argument from ignorance. Just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean god is the answer.
No . . . that is the straw man version. It is an argument from power and scope . . . not just inscrutability. Relative to us puny insignificant creatures on a planet circling an insignificant Sun in a backwater arm in one of billions of galaxies . . . what else would it be if not God???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM

386 posts, read 232,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because God is the only concept that truly captures the power and scope of what is not explained or explainable . . . "natural" sure as hell doesn't cover it.Concern over the specific beliefs about God are straw men concerns. People believe all sorts of crap . . . none of which invalidates the power and scope of our inscrutable God.
I have more power in my little finger than all the gods that ever came down the pike, including yours.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
the gods have infinite mental energy.

they have more power in their little finger than any mortal.

accordincg to the greeks they defeated the titans.

reason overcame brute force.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
I have more power in my little finger than all the gods that ever came down the pike, including yours.
Your little finger is more powerful than what is responsible for the very existence of our reality????? Wow!!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
the gods have infinite mental energy.

they have more power in their little finger than any mortal.

accordincg to the greeks they defeated the titans.

reason overcame brute force.
Can anyone post a photograph taken within the last week of one of these gods - anyone, any god.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Your little finger is more powerful than what is responsible for the very existence of our reality????? Wow!!
Incorrect, dare I say, "still".

Allow me to clear the fog. No, I don't have more power than "nature" (the force that made the Universe), just more than the gods that you guys dream up (which is all of them).

Do you have any empirical evidence whatsoever to make your case? Recent photograph, Chest X-Ray etc., of your god??

Didn't think so.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
You miss the point. There is no such thing as "natural" or "naturalistic causes." That is a name selected to cover our ignorance and to avoid having to refer to God.
So, eliminate those and what are we left with? The supernatural, which you have often told me you do not believe in? What else is there?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
The odds are 1 out of 1 (or 100%)

What are the odds that an all-powerful creator could just "poof" exist on his own without being created by some even-more powerful creator?????

In other words, if you posit that the Universe just couldn't exist on its own, that it must have been created by a god, then you must, if you are intellectually-honest, apply the same reasoning to your creating-deity.

So how could your deity just exist without, in turn, being the product of another, more powerful, creator?

If "god" always existed, then, by the same logic and methodology, the Universe could just as well and easily always existed.

However, intellectual honesty is as scarce as hen's teeth when dealing with "god" and "believers".
I think your questions are interesting and will add as a theist how could a God who is spirit, interact with a physical world

Only what is physical can interact or have an effect on something which is physical, is that not true...?

Without energy, there is no universe. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. It would seem that energy always was. Is there a creator who is a form of energy yet, impervious to the second law? Is this what spirit may entail

If so, a form of creation may have always existed along with spirit. If multi verse is possible how can this not be a consideration?

If a form of existence has always existed along with spirit as possibly proposed above, would it be possible to speculate a unification of spirit
in consequence of the supplemental always was creation-energy, and thus define a unified God figure? A cycle of forever energy searching for consciousness to feed its conscious God, a unification comprising a possible nature-god.

I find basically the notion of God as an emphasized point or individual center of all too obvious, relative to a human individual thought .
For example...we thought the earth was flat at close glance relative to our immediate visual. A straight line more or less of ground or earth comprising the earth. The idea of creation involves time, another straight line. Individual theme in a God seems a direction, a straight line and only seems consistent with mans individual thought process and not....reality in the nature of all that we know....including mans social belonging. Something is obviously missing in contemporary mans thinking.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, eliminate those and what are we left with? The supernatural, which you have often told me you do not believe in? What else is there?
Abject fear of mortality which drives people to believe all sorts of mumbo jumbo, all versions of which contain "life-after-death" of one sort or another.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I believe you misread that on purpose, trickster... I understood the meaning perfectly, as my little toe has more power to accomplish things, than all the gods ever invented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality